Traverse Forum banner

901 - 920 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
getting it fixed the sooner the better....

·
Registered
12 Posts
getting it fixed the sooner the better....
Appreciate the reply. Serious question...if I understand correctly, it's a non-interference engine. Right? So if the chain were to break, it would likely be the same repair as just replacing the chain (maybe some added damaged due to the chain being broken, but nothing major), correct? I assume as it wears more, the engine will run rougher and the issues will become more urgent.

I read that a defective oil filter can sometimes cause this issue....any thoughts on that? I received the P0008 immediately after an oil change. I changed the filter last night (to an OEM PF-48 ), and am curious if this helps. Really hoping to delay replacing the timing chain if at all possible.

I'm still pretty new to the platform. I've had suburbans in the past, and loved them. But so far, my Traverse experience has been kind of mixed.

Thanks again for the advice (I've found many of your other posts to be very useful and informative)!

·
Registered
1 Posts
P0008

i have a 2010 traverse with 120072 miles and the dealer said to bad its out of warranty on the timing chain issue. should i contact a different service department and see what they have to say? GM says i need a extended warranty specifically for my VIN. Load of BS.. stand by your product and less than adequate engineering design. really flash the pcm and change the oil sooner, and have owner drive the car until out of warranty and them SOL. What to do.....service bulletin says 120,000 miles. there are 3 other bulletins and two of them have mileage until 120,128 and the other is 150,128. We are talking about 72 miles,,,,,,

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
last I saw-- the 2010s are not included in the timing chain extended warranty. to 120,000.

there a new document out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well crud. Dug through some paperwork and found that the engine was swapped out because of chain slippage, causing valve contact and significant compression leakage. So I guess I'm stuck biting the bullet....on a vehicle that I've owned for about a year and a half. :-(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well crud. Dug through some paperwork and found that the engine was swapped out because of chain slippage, causing valve contact and significant compression leakage. So I guess I'm stuck biting the bullet....on a vehicle that I've owned for about a year and a half. :-(
Vehicle is at the dealership now. Oddly enough, the CEL has not come back on. I've put on around 1,000 miles since Friday afternoon when it was reset. So...maybe there is some truth to the oild filter being a potential cause. Guess I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From page 9-42 of the Service Manual;

DTC P0008: Engine Position System Performance Bank 1

Circuit/System Description: The engine Control Module (ECM) tests for a misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine & the crankshaft. The misalignment would be at an idler sprocket for either bank or at the crankshaft. Once the ECM learns the position of both camshafts on one bank of the engine, the ECM compares the learned values to a reference value. The ECM will set a DTC if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.

Conditions for running the DTC:
- engine operating for > 50 seconds
- engine coolant between 0-95 C (32-203 F)
- calculated engine oil temp < 120 C (248 F)
- the engine must accelerate such that the CMP actuator system is commanded from the park position to the phased position. This is considered a cam control cycle. There must be a minimum of 2 cam control cycles for at least 2.5 seconds each, in the phased position.
- DTC 0008 run continuously once the above conditions are met, approx 600 seconds

Conditions for setting the DTC:
The ECM detects that both camshafts on either bank of the engine are mis-aligned with the crankshaft, greater than 6 degrees, for greater than 4 seconds or a cumulative of 30 seconds.

Diagnostic Aids:
The presence of DTC P0008 along with P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 indicates a possible condition with the primary timing chain and the alignment between both intermediate sprockets and the crankshaft. Or, the crankshaft reluctor wheel has moved and is no longer referenced to top dead center (TDC)
Observe the scan tool CMP Desired, Actual, and Angle Variance parameters before a DTC sets. This may help to isolate whether a condition is specific to one camshaft, one bank, or caused by a condition with the primary crankshaft timing.

Circuit / System Verification
1. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool
2. Allow the engine to reach the normal operating temperature.
3. Idle the engine for 10 minutes or until a DTC sets. Observe the DTC info with a scan tool, DTC 0008 should not be set.
4. Operate the vehicle within the "Conditions for Running the DTC" to verify the DTC does not reset.

Circuit/System Testing
1. Inspect the timing chains and tensioners for excessive wear or misalignment - repair as necessary
2. Inspect the crankshaft reluctor wheel for being mis-positioned on the crankshaft - repair as necessary
I recently purchased a 2010 Traverse with 82k miles. Within 24 hours the engine light came on and the acceleration was jumpy. Error Code P0008. The dealership says they have ordered a position sensor and they believe this to be the problem. After what I have read on these forums, I find it hard to believe that is the only thing wrong with my vehicle. Any input? I am not mechanically inclined and really want them to fix it right while its under their care/costs...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone!
I am new to the forum and I joined due to the frustration with the timing chain in my 2010 Chevrolet Traverse (built on 11/09). I bought it certified in 2013with 18K miles. Now , at 69K the timing chain failed with P0008 fault code. This car was only driven by my wife to work, and taken on vacation for long trips. I maintained this car myself with only Mobil1 Synthetic extended life (guaranteed for 15K miles ) changed at around 20% oil life every time.

I called Chevrolet customer assistance center, explained the issue to a "first level advisor" in Philippines. That was Thursday. The lady was sympathetic and she said since I have no claims GM will help me out one way or another (monetary assistance for repair) but I need to go to the dealer and get the car diagnostic. I forgot to say I diagnosed the car myself and got some dealer quotes.
Friday night, while at a child football game, I've got a message asking if I had any trouble contacting the dealership . The dealer was contacted a day before, after I called customer assistance for the first time and made an appointment for Monday Afternoon. I planed to call back Customer assistance Monday. Monday morning, while at work another voice mail stating the case was close due to multiple contacts attempts and no answer.
Obviously I called again and talked to a different person and explained to her the same issue. She reopened my case but it will be forwarded to a senior adviser. Next day, Tuesday, I talked to that senior advisor (looks like she was in USA) and here is the frustrating part:

I explained to her the issue again and basically she give me the cold shoulder stating the car is out of warranty (100K or 5 Yrs whichever comes first) and she can't do anything for me. I explained also that I am a GM person, with more than 15 GM cars bought in the last 20 yrs (new and used) and I am a big advocate for GM . I even got in a fight once over it. I convinced most of my friends and relative to buy GM cars as well.
I told here that my car was built with the faulty part made in China in 2009 before the new redesigned chain was introduced in mid 2010. I heard the same play over and over again like I was talking to a broken vinyl record and when I explain that are numerous cases of 2010 faulty timing chains she said she can't confirm or denies the fact and she is not a technical person to understand the issue (timing chain failure at 69K) .
I said I will consider other manufacturers because of poor customer service she said go ahead.

All that conversation was in a very polite and respectful manner but I lost my temper after I hung up.
Today I will pick up the car and pay for the repair $2500.

That conversation should have been heard by Marry Barra because she tries to change the customer perception of the company, but with this attitude she will loose the few loyal left.

·
Registered
2 Posts
09 Chevy Traverse

I am having the same problem with a 09 Chevy Traverse. Naturally the Chevy dealer does not now what a P0008 code is but ONSTAR and AutoZone do But for 47.58 I can bring it in and get a diagnostic test from the Chevy dealer ran. Then all I have to worry about is the Chevy dealer actually being honest and telling me what exactly is wrong. This vehicle is as I stated a 09 and has less than 100,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there any other way to deal with the P0008 issue? Could the ECM be reprogrammed to allow a little more variance in the timing before throwing the code?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I am having the same problem with a 09 Chevy Traverse. Naturally the Chevy dealer does not now what a P0008 code is but ONSTAR and AutoZone do But for 47.58 I can bring it in and get a diagnostic test from the Chevy dealer ran. Then all I have to worry about is the Chevy dealer actually being honest and telling me what exactly is wrong. This vehicle is as I stated a 09 and has less than 100,000 miles on it.
Get to the dealer QUICK.
If it is indeed the timing chain-

you have the 10 yr/120,000 mile warranty on the timing chain.

If you get it done at another outside shop- you most likely WILL NOT be reimbursed.

And yes- the Dealer knows what the P0008 code is.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Is there any other way to deal with the P0008 issue? Could the ECM be reprogrammed to allow a little more variance in the timing before throwing the code?
I think it was the 2009's that had a software patch to the ECM or PCM to allow more variance before the CEL was set for this code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Traverse 2LT. 106,000 miles. Original owner, well maintained.
Just had a "Engine Power Reduced" episode (rough run, white smoke - oil/gasoline smell), but no P0008 or P0017 code. Just P0300, P0302, P0304, P0306 misfire codes (Random misfire, cyl 2/4/6). It lasted 30 seconds at near idle speed. I parked, turned the engine off, waited 5 minutes and then restarted. It ran normally after that. Over the preceding 6 months, it has dropped into a similar rough idle twice, but only for a couple of seconds each time and with no noticeable smoke. No warnings appeared during those episodes.
I was planning on replacing the vehicle in the next year or so. A 2018 Traverse WAS on my radar, but it still has the same basic engine. Is it time to dump this one and move away from Chevy?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
you may have carbon buildup causing your issues.
You can run some CRC intake valve cleaner to see if it helps.

The newer 3.6- has changed a bit.
Can now handle stop/start and Displacement on demand----

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 Traverse, just flipped 100,000 miles. a couple of days ago I drove it with no problems, the next morning I tried to start it, it turned over but wouldn't start. I towed it to an auto shop they told me that no codes came up on the diagnostics & the "feeling" was it was the timing chain. Quoted me a $4000 to fix.
I didnt believe them so im getting a second opinion from another mechanic, he said he didnt feel it was timing issue related.
My question is could it be something as easy as a bad alternator?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
with limited info

Could be
the High pressure fuel pump (attached to engine)
the low pressure fuel pump (in gas tank)
or other issues.

if the alternator was bad--- the vehicle would start and run... as long as the battery had the proper voltage.
Eventually youd get the message on DIC about items being powered down to conserve power... Youd prob also see the light for the alternator/battery.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 2010 Traverse, just flipped 100,000 miles. a couple of days ago I drove it with no problems, the next morning I tried to start it, it turned over but wouldn't start. I towed it to an auto shop they told me that no codes came up on the diagnostics & the "feeling" was it was the timing chain. Quoted me a $4000 to fix.
I didnt believe them so im getting a second opinion from another mechanic, he said he didnt feel it was timing issue related.
My question is could it be something as easy as a bad alternator?
The timing chain can jump when it's shut off if there's slack in it due to quick stopping of the engine. I've seen this a few times on belts and chain engines. Since it just happened it may not had enough time to check itself for a problem so no codes yet.

If I had a feeling the timing chain jumped I could use an in cylinder pressure transducer with a scope to see if the pattern looks good and valve opening/closing events happen at the correct time.

As mentioned above if the fuel is an issue a shot of carburetor spray in the intake could start the engine and prove this out.

4k seems high. I did one in our shop on a 2009 and the bill was $3200 IIRC. Here in the mid west the labor rates will be cheaper. I had mine done at a dealer under warranty and the bill was a little over 2k which included chains and cam sprockets.

The scope can also be hooked up to the crank and cam sensors to see their exact correlation. This is a common thing techs do and they are always looking for known good waveforms to verify this.

It may be in your best interest to have this diagnosed properly to be sure. On the other hand if their diagnosis is incorrect they should cover the job for you. It's already there so maybe let them do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did smell fuel when I was trying to start it, kinda like it was flooded.
I just really have a hard time believing that the timing went all of a sudden with absolutely no indication.
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did smell fuel when I was trying to start it, kinda like it was flooded.
I just really have a hard time believing that the timing went all of a sudden with absolutely no indication.
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.
I was thinking last night that if the timing chain was stretched enough it may set a code before failure like most do.

901 - 920 of 943 Posts