Traverse Forum banner

921 - 935 of 935 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got P0017 and P0008 code one week ago.

When driving the car, did not feel anything bad or loss of performance.

2011 Traverse LT. 68000 miles. Built around July 2010.

Original owner, well maintained. Kept most of oil change receipts,
we changed oil mostly between every 7K or 8K miles, when OLM shows about 30%_40% left

We are Dallas area, one dealer quoted for $3,400 to do timing chain replacement (not including $120 for diagnostic),
and the service advisor
agreed to talk with service manager and asked for GM assistance.

I also did online chat with GM custom service and did not get help.

Will update more later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
-------- update 1 -------
Local dealer said GM can share 50% of the cost, out of door cost for me is $1600 + $160
for coolant flush. But warranty is only 12 month and 12K miles.

Called Chevrolet customer service again, hoping them to increase the cost coverage to 60%,
after a long hold and exchange my personal information they still said warranty expried
and I have to pay everything out of pocket. Even I said the dealer already received GM
assistance to pay half the cost, she still insisted no such thing.
It seems dealer service manager were talking to different department of Chevrolet.

Also called a local reputable and capable autoshop, they charge $2900 for parts and labor,
but can provide 36 month and 36K miles warranty on labor and parts

·
Registered
133 Posts
For what it's worth, I'll add my experience to this thread. Made it to 167,000 miles on my 2010 but the dreaded P0008 happened. Bought used at 99,000, but it had been well maintained with oil changes every 5-6000 miles. I changed oil every 5000 with Dexos-approved oil even though it didn't officially call for Dexos yet. Traded it and bought a 2015 Honda Pilot instead after the P0008 meant it wasn't going to pass e-check without major repairs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
----------- update 2 -----------------
After 10 days of waiting for parts, finally the timing chain repair was done in dealership,
picked up my car yesterday, out of pocket a little more than $1,700.

Let's see how long it can last this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've recently started having problems with my '09 Traverse with the check engine light being on and the two codes P0008 and P0017 being stored.
The car has about 18,700 miles on the clock. Took it the dealer and they claimed to have cleared the codes and that they couldn't replicate the problem. They also said the 'engine oil was dirty'. The oil only had 3300 miles on it and I mostly do highway driving (changed ever 5K miles). So I had them change the oil and claimed this problem was resolved. Within 5 minutes of picking up the car, the check engine light came on again. Pulled my code reader out of the glove box and again the same 2 codes. Went right back and told them about it but I haven't returned it to be checked out again yet.

I know that the Acadias and Outlooks had timing chain issues that caused this type of problem but I would have thought this issue should have been resolved by the time the Traverses were released in late 2008. The car has reduced power and the gas milage has decreased by about 15-20%.
And with a bit of further internet research I found a document, PIP3423B, that doesn't list the Traverse but all of other GM models with the LLT LP1 and LY7 engines. Here is an excerpt from the document:

Condition/Concern: Vehicles with 3.6 LY7, 3.6 LLT or 2.8 LP1 may exhibit DTC P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0008 or P0009.
Recommendation/Instructions: The reluctor for the crankshaft sensor pressed on the crankshaft may have moved. Refer to attached photographs for exact location. If the reluctor has moved then replace crankshaft.

Has anyone with an early model '09 Traverse had a similar problem?
I have been having the same problem and have not found any resolution yet. The check engine light has been on for over a year, has been reset many, many times. Same P0008 and P0017 Codes. My mechanic says it is a "phantom light"!! After reset, it generally goes about 10 blocks and the light comes back on. Ugh!

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
Sounds to me like the vehicle has been warning you for over a year- that the chains are wearing,
Dont be surprised if one of these days the chains are loose enough to jump a tooth or 2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2010 Lt I don't drive my car that often so let it fo for a long time with out taking care of the problem, olmo the fact the its almost $3000 to get it fix, i finely got it done ..I had some many issues with this car that we have decides the we'll never get an other chevy, just little over the 50k miles i hale to replace bairings on the Rear Weels.. water pump and timing belt repack at 70k plus miles, now after changing the tpm monitors at cosco the computer is having problems reseting to communicate with the new tpm monitors.. so e mad at GMC .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had to replace my timing chains on a 2010 Chevy Traverse LS at 50,000 miles. Religiously changed the oil on schedule. Dealer comped us 50% of the cost. Not cool Chevy...not cool.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If by schedule you mean when the OLM told you to, it's known the OLM was overly optimistic. They SHOULD have reprogrammed it after changing the chain. And there's some who think it's STILL overly conservative even with the new programming. You also need to make sure the oil level is up. The early engines would use 1/2-1 qts of oil OR MORE in 5000 miles.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If by schedule you mean when the OLM told you to, it's known the OLM was overly optimistic. They SHOULD have reprogrammed it after changing the chain. And there's some who think it's STILL overly conservative even with the new programming. You also need to make sure the oil level is up. The early engines would use 1/2-1 qts of oil OR MORE in 5000 miles.
Well, thus the conundrum of many owners. If his '10 never went in for any kind of warranty service before the chains failed, he'd still have the old OLM programming. Not really his fault for adhering to it.

And you're right about even the revision possibly being too liberal (are we using the right terms lol?) with the interval mileage being long. I just leased a '19 Colorado, was kind of eye opening that it called for the first change at 2900 miles (just under 10% OLM) on the LGZ 3.6 V6. I'll allow for it being very conservative for the first since it's break in mileage (even though MFG's have long said break in is no longer needed) and cold NY winter weather. But even my second change is shaping up to be in the ~3500 mile range as spring comes. Far cry from the 6k+ on our '17 Traverse or the 10-12k on the old Traverse algorithms. And here even I've been preaching the 3K OCI is a thing of the past!

·
Registered
551 Posts
OK so I was wrong on my mileage for oil change schedule. :oops:.
I just changed it today with 5,170, and the OLM was at 27%.
The equinox 6 cylinder, was at 13% and 5,300 miles.
Both got M1.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good article. Unfortunately the Supertech Oil from Walmat is only GF-5 spec. I cannot see the Kirkland spec. The stock of M1 I have in the garage is all GF-5 so it will be a few more changes till I get to the GF-6.
I am optimistic that the GF-6 formula will fight the carbon buildup on the valves. Any thoughts on that?
I know that Acura is battling issues with pressure on the pistons, and excessive oil consumption, I take it that GF-6 will help that.
Valvoline makes Synthetic for modern engines which touts fighting carbon buildup, but it is only GF-5.
US_Val_ModernEngine_MO_EN.pdf - DocuSign CLM

·
Registered
120 Posts
Most of the oils discussed in this thread are rated "SN Plus". The differences between GF-6 and a GF-5 "SN Plus" oil are supposed to be tiny....
I too have a stockpile of SN Plus to work through before I purchase any GF-6 oils.

921 - 935 of 935 Posts