Traverse Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
we had gotten almost the entire motor redone about a month after we purchased it because there were issues with the timing chain and a couple of other things.
are you saying the replacement chain broke?

·
Registered
6 Posts
2011 Traverse engine failure

I have a 2011 Traverse that has 55023 miles and it started knocking when going down the highway. It got louder and shut down on us. Always change oil when it says too and no other issues. No warning lights no. I was told that the special warranty #11340 does not apply to my vehicle. really a vehicle with 55,023 miles just dies no warning and there is not something seriously flawed. I take care of my vehicle. I am told I have to have new engine or rebuild. Any suggestions out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update

I originally posted this. After taking it to the first Chevy dealer I took it to my local GM dealer. They advised me that I did not have timing chain issues and the first dealer I took it to was notorious for telling people this in an attempt to get money out of them. I'm now at 100K miles and other than having the Oxygen sensors changed, I haven't needed any work. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Traverse that has 55023 miles and it started knocking when going down the highway. It got louder and shut down on us. Always change oil when it says too and no other issues. No warning lights no. I was told that the special warranty #11340 does not apply to my vehicle. really a vehicle with 55,023 miles just dies no warning and there is not something seriously flawed. I take care of my vehicle. I am told I have to have new engine or rebuild. Any suggestions out there.
This is the exact same thing that happened to me only my 2011 traverse has 141000 miles on it, but I have always had regular oil changes done between 3-5k miles. It’s currently sitting at my dealership with 2 other 2011 Chevy traverse’s with the exact same problem. My engine is completely ruined and I now need a new one, which is quoted from the dealership at $9000(I know it can be cheaper) but with the fact that this keeps happening to this make and model, I would hope gm would step up and take responsibility, especially considering my vehicle isn’t even worth $9000 with a good engine to sell and I still owe $17000 on it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hate to say it nomorechevy, but your engine lasted extra-long because you took really good care of it. They are engineering these things to drive 100,000 miles trouble free (warranty period) and not much more… just past 100K they’ll suffer cost prohibitive catastrophic failures. That’s the what the General wants. They want you to have to go buy a new car. If you would have followed your oil life meter, you would have been changing oil at 10,000 mile plus intervals and you wouldn’t have gotten the 140K out of it – would have dropped dead by 110,000. I have a 2010 and I’m suffering the same nightmare. Timing chain job would cost more than the things worth. Really needed a reliable family car that would last, invested in Traverse and got burned by Chevy. There’s only one thing you can do, and that’s what you chose for your user name. No more Chevy is the solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Traverse LT. 94,000 miles. Just brought the car to the dealer for the power steering pump which is under warranty and check engine light. The power steering pump will be replaced at no cost, however the rack has to be replaced as well which they will not cover. The bad rack is most likely caused by the bad pump, but Chevy will not replace. Now onto the timing chain. It was replaced in March of 2015. now it needs to be replaced again. that is why the check engine light is on. Chevy will not cover this cost either. Lastly, the AC doesn't work, line is broken somewhere. Again, not covered. How many issues with the same car for many different people? Chevy knows these are constant issues, yet they do not correct them or repair at no cost for defective parts and constant issues. I'm at wits end with this. My next step is LEGAL COUNSEL about this defective engine.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I have a 2011 Traverse LT. 94,000 miles. Just brought the car to the dealer for the power steering pump which is under warranty and check engine light. The power steering pump will be replaced at no cost, however the rack has to be replaced as well which they will not cover. The bad rack is most likely caused by the bad pump, but Chevy will not replace. Now onto the timing chain. It was replaced in March of 2015. now it needs to be replaced again. that is why the check engine light is on. Chevy will not cover this cost either. Lastly, the AC doesn't work, line is broken somewhere. Again, not covered. How many issues with the same car for many different people? Chevy knows these are constant issues, yet they do not correct them or repair at no cost for defective parts and constant issues. I'm at wits end with this. My next step is LEGAL COUNSEL about this defective engine.
Im knocking really hard on wood....
as my 2010 is now at 137,200 and im still on the factory chain, factory rack, factory PS pump, factory AC charge....

its a question of time..........:surprise:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this a joke?

I just got over 50000 miles on my 2011 traverse and I was just told the same thing that I have timing chain issues or it could mean I need to replace the engine. I'm absolutely livid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update, I just had my Traverse in for the 2nd time in 18 months for timing chains. While that is fixed, I now have a new problem, every time I accelerate, "All Wheel Drive Off" comes on and I have a tough time steering. Mine is a 2010 with 82,000 miles, I'm the original owner. Any ideas on what this new problem is? I told my husband it's time to get rid of it, but after just spending so much on the 2nd timing chain job, he says we need to keep it for awhile. He has a 2016 Toyota Highlander, btw - we traded in his Chevy Avalanche for it two years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timing Chain Issues

I bought a 2012 2LT Traverse from the dealer with 15,890 miles on it in October of 2012. It has been a really good, reliable vehicle and is now up to 123,000 miles. After reading horror stories about timing chains on older Traverses, I contacted a Chevy dealer and talked directly to a mechanic expressing concern about a likely need to eventually replace the timing chain yet saw no written advice about that in the manual. The mechanic said the 2012 was a solid year and to "forget about the timing chain". Does this literally mean I can go 200,000 miles on the original timing chain? I change the oil when ONSTAR says to do so and use totally synthetic oil. Any advice?

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I bought a 2012 2LT Traverse from the dealer with 15,890 miles on it in October of 2012. It has been a really good, reliable vehicle and is now up to 123,000 miles. After reading horror stories about timing chains on older Traverses, I contacted a Chevy dealer and talked directly to a mechanic expressing concern about a likely need to eventually replace the timing chain yet saw no written advice about that in the manual. The mechanic said the 2012 was a solid year and to "forget about the timing chain". Does this literally mean I can go 200,000 miles on the original timing chain? I change the oil when ONSTAR says to do so and use totally synthetic oil. Any advice?

Just make sure you check oil level often and make sure it stays up by the full mark.

Low oil levels- even with synthetic- can lead to accelerated wear of the chains.

Theres members on here with over 200,000 on factory chains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a used Chevy Traverse yesterday from a small dealer,... I looked all over the vehicle for 2 plus hours and even went underneath the SUV to check things out, this Traverse was in excellent condition for the year and had no rust except for very very little underneath in a few spots, nothing serious ( top rust spots ). bought the car and went to my sisters house to show my brother-in- law the Traverse,.... well guess what,..my sister was sitting in the passenger seat and said " the engine light is on " my brother-in-law was sitting in the drivers seat and said " no it's not" ,...my sister said yes, look at the dash from my angle,... he leaned over and there it was,.. how could I have missed this !!!! the interior of the Traverse is black and the dash instrument panel background is also black, the dealer put black electrical tape over the check engine light !!!! so when you are sitting in the driver seat you can't notice the small black tape covering the check engine light, what a scammer !! I was mad at myself for not noticing this,.. the dealer was closed so I went home and plugged in my OBD II reader and read the code,, yup,, it was P0008 !!!! F*ck'in timing chain error !!! The engine idles and run's smooth, no engine noises, nothing, run's great, but ... for how long !? I'm going back to the shady dealer tomorrow !! WTF !! After reading all the posts here about this junk engine GM I am worried now, wish I would have found this site earlier. Buyer beware !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Might not be a bad idea to bring a scanner with you when you look at used vehicles, I have a little bluetooth model I purchased after learning another member on here uses it. Fits right in my pocket and connects to my phone.

Still, pretty lame this happened and I hope they take the car back.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just purchased a used Chevy Traverse yesterday from a small dealer,... I looked all over the vehicle for 2 plus hours and even went underneath the SUV to check things out, this Traverse was in excellent condition for the year and had no rust except for very very little underneath in a few spots, nothing serious ( top rust spots ). bought the car and went to my sisters house to show my brother-in- law the Traverse,.... well guess what,..my sister was sitting in the passenger seat and said " the engine light is on " my brother-in-law was sitting in the drivers seat and said " no it's not" ,...my sister said yes, look at the dash from my angle,... he leaned over and there it was,.. how could I have missed this !!!! the interior of the Traverse is black and the dash instrument panel background is also black, the dealer put black electrical tape over the check engine light !!!! so when you are sitting in the driver seat you can't notice the small black tape covering the check engine light, what a scammer !! I was mad at myself for not noticing this,.. the dealer was closed so I went home and plugged in my OBD II reader and read the code,, yup,, it was P0008 !!!! F*ck'in timing chain error !!! The engine idles and run's smooth, no engine noises, nothing, run's great, but ... for how long !? I'm going back to the shady dealer tomorrow !! WTF !! After reading all the posts here about this junk engine GM I am worried now, wish I would have found this site earlier. Buyer beware !
Wow! If I didn't have a full refund of any moneys spent and cancellation of any loans taken out (and they pay the fees for cancellation) I would next be contacting a lawyer, BBB, local prosecutor, etc. to ensure that does not happen to anyone else!

Could be they bought it from auction or another dealer and it was already like that, and it would suck for them if it did but the only way to take care of this properly is immediate and full restitution to you the purchaser.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a fairly common occurrence on the Traverse and it because of a design flaw. I think you should contact a lawyer if you’ve encountered timing chain issues with your Traverse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my fiancés 2011 chevy traverse needs the timing chain replaced. I had the 2010 with the recall; does the 2011 have the same recall?.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts