Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Enclave. Needing to pull left head due to bent exhaust valve. (sparkplug ceramic broke and either is stuck in exhaust valve or... bent valve). Anyway. I've looked online, watched cloyes video, gotten a chilten book. NONE talk about lining up timing marks. I'm old school. #1 tdc comp stroke which is where I'm at now, and main chain marks are lined up... neither of the cam chains come close to lining up. What am I doing wrong? Can I pull chains and line up marks when installing or?? I've rotated this engine over easily a hundred times and cannot get all of the marks lined up... or even close.
thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, the timing mark is at the 5:00 position... now where do the cam marks need to be?? this is whats confusing me.. they dont even come close to lining up.. im going to be pulling both heads and cleaning and replacing valve seals and possibly an exhaust valve on #2.... i just want to make sure that the timing is where its suppose to be before i tear it all apart!! with the crank lined up, can i pull everything and then line the cams up when i put it back together??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive watched this one and cloyes...... they contradict eachother on a couple things.... like i said... **** doesnt sound right... maybe im overthinking it... just dont want to nuke my car... lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
watched it again... makes sense with the cam holders... the cloyes doesnt use them..... they rotate the crank to stage 2.... lol it makes more sense now that ive watched it again.... ill dive in.... thank you!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.... 1 new exhaust valve, new timing component set, special ordered cam holders... got all put together and had P0019 cam/crank corrolation.... did some reading and if there is a valve issue to replace phasers and actuators... had to save up for those and got them in today... triple checked timing marks once again. got all back together, still has P0019 code and now the P0106 map fault.. wtf am i overlooking??? 2 months my wifes car has been down over a broken sparkplug that ate a valve.. im doing this in my driveway... inframe... sadly... ive got r&r of timing cover down to a T..... uuugghhhh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to clarify before I pull the chain.

You rotate the crank so bank 1 is at TDC, remove the chain from bank 1 then rotate the crank and set bank 2 at TDC, insert the lock tool and remove the chain then move the crank to line up the oil pump and then begin installing the new chain beginning with bank 2 etc...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts