Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sat. morning my wife went out about 6am to start the Traverse. She noticed that when she pressed the unlock button once the horn chirped. Then she pressed it a second time for the rest of the doors and it chirped again. She proceeded to start it. Returned to the house to get her lunch and upon returning the dash display read "Theft Attemped" She woke me up and called me outside. There was no damage to the car or any marks at all that show someone tried to force entry into the car. We notified the PD and they took a report on it. My neighbors said they heard a car alarm at 1:30am but didn't get up to look outside. My whole family never heard it and the car is parked right in front of the garage. I'm glad the anti theft works!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
"I'm glad the anti theft works!"

Don't press your luck, time to park in the garage ! !

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, she was off to work for some OT. We had the weekend off. My house has a 2 car garage thats only big enough for 1. The garages are for 2 cars with nothing in it. With my MG, tools, motorcycle and yard stuff there's just no room. Might be time to add on.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah but I wonder what that means, theft attempted? Did they jimmy the lock open? Did they get in the car? Did they try and jam something in the lock? Or just jiggle the handle a bunch? What do you have to do to get the alarm to go off? I am guessing they got the doors open somehow and the alarm went off so they ran. If that was the case odds are they were trying to seal what was inside the car vs. actually stealing the car. Anything valuable left inside at night? Most car theifs can start the car faster then you will notice the alarm is going off, get up, put on shoes, and get outside... if their goal is to steal it vs. steal what's inside.

If you cant park in the garage, maybe get an aftermarket alarm. Something better then stock, maybe with a kill switch... should only cost a couple hundred bucks. Glad nothing happened this time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hopefully the theft indicator in the DIC wasn't a false positive. The dealership should be able to read the logs and get a time stamp of the theft attempt to see if matches up with the neighbor's 1:30 am recollection!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We called Onstar and they said they don't get theft reports from the vehicle unless we reported it stolen.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
We called Onstar and they said they don't get theft reports from the vehicle unless we reported it stolen.
Makes no sense ...how can you report it stolen when it was an "attempted theft" ?

bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it doesn't. If they can monitor engine functions and unlock the doors for you, you would think they can tell what time the alarm went off and what made it go off.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
I know it doesn't. If they can monitor engine functions and unlock the doors for you, you would think they can tell what time the alarm went off and what made it go off.
I agree with your statements...perhaps OnStar either misunderstood you or the individual was not yet familiar with the functions of the system.

Bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
kawazar said:
I would ask again, they must be able to tell you. They can send you an email if your tire pressure is low, surly they can tell you this!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Sounds like they did get the door open- and alarm went off and they ran...
they werent expecting the alarm since theres no visible blinking light.....

I had a blinking LED- powered by 2 AA batts...
I placed it in the small cubby hole down by the shifter....and my sirius radio goes over this cubby hole.
at night- anyone peering in- will see this red blinking led.
I did not drill or anything- the LED bulb itself sits above the radio.
Cant really see it in the daytime..
But at night.. its what you see when you look in the driver or pass window.

I had the blinker (got it from a PC mouse packaging enclosure- I guess to draw you attention to the product on the shelf).. and the cubby hole needed a use... so perfect place to place the batts...

I know it wont stop a determined thief... but it may be enough to deter a young kid out for fun??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts