Traverse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do my own timing chain. Has anyone had good or bad luck with a particular brand? GM does not sell as "kit" I want good quality, dont want to do again!

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
408 Posts
There seems to be a common brand that I've seen many reference; unfortunately, I don't remember what the brand is. Suggest you do a search of the forum; it should pop up. Having said that, I don't think it's a matter of the chain--although that can be part of the problem--but the main issue is the oiling of the chains/chain guides. Too long of an interval between changes and letting the oil level get low are the prime contributory causes of early chain failure. Use a quality full synthetic, change at no more than 5,000 mile OCI, and monitor the oil level on the dipstick.

Edit: Just did a google search: Cloyes is the name I was trying to remember.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cloyes was one brand. Yes I am sure of the oil issue. Bad design and poor advice from GM. Should have been synthetic from beginning and not using oil life monitor! I wont know until i start opening up. 2010 with 120,000 miles hopefully goes well and get to last a little while longer. Just looking to see if anyone tried other chains. Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sounds like you have gotten a fairly decent life from the original; you can't have been doing much wrong! Good luck in your efforts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am going to do my own timing chain. Has anyone had good or bad luck with a particular brand? GM does not sell as "kit" I want good quality, dont want to do again!

Thanks,
John
do you have mechanical experience? this is a big job. there are several name brand kits on amazon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have mechanical experience? this is a big job. there are several name brand kits on amazon.
Vhehn

Yes i am pretty good. I have the tools to do it. Also live in so- cal so the weather is always on my side. I am also You Tube certified!! It does look like a PITA but in no hurry. I will probably go with Cloyes.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vhehn

Yes i am pretty good. I have the tools to do it. Also live in so- cal so the weather is always on my side. I am also You Tube certified!! It does look like a PITA but in no hurry. I will probably go with Cloyes.
Thanks

Hey Hello - Realize this is an old thread and post but I hope you're still around to offer a few suggestions:

1) Did you fix the problem? was the timing chain the solution? was there more to do?
2) Was a timing chain kit available? Did you go with the above mentioned brand?
3) Did you post a video of your work?

Thanks.

I am going through the same situation with my 2009 Traverse and I am weighing the options: replace the timing chain, replace the engine, junk the car, all the above.

Thanks again

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for delay in response. Yes it did fix problem. I did use the cloyed brand and was happy with it. I suggest you change your water pump also. I did not post any videos. I just took some photos. It is a lot of work. My engine light went out and cleared the codes all by itself. I was able to get smogged right away and has been good 8 months so far. Let me know if any other questions. Again sorry for late response.
John

·
Registered
2020 High Country
827 Posts
Sorry for delay in response. Yes it did fix problem. I did use the cloyed brand and was happy with it. I suggest you change your water pump also. I did not post any videos. I just took some photos. It is a lot of work. My engine light went out and cleared the codes all by itself. I was able to get smogged right away and has been good 8 months so far. Let me know if any other questions. Again sorry for late response.
John

Better late than never. Thanks for posting back a good result.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts