Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. It started about a week ago. Its doesnt sound like knocking which would be the worst case scenario. I was wondering if it could be a timing belt or pulley bearing?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I always heard this very light ticking sound when the engine idle. Can hardly hear it. This is normal according to the dealer. Someone can explain this on the forum. I was told that it was the fuel system pumps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same sound, I assume. I wish we could upload sounds to the forum. I took a recording of it today when I was in replacing my evap/purge solenoid. My sound clicks about 17-18 times in 10 sec

2011 Traverse LS

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
So I have noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. It started about a week ago. Its doesnt sound like knocking which would be the worst case scenario. I was wondering if it could be a timing belt or pulley bearing?

Which model year?
On the 1st gens- there is an audible tick- from the high pressure fuel pump and its related part. Very noticeable at idle. Especially of you open up the hood.

2nd gen.. I dont know- have not heard one up close.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Which model year?
On the 1st gens- there is an audible tick- from the high pressure fuel pump and its related part. Very noticeable at idle. Especially of you open up the hood.

2nd gen.. I dont know- have not heard one up close.
This...Seems to really vary manufacturer to manufacturer with these high pressure fuel pumps... for example...

-My dad's '15 Silverado 5.3 doesn't tick
-Neither does is '20 Sierra 5.3
-Neither does my mom's '16 Wrangler 3.6
-But her '18 GLC300 sounds like a diesel at idle, at least twice as loud
-I'd say my grandmother's '17 X1 is about as loud as the Traverse
-My sister's '19 Outback is quieter

That's all of the DI's I have spent enough time around to pay attention to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bryan9000, its probably the high pressure fuel pump for the Direct Injection. Direct Injection requires upwards of 2000 psi of pressure to work, so the fuel pump in the tank is delivering fuel to a high pressure fuel pump on the engine - typically operated off of the camshaft. The fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber instead of the intake manifold. The ticking you hear is normal. My 2019 ticks, as did my last to vehicles with Direct Injection - one was a 2017 and he other a 2013.

HTH,

Jack

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Very well described Jack. Thanks

Reactions: Jack07231

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 Traverse had the clicking and it showed a code of 0496 which I think is for the high pressure fuel pump (expensive to replace) it turned out to be the purge solenoid that was clicking, you can put your ear next to it and hear it, sounds like a lifter clicking. Its an easy part swap for a DYI, costs $50 at Autozone. Hope my picture shows up in this message. If not just remove oil cap, then lift off plastic engine cover, the purge valve is right at front of engine, you should be able to hear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same sound, I assume. I wish we could upload sounds to the forum. I took a recording of it today when I was in replacing my evap/purge solenoid. My sound clicks about 17-18 times in 10 sec

2011 Traverse LS
Just curious if the ticking sound went away after you replaced the purge solenoid?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Forgot to mention this as a possible cause of the ticking.

But here is one doing it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just curious if the ticking sound went away after you replaced the purge solenoid?
I replaced the solenoid, mine didn't make any noise when it failed. I can safely say the fuel pump is still working though as that's the noise that's always present at idle.

·
Registered
292 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts