Traverse Forum banner

881 - 900 of 935 Posts

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
JPayne said:
Always get the oil changed when the light comes on within 1 full tank of gas. I thought the 2010 was already programmed to have you change the oil at less miles since they had so many problems with the 2009. Don't know the brand of oil since my wife has it done normally and we tell them to put in whatever the manufacturer recommends. I check the oil about every 2 tanks of gas and it has never been less than halfway between the top and bottom marks but I went ahead and put a half quart in just to be safe and that only happened 1 time. Thanks
when the light came on--- so that was 7000-10,000 mile oil change intervals?

back in 2009/2010---- I, and several other members who had used oil analysis noticed that the oil life was not reflecting what the oil life monitor was showing.
the oil was much more deteriorated than the monitor showed. The Direct Injection engines were beating up the oil big time. Others noticed that they also had highly elevated levels or iron- which I believe was iron being shed from the timing chains.
I ran several Used oil analysis to get a good basis of oil life.
I use regular Valvoline. I settled on 5,000 miles or 50% Oil life.

Eventually- GM updated the OLM on the 2009's.... the oil change interval was now- 5000 miles.

I also check my oil level- and make sure the level remains up above the full mark.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
JPayne said:
I have a 2010 Traverse that I bought brand new. I have always changed oil as recommended. Dealer replaced timing chains at 78000 miles. Now 50000 miles later at 130000 they need replaced again. We keep great maintenance on our Traverse. Doesn't seem like GM has corrected this problem yet. From what I've read on this forum looks like I'm going to be calling the local dealer that did the work and also GM to see what can be done and at least get a discount on the cost.
Hey JPayne,

Our team would be more than happy to act as an extra layer of assistance while you work with your dealership to have your concerns resolved. If this is of interest to you, please send a private message with your VIN, current mileage, the name of the dealership you’re working with, and your full contact information.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Hey JPayne,

Our team would be more than happy to act as an extra layer of assistance while you work with your dealership to have your concerns resolved. If this is of interest to you, please send a private message with your VIN, current mileage, the name of the dealership you’re working with, and your full contact information.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi, i try to send message to you, but in my Outbox i don't see anything:( Could you contact with me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had to take my 2010 Traverse in at 30,000 miles to have timing chain fixed. Now 61,000 miles timing chain has jumped and broke piston, cracked the head. Of course warranty is out and I don't have the money blue book states its worth 11,000, what would you do by the way no codes came up on to tell me anything was wrong

·
Registered
5 Posts
jj2010 said:
Had to take my 2010 Traverse in at 30,000 miles to have timing chain fixed. Now 61,000 miles timing chain has jumped and broke piston, cracked the head. Of course warranty is out and I don't have the money blue book states its worth 11,000, what would you do by the way no codes came up on to tell me anything was wrong
did you have warranty when you fix first time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Hey JPayne,

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
please, answer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Poor Customer Service

I have 106000 km on my 2010 Traverse, and I get my oil changed every 5000 km.

I just got off the phone with a Customer Care Ambassador. The beginning of April the engine light came on and I brought it to a shop near work. He ran the codes and I got the dreaded P008 and P0017. I researched the issue and saw it was a known problem. I called my dealer the next day where I had all major work done. They told me it was off warranty, and there was no special consideration for the 2010 but there was one for the 2009. I protested and they said I could call GM to file a formal complaint. I called GM and filled a complaint. What was supposed to take a week, took three and I heard back today. The Ambassador said it took a while to hear back from the dealer. She told me I had to bring it to the dealer to get and pay for a diagnostic test. She looked at my file and said I only had four days to get it to the dealer for the diagnostic test. She explained that sometimes they give a seven year window from the purchase date. Depending on how the investigation goes and what the dealer says, the repair may be covered or partially covered. I protested and said I don't mind paying for the diagnostic test but I may not get it into the dealer in the next four days as I have moved and the dealer I dealt with was over an hour from work. She put me on hold...

She came back and said there is nothing they could do. She offered to book me a time for the diagnostic and repair but said it would ALL be at my cost. What a disappointment.

I understand that the dealer needs to be involved to properly diagnose the problem, but they should have told me this right away- not have me wait for three weeks and basically tell me it is too late to have anything covered sight unseen. Why didn't GM tell me to take it to the dealer when I called initially? Why didn't the dealer call me when they received the paper work from GM?

The timing chain should not go. My father has always bought GM, and I have always bought GM. I bought my 2010 traverse when GM was struggling. I was proud to buy American and I enjoyed my vehicle up until now.

I calmly told the Customer Care Ambassador that I was unhappy with how this issue was handled and that I will consider buying another brand of car with a more comprehensive powertrain warranty. She told me that GM has the best power train warranty out of all manufactures. Really?!?

·
Registered
451 Posts
GM used to have one of the best power train warranties. Then they decided to go from 5/100 to 5/60.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey JPayne,

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Private Message to that account says box is full...(same on SaturnOutlookForum and EnclaveForum). Anyone have a recent way to contact GM Customer Service for the 3.6L timing chain issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't go back through 34 pages, but has this been posted in here yet?

I would take a copy of that TSB to the dealer, at 113K miles you are still eligible. If they give you grief about having a '10 and it only applying to the '09 I would raise a stink and get GM Customer Service involved.
I just did that and No Joy! While the GM agent and her supervisor were polite, they did not step up and cover our 2010 Outlook for this exact issue. There is a $3000 repair staring us in the face. I told them and meant it that they have lost an entire family of future GM customers from us over $1,500 (what I was expecting in terms of out-of-warranty assistance on something they should have covered in full after the light went on for it the first time while still under the Special Coverage Adjustment (version C) at 120K). We may elect to not fix it and put this 6yr old vehicle with a defective engine up for sale for parts and try a different cross-over from another Manufacturer...

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have 2011 Traverse with 63,000 Miles. We have been diligent in changing the oil every 3-5k miles. We got the P0008 code and now the dealer says our timing chain is stretched. This makes no sense. How does a timing chain stretch at 63,000 miles? Our dealer called GM and GM told them that they would cover 55% of the repair cost leaving us with 45% or about $1,400 since our powertrain warranty has expired. Our dealer said it would take about 3 days to change the timing chain. It sounds like these vehicles have timing chain problems. We live in California and we have received numerous letters from lawyers about this vehicle potentially being a lemon. Does anyone have any advice/opinion on what we should do? Has anyone heard of traverses being lemons? We have had other issues as well; power steering pump replaced, two motor mounts changed, water pump replaced, air bag recalled, and seat belts recalled. Any advice?

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
We have 2011 Traverse with 63,000 Miles. We have been diligent in changing the oil every 3-5k miles. We got the P0008 code and now the dealer says our timing chain is stretched. This makes no sense. How does a timing chain stretch at 63,000 miles? Our dealer called GM and GM told them that they would cover 55% of the repair cost leaving us with 45% or about $1,400 since our powertrain warranty has expired. Our dealer said it would take about 3 days to change the timing chain. It sounds like these vehicles have timing chain problems. We live in California and we have received numerous letters from lawyers about this vehicle potentially being a lemon. Does anyone have any advice/opinion on what we should do? Has anyone heard of traverses being lemons? We have had other issues as well; power steering pump replaced, two motor mounts changed, water pump replaced, air bag recalled, and seat belts recalled. Any advice?
The timing chain issue affected the 2009 and previous models- for various reasons.
the chain does not really stretch--- it wears to the point that theres enough looseness- that it appears stretched.

some tweaks were done for 2010 and up.
2010's - some reports of chain issues- but much less than 09
2011's- less than 2010s
2012a - much less ...

for vehicles after 2010----even though some owners are changing oil every 5000 miles.... they are neglecting to check the OIL LEVEL.

I would take the offer of assistance.
Have the chain repaired and from then on- continue with 5000 mile oil changes--- but check your oil often.
THe manual states at every gas fill up.

Folks on here say I'm OCD- but I check my oil level every weekend. On a cold engine.
My last oil change interval was shy of 5000 miles.... I added 1.3 qts over that 5000 miles to keep the oil level at full.... now at 128,300 and knock on wood-- no chain issues yet...

I live in California (LA).
I get the ambulance chasing lawyer letters in the mail all the time.
For my Traverse and Equinox.

On the letters- some say ADVERTISEMENT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please add me to the list of 2009 Traverse Owners with PO017 issues on the timing chain being faulty. Unfortunately like many, my CEL came on at 122,896 and I took it to the dealer for repair. While sitting in the lobby of the Service Department, I found this forum and I notified them of the 1134B Special Coverage Adjustment. Needless to say they quickly denied my claim due to the expiration of the coverage at 120k miles. Other than complaining to the Service Manager and to the Sales Dept who my husband bought his 2014 Silverado, has anyone had any success in with getting this defective design resolved with any rational person at GM? I got quoted $2473 like many for the repair but don't think a car that is only valued in good condition at $3500 is worth salvaging. Needless to say this is the last GM vehicle that I will buy and we are seriously considering selling off the Silverado and going with Toyota from here on. My suggestion to anyone reading this forum is to sell any 2009 Traverse with under 120k miles because this is an issue that GM will not stand by.

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
go buy a new Toyota for $35,000 ????

Id just spend the $2500 on the trans...
and while the engine/trans is out---
have a new water pump put in, new serpentine belt, new plugs, coils, new coolant hoses, maybe a decarbonization... add maybe another $1000--- so $3500----- and then drive the Traverse till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever have a solution to this problem? I've gone through the exact same thing (dealership twice, independence once. told oil was gunky, light reset at least 4 times), now I just ignore the light.

I'm taking the car to the dealer for a recall fix, and am going to push again for an answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've run into the same issue. Purchased a used 2010 Traverse about 18 months ago. As soon as we drove it off the lot, we got a catalytic converter check engine light. Turns out, the dealer replaced the engine before we bought it. They kept using the term "new engine", but we don't have it in writing. My guess is they put in a used engine and hoped no one would notice. My odometer shows ~160,000, and I'm now getting the P0008 CEL. No other issues with the engine that I can tell. I change the oil at about 5,000 miles, and always use Pennzoil synthetic (I see that is recommended over Mobil1). 18 months after buying and we have to fork out 1/4 of the vehicle's value in repairs? Not in any way acceptable.

If one is only receiving the P0008 code, what's the recommended plan of action? I've seen some say that you need a new chain immediately, while others say as long as you don't have emissions testing, you can keep driving without any major issues. I've reset the code twice so far.....typically seems to take a day or two to reappear.

881 - 900 of 935 Posts