Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 1,657 miles on my 2010- I decided to change the oil.

It appears that the factory had a gorilla putting on the filters since so many of you had trouble removing the factory filter.
I was expecting a tough time removing the filter.
But on the contrary- I found that the filter was not installed super tight.

I used my filter removal tool to loosen it since it was still HOT.
SO it appears they fired the gorilla.

Things I learned....
next time let the engine cool alot more- filter was hot. I didnt get burned by the manifold as I wore a long sleeve.
It is hard to see when the filter begins to drip oil. Next time I may use one of those mirror on a stick to view when the oil begins to flow- and then go from there.
this mirror on the stick will also be useful to inspect and clean the surface the gasket seals with.
I did get a little bit of oil leakage from the filter-- since it was getting dark and I was in a hurry to loosen it... (next time- ill know and let it drain slowly).
or is it better to drain the pan 1st and then the filter?
I was able to fit under the vehicle and drain oil without lifting- (the air dam in the front is what rubs on my chest though)- But I weight about 160 lbs.

on 2010- the oil pan bolt is 15MM.

Here is the oil filter wrench I use.... multi sized-- but once you turn- it tightens and grabs with all those little teeth.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
With 1,657 miles on my 2010- I decided to change the oil.
So now always these questions re oil and this DI engine:

• Did you save some to send away for analysis?
  • What oil and filter did you use to refill
  • How many miles/months will you rn this new oil?

I am looking forward to my next oil change as last time I replaced the drain bolt with a FUMOTO valve. Should be a snap.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you save some to send away for analysis?
---No. Being the 1st oil change- I already know what its going to say- high amounts of stuff related to the break in of the engine.
What oil and filter did you use to refill
---I used regular dino- Valvoline 5w-30- meeting spec 6094M. I used a AC DELCO PF-48
How many miles/months will you rn this new oil?
Im tempted to run it 3000 miles.

Several things Id like to mention here.
I used the same oil (Valvoline 5w-30 in my 2003 Trailblazer with the Inline 6. I didnt have the DIC showing % left- but had the OLM. on that vehicle I would go 10,500 to 11,000 miles between oil changes. 2 of the memorable oil analysis I had done on that engine at 104,000 and 146,000 miles showed engine wear was fine and the oil life was right on with the OLM- no adverse wear on oil after that many miles...........

Now- I know that 2009 DI engines are reportedly being brutal on the oil... and the OLM isnt matching up with the used oil analysis.

I am VERY VERY curious to see if GM engineers have made changes to the OLM algorithm on the 2010 DI 3.6 to reflect what owners are seeing.
If the OLM has indeed been changed to reflect actual oil condition--- then ill be all for leaving the oil in following the OLM.
I may get an oil analysis when ive run 3000 miles on this oil.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
What oil and filter did you use to refill
---I used regular dino- Valvoline 5w-30- meeting spec 6094M.
I take it you use this particular oil because you used it successfully with your Trailblazer? Any consideration to running a synthetic? But given that you plan on going the traditional 3k miles maybe you think a synthetic isnt worth the cost?

rbarrios said:
I may get an oil analysis when ive run 3000 miles on this oil.
Please do.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
I am VERY VERY curious to see if GM engineers have made changes to the OLM algorithm on the 2010 DI 3.6 to reflect what owners are seeing.
If the OLM has indeed been changed to reflect actual oil condition--- then ill be all for leaving the oil in following the OLM.
How would you ever know or find out if there was a change to the OLM algorithm for the 2010 MY?

And remember this DI engine is basically the same engine that had been in the Cadillac CTS for 1 year *prior* to it being used in the 09 Lambdas. You would have figured that GM could/would have made any adjustments based upon their experience with the Cadillac and its DI?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my Trailblazer... running a synthetic wasnt of interest.
I was doing 11,000 mile oil changes with excellent results. so wasnt even interested in the extra cost of the synthetic.
As you can see- I went 150K with it- still runs fine- and had it since 2002. So I was happy with the oil.

I will make an informed decision on what oil to use- once I see how accurate the OLM is with this engine. (using oil analysis results).
Not just doing what I see many posters do---" I changed the oil because it was black....." but nothing else....

Im hoping that if any changes to the algorithm were made- then it would be represented by the actual oil life % shown on the DIC- in comparison to Used oil analysis.

In my Trailblazer-- when the Change oil light came on- I changed oil-on some of the samples I asked for the optional extendedoil life left test.
In those cases- the analysis said that the oil could go a little further but not much. this would match up with the OLM- in the owners manual it says to change oil within the next 2 tankfuls- which is about 300-600 miles.

Ive seen the post about the Travs OLM saying the oil has lets say 50% life- but the oil was really degraded.
So my hope is that the % life shown will be representative of what the analysis results are....
But I- (we) wont know until we have analysis from 2010 engines.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
I will make an informed decision on what oil to use- once I see how accurate the OLM is with this engine. (using oil analysis results).
Not just doing what I see many posters do---" I changed the oil because it was black....." but nothing else....
Well as you may know that isnt me. I've done my bit (multiple UOAs) in part for the benefit of other Traverse owners :angel: .

rbarrios said:
So my hope is that the % life shown will be representative of what the analysis results are....
But I- (we) wont know until we have analysis from 2010 engines.
Well as I mentioned above, unless confirmed through GM/Chevrolet you will never know if the OLM software has changed...too many independent and dependent variables to be able to arrive at such a conclusion on your own.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I Just don't get why everyone is so concerned about the oil. Of all the vehicles i have had it was never the engine that broke down. It was the rad, brakes, water pump, battery, electric windows, starter, etc. Everything BUT the engine.

I had a 198? Sierra pick-up for 12 years and did occasional oil changes (like, every few years) and everything eventually fell to pieces, except the motor. I would never consider getting it analyzed because it wont change anything. There's gunk in it. I know that!

Yes, I am treating my Traverse much better than the Sierra.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too am sortof curious why you wanted to change your oil with just 1700 miles.

I change every 5000 typically because I don't tow anything and Seattle doesn't offer up extreme tempratures. Even at 5000 miles my oil life meter says something like 40% oil life. My wifes old VW recommended every 10,000 with factory synthetic.

To each their own I suppose but changing that often seems expensive and wasteful.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like mentioned above- I do use the OLM in my Trailblazer... up to 11,000 miles--- and thats here in Los angeles where I do stop and go traffic every morning and afternoon- and this is DINO-- not synthetic.
Based on those analysis- I was very confident in the OLM in the Trailblazer.

On the Traverse- once I get oil analysis on this engine- I will determine how long I can leave the oil in - and Ill have peace of mind.
As for why I changed it at 1700.
- just to get out the initial wear in particles. I know the filter gets the big stuff...
but in my other car- 07 Impala- I did have an oil analysis done and it showed the typical wear in metals were high.
So I just went ahead and changed it at 1700.
Mostly for my peace of mind.
All our other cars use the OLM. (Trailblazer, Impala, Lucerne)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. I changed at 2500 mi and will change again at 5000 mi. Had an analysis done on the first change and will get one done on the 5k one just to get a baseline. I usually do 5k between changes on synthetic. After these analysis are done I will probably start using the OLM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts