Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 LS with 17" steel wheels, im thinking about puting18" alloys from a 1lt on . Whould I have to recalabrate the speedometer because of the size change? Or is there any other thing I would have to do to make them work or is as simple as a bolt and go? The only reason im thinking about this is I was offerd them at a great price off a friends truck that he put after market rims on. Any info would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The dealership can recalibrate the tire size on the LS's.

It's not so much as the speedometer being out by much as it throws off the transmission and it will not shift into 5th and 6th at the right points and can hurt the gas millage allot.

I'm still looking for a good price on a set of rims. I will run the 17's until the tires are wore out regardless.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
measure the OVERALL diameter of the 18's--- and if its the same as the 17's.. then there is no change..
but if they are different then yes- calibration.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Use this handy calculator to see what happens when you replace the tires with a different size. If the results are within 1 or 2 mph I would not worry about it. Anything more, I would have the dealer re-flash the computer if possible.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
563 Posts
Go to tirerack.com and look up the two sizes of tires involved in the swap you plan to make. The spec page will tell you the tire diameters. You want them to be as close as possible. The stock Goodyear 18's on the 1lt are 31" in diameter. I'll bet the 17's on the LS are about the same diameter due to the different sidewall ratio of the two tires.
In general when you change rim sizes, you go up an inch in wheel size and you go down a ratio or two to compensate and keep the diameters close. Usually you want to keep the tire diameters within 3% to keep from having any major spedometer error or computer problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you upgrade to stock 18" wheels and tires from the 1LT there is about a 1% difference. In my opinion this is not enough change to warrant a speedo recal.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It's not the speed that is going to cause the issue. It the transmission shift points.

When I upgraded my last vehicle tires a Colorado I went form 15's to 16's and the speedo was only out my 3mph.

The truck would not shift into overdrive at 50 mph / 80 kph.

This was the biggest issue I had. I would have to set my speed up to 10 over just to get it to kick in and then slow down to say 55 mph.

It was annoying.

Not saying the Traverse will do this have to find someone who has made the switch.

It will affect all the shift points.

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Re: Thinking about changing 17s out for 18s question?

You could get the center caps cheap. I found a set of 4 for 69 bucks. Don't remember where. I was looking cuz I wanted to get some without the bow tie. If you get those wheels and need center caps with bow ties, let me know. I would them have some other reason to buy the smooth ones, and could send you my oem center caps....

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just changed my 2011 LS tires and wheels from the stock 17" to an Acadia 18" wheel. Tires are very close to the same height. Didn't notice any shifting issue on the highway or around town. Only issue was the "Service Tire Monitor System" reminder that kicked in after about 15 miles. I did the manual "relearn" step and it cleared that. I did have too much air in 3 of the tires. That may have been the culprit, but letting air out and then setting them all back to 35psi got me going again. I can live with the GMC logo center caps for a while. I did this swap to cut down on the tail wagging that we've lived with. Hopefully the slight size adjustment will help. Can post a pic or two if needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts