Traverse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm not much of a mechanic, hoping to get a 2nd opinion of what i was told by mechanics around here.

we have a 2010 traverse that has around 160k kms on it, wife was coming home from work and the CEL started flashing and it was driving rough, mechanic we usually take it to was swamped but said take it here and i'll hook it up to the computer then said it was throwing a bunch of codes, said sometimes these vehicles will if the oil is really bad so he changed the oil/filters said it got rid of some of them but was still showing a bunch, suggested i take it to dealer to get a better diagnosis, gave me a printout of the codes it was showing which i will attach

2nd garage we took it to did what they call a lv 1 diagnosis, said "p0017/0019 misfire codes stored, found valve timing out, recommended replacing all timing chains/tensioners/guides, mentioned there is a problem with reluctors moving on crankshaft, suggesting to do a lv 2 diagnosis to see if reluctor moved which would apparently cost another 250$ to which i said no thanks, said 2800 to fix or 7800 for new engine, to me this is an overpriced quote to deter me from getting it done, lol which im not for that price

ive attached a pic of all the codes 1st mechanic pulled off of the vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have to say I don't think I've ever heard of an issue with the reluctor moving on the crank on these motors. I've seen it on LSx V8s, but even then its pretty rare and usually on rebuilt motors. It's not impossible, but I highly doubt its an issue with the crank reluctor. It is pretty likely it's a timing chain issue since that IS somewhat common on these engines, particularly '09 (there's a litany of threads on this in search) and to a lesser extent '10s, but occasionally I think we've seen posters with it on a '11 and up. P0008/0009 are pretty much the calling card for failed chains.

Unfortunately it's an expensive repair as you have found out. And a lot has to come apart to do the job, which is then reliant on the mechanic putting everything back together correctly.

Personally the 7800 for a new engine in a car coming up on 10 years 160k would be a hard pass from me. You might be able to save a few thousand and find a motor out of a junkyard and have that swapped in, but then you're left with the questionable maintenance it may have been subjected to.

I think it comes down to your choice of paying the 2800 and hoping it is done right and nothing else major fails (these cars aren't known for great transmission life either) or ditch the car for whatever you can get for it and buy something else. Certainly get a 2nd opinion at least, but the diagnosis and repair costs are not out of line in my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts