Traverse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
If im not mistaken....
the factory oil filter that comes on the 3.6, is a small filter..... But has a replace with PF-63E label on it.
This filter is actually a PF-64.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If im not mistaken....
the factory oil filter that comes on the 3.6, is a small filter..... But has a replace with PF-63E label on it.
Is this the case on the 2nd gens? I know the 1st gens had it for clearance while manufacturing or some other excuse but didn't know if that was still the case with 2nd gens.

·
Registered
11,234 Posts

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
Is this the case on the 2nd gens? I know the 1st gens had it for clearance while manufacturing or some other excuse but didn't know if that was still the case with 2nd gens.
I have not read otherwise.
The filter location the same on the 2nd gens?
I have not seen where the filter is at.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If im not mistaken....
I looked around for some photos of a PF64 cut open. Here they are, and it clearly has a bypass valve. My PF63E did not. It appears there is allot of deception going on in the Delco filter supply chain. Reason # 764 to walk away from it.

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
what about the PF-63E in the bitog link above?

·
Registered
770 Posts
What did I miss about the M1 filters? nevermind, I saw the pic on the Duramax forum, thank you. I do purchase some filters from Walmart, some from Advance Auto. Usually the Wix, M1 Extended performance, K&N. Stopped using Fram junk. So where do I find the Baldwin?
On that note. Walmart has that Supertech Synthetic oil, Dexos1 Gen 2 compliant for $33 a case of 24Qt or a 5 qt jug at $17.50...Made by Warren Performance products. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The Supertech oil is better than most people think. Paying for the testing and licensing to be able to carry the Dexo's label is no joke. That's whats funny about Amsoil. Supertech is cheap, yet they can pay for the licensing it carries the Dexos label. Amsoil costs 3 x as much, yet is "Dexos comparable" or some such term and has no license.

Amsoil also states they wont submit for Dexos licensing, because GM could steal their secret formulations.... ( Insert eye roll here....)

I would have no worries about running Supertech. But I will say this. I would not run it for extended drain intervals, and if you shop around and use rebates or coupons you can find "Name Brand" oil for about the same price....

·
Registered
770 Posts
I usually get the 5qt. jug of M1 for $28 at Walmart or an Oil change special with filter for $33 from Advance. I need 3 different Viscosity's for 4 different vehicles, I usually stock up and have a couple oil changes on hand each vehicle. That case of Supertech was mighty tempting last time I was there but I have enough for now. It's nice to have a quart bottle to keep in the vehicle but a pain to put the oil back for recycling, easier with a jug.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The RDX is 0W20 which comes out like water if the oil is hot during the oil change, I started doing it cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After all this still wondering if it's okay to use the regular pf63 filters I have or buy a bunch more of f63e's.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The RDX is 0W20 which comes out like water if the oil is hot during the oil change, I started doing it cold.
Funny we are in the middle of a big debate on the Pilot forum right now with the same J35 engine... some people swear that using 5W30 is perfectly fine and has no adverse effects on the engine. My stance is that engine oil is not just a lubricant in these engines and there are systems that rely on the oil for proper functionality, so my recommendation is to stick with what the engineers designed the engine to run. I 99% believe there will be no issues but I have respect for others in my profession and if they say to use 0W20 then that's what I will use.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
After all this still wondering if it's okay to use the regular pf63 filters I have or buy a bunch more of f63e's.
The older PF63 has a by-pass pressure of 12 PSI. The newer ecore PF63E has a bypass pressure of 22 PSI.If you run the PF63 for long drain intervals, it's possible the classic 63 might run with the bypass open, allowing unfiltered oil through. Also, the 'e' stands for E-core or "Eco-Friendly". Unfortunately this design also appears to be an attempt at make the filter cheaper to produce. There have been reports of the filter media tearing because the plastic support cage doesn't offer as much support as the previous design's metal tube. All these issues are why I chose the Amsoil filter.

Search "Ecore filter failures" on Google. You will find threads and stories with photos like this...... BTW.... the Ecore design is brought to you by Champion Labs. No thanks.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts