Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe "detest" is to strong, lets just say strongly dislike.

Start up the beast & the headlights come on.....automatically, have to physically turn them off.

Fuel mileage......but, have dicussed & cussed that topic adinfinitum/ adobsurtum.

Was cleaning the nasty thing out earlier today; IE: vacuuming, etc. Left the driver's door open..... guess about 1 1/2 hrs. Tried to crank it; deader than a hammer. Plum forgot when the door is open every stupid light on the vehicle is on.

OH, One other thing, when the battery is dead, can't get the key outta the ignition or shift it outta park..............Now thats a really"neat" feature.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Something is wrong with your car.
The vehicle should turn off interior lights after 10 minutes.

And- this just happened to occur to me on Thu/Fri
I was loading things up- and my son jumped into the vehicle and played around.
The next morning- I remote start- get in and begin to drive away- but all lights are on- they didnt dim...
It was 545 so still dark,

I get out and make sure all doors are closed. (even though it did not tell me on the dash that doors were open).
Lights still on. I hit the overhead override button-- nothing. lights still on.

Cant drive with all interior lights on---
Well turns out that he had manually pushed all light buttons on.
We went back inside- and lights remained on. The vehicle shut them off.
Upon restart of vehicle- the lights come back on-

I had to push them all off.

So yeah- he left the lights on- but the vehicle shut them off after 10 min.
vehicle started right up in the morning.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have a 2017 and I agree with you that it is hungry on gas. Well what can you expect with a 2.5 tons vehicle. It will sip gas specially in city driving. One thing that I will never like and I can repeat it hundred of times is the cheap resolution rear camera. I even find these camera dangerous because of the poor quality image you get. No contrast, very fuzzy picture from far away. Otherwise I like it even if this vehicle is poor in winter to warm up.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've had plenty of SUVs and pickups, I find the Traverse to be competitive vs. other 3 rows in this regard.

My dislikes:
-Crappy rear camera resolution, I've even had some times when it won't even come on.
-This transmission can be silky smooth at times but sometimes in a high gear/high load/low rpm situation where it refuses to downshift for a while it clunks down. I'm just hoping the thing lasts me years before any of that becomes a more major issue.
-The seat creaks. There's a TSB for it but my local dealer doesn't believe in doing TSBs for free and it comes and goes depending on the climate for the day (humidity/temp.)
-Why do they even make vehicles where the fog lights don't stay on each time you start the car if you selected them before? I know some people hate fog lights but I like them and use them and want them on when my headlights are on.
-How hard would it have been to shape the engine bay shroud in such a way that the radiator cap was accessible without removing it?
-Compared to our '15 Pilot, ALL of the switches and armrests and console lid/cubbies/etc. all have so much play and feel so much lower quality. They all work in the Traverse but the looseness of it all makes it feel like they are all doomed to fail.

All of that being said, I really like the Traverse. It's been a solid family vehicle, I think the interior and exterior both have interesting designs to them, the seats are extremely comfortable for me, etc. We are pleased with our purchase.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something is wrong with your car.
The vehicle should turn off interior lights after 10 minutes.

And- this just happened to occur to me on Thu/Fri
I was loading things up- and my son jumped into the vehicle and played around.
The next morning- I remote start- get in and begin to drive away- but all lights are on- they didnt dim...
It was 545 so still dark,

I get out and make sure all doors are closed. (even though it did not tell me on the dash that doors were open).
Lights still on. I hit the overhead override button-- nothing. lights still on.

Cant drive with all interior lights on---
Well turns out that he had manually pushed all light buttons on.
We went back inside- and lights remained on. The vehicle shut them off.
Upon restart of vehicle- the lights come back on-

I had to push them all off.

So yeah- he left the lights on- but the vehicle shut them off after 10 min.
vehicle started right up in the morning.

rbarrios;

Will check that out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2017 and I agree with you that it is hungry on gas. Well what can you expect with a 2.5 tons vehicle. It will sip gas specially in city driving. One thing that I will never like and I can repeat it hundred of times is the cheap resolution rear camera. I even find these camera dangerous because of the poor quality image you get. No contrast, very fuzzy picture from far away. Otherwise I like it even if this vehicle is poor in winter to warm up.

Capucine;

Have dealt with the fuel mileage, just venting. Agree on the "backup" camera, have never trusted it since I've had it.

How bout the where the battery is located? The "brilliant" engineer who designed that outta be strung up by the toes.

Takes a T-15 torx, 10 & 13 mm sockets to get it loose, then wiggle the thing out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Question;

Are the 18's & 19's any better concerning the above "problems"?

Also, what about the enclave's?

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
the 18 and 19's I think are having their initial issues... 1st year gremlins.
Like trans issues and parking brake issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did the 18's come out with the 9 speed?

Tranny issues on any vehicle are a deal killer. I'll work on any part of a vehicle Except the trans. Learned my lesson long ago.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You are very right on that. My 2003 impala transmission was total garbage. Solenoids problems by the buckets.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Regarding these cameras they have a resolution of 0.5 megapixel. About the same as a cheap kids camera.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Regarding these cameras they have a resolution of 0.5 megapixel. About the same as a cheap kids camera.
Probably pretty good stuff in 2009... not so much by 2014 when mine was new, even worse by 2017 in the last model year of this generation...

You guys mention the trans issues, knowing the early 1st gens had waveplate issues why did you buy a Traverse? My purchase was last year so I was pretty well convinced the trans had no more issues, if I had experienced any clunks during my test drive I would have walked away but alas I am stuck now.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
the wavaplate issue- began to rear its head- as the mileage increased on the units.

I dont recall it being something that was failing right away on owners.

·
Registered
468 Posts
How bout the where the battery is located? The "brilliant" engineer who designed that outta be strung up by the toes.

Takes a T-15 torx, 10 & 13 mm sockets to get it loose, then wiggle the thing out.
Keeping them out of the engine bay extends their life by not being subject to the heat. And not that it matters on a 5000lb CUV but it does help weight distribution on a performance car. Particularly with the newer AGM (glass mat) batteries that are becoming more common.

I had a Caddy Seville that had it under the rear seat - THAT was a pain in the rear to get out. My SS Sedan has it in the trunk.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Keeping them out of the engine bay extends their life by not being subject to the heat. And not that it matters on a 5000lb CUV but it does help weight distribution on a performance car. Particularly with the newer AGM (glass mat) batteries that are becoming more common.

I had a Caddy Seville that had it under the rear seat - THAT was a pain in the rear to get out. My SS Sedan has it in the trunk.

Point taken......but, I still think they should be under the hood.

Also, scuze my egnertz, what is a ss sedan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has the solenoids on these VVT engines almost become a maintenance issue?

Am everlastingly reading where they're getting clogged up with carbon, metal shavings,etc.. Should they be removed occasionally and cleaned IE: Chemtooled, or some other carb./intake cleaners?

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Ive seen a few of those SS sedans here in LA. very nice looking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
WOW. I thought I was hard on the '17 Travesty.

FWIW...The back up cam on my is fine. What do you want. It see's what's behind you. I don't think it's fuzzy. My single biggest complaint is the poor heating and windshield defrost. The whole right had third of the windshield will stay foggy. To me that's a safety hazard. I had to build a deflector to direct air to the right hand side.

I'm not a big fan of the dash board controls. Poor placement of many features.

To me the overall mileage should always be visible. Not that hit the button to rotate round and round.

I'm averaging between 15mpg and 18mpg city driving and twenty highway. I almost always meet or exceed city and combined EPA ratings. But can never quite meet highway EPA. My best is 90%.

The car is good and does the job for me. Towing was important. But I'm very bias and originally wanted a Ford. The biggest problem I have was dealing with the dealer. That put a sour taste in my mouth and has driven me to want to buy nothing but a Ford.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts