Traverse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just looked up the Baldwin specs.... 10 micron filtration at 50% efficiency and 25 micron at 98.7% efficiency. It's a solid performer and would be my 2nd choice to the Amsoil filter. Either one will keep your Traverse on the road.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
AlisoBob--Thanks for the review and the very pertinent info in the link to the oil filter shoot-out. Like you, I have a new Traverse and want to take care of it; I also have a Camaro with the LFX 3.6 V6 and want to keep it running well into the 6-digit mileage. Your research and documentation is invaluable.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
591 Posts
So now that you sent me down the rabbithole I spent the better part of the morning researching oil filters and oils and all that... apparently the M1 High Mileage, which has always received great reviews for zinc levels and seal conditioners and what-not is NOT dexos 1 or 2 certified.

M1 filters are trash and M1HM is not dexos certified, my whole world is crumbling around me!

In the research I did, apparently the Champion Labs filters are known to be generally high build quality, hopefully they actually implemented the testing they mentioned to you. Now as far as oils, maybe I'll just have to switch to the standard M1 oil that is dexos certified.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I went round and round with the different options, and ending up with this....... for now

The Mobil 1 5/30 ESP is another good option, but a bit more expensive

Better oils, specifically blended for Direct Injection engines are coming.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
This filter is rated at 20 microns..... which is a 50% improvement over the Delco at 30 microns. Its also more efficient at 98.7% at the 20 micron particle size than the 90% at 30 microns for the Delco. Lastly, its physically bigger and has a projected lifespan of up to 25,000 miles. I will never run one that long, but it has the filter media area to do so. It's all about keeping those 3 timing chains ,the tensioners, and the cam phasers happy.
Are these efficiencies measured at the same flow rates?

Where do you pick up your AMSoil filters?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, I did not want to turn this into a Amsoil filter commercial, but here's all the info so you guys can make your own decisions. I buy my Amsoil filters from Willie Parsons. He's a nice, Vietnam Vet who sells the full line of Amsoil products. His contact number is 888-563-5143. I'm a pretty big believer that oil, is pretty much oil. If you have the proper rating and viscosity, it's going to work. I've read allot of oil sample reports too. Amsoil has the same wear metals present in the same concentrations as other synthetic oils, and most dino oils...... oil is oil as far as I'm concerned.

The Amsoil filters are different. See the photos below.

The filter comes in a nice sturdy box and it's sealed in shrink wrap plastic. This filter could sit on the shelf for 50 years, and still be ready to go. I cut one open so you can see the insides. Notice how shiny it is? Its all cadium plated for corrosion protection. I've cut open lots of oil filters and NO ONE else does this. You will never have to worry about rust particles coming from this filter. Also notice the silicone anti-drainback valve. It's the best there is. I cut the filter media in half for you. Its a synthetic media, where the Delco is cellulose. The cellulose is a "barrier" media where the debris stacks up on it, like lint on the clothes drier screen. At some point the debris covers all the media, and there is no path for the oil to flow. The synthetic media is whats called a "matrix" media where the debris can be caught anywhere in the media, not just on the surface. This adds tons of surface area to the element and explains why it can go 25,000 miles. Some cellulose filters also make high mileage claims. Stay away from these as the media is designed to let the debris flow through and not clog up. Its all a marketing ploy. Dont fall for it.
See the center tube? It's louvered where most all filters have round holes punched. The round holes act like a cheese grater and wear holes in the filter media letting unfiltered oil pass. The louvers do not cut the element, so you dont have that issue.... but look what else Amsoil does... they put a screen on the backside of the media to protect it anyways. This is tip top engineering and design.

It also has a nice oil bypass valve in case the filter was to ever clog, for whatever reason. Unfiltered oil is better than no oil..... right? The Delco has no bypass valve.

So there it is. I think I paid $13 for it. About double what a Fram costs.... but this filter is the best you can make, top to bottom. Nothing is 2nd tier, anywhere.... so for $6 more your getting the best their is. Since the kids are gone my wife doesnt drive as much as she used too. She maybe goes 15k miles a year. If I swap out these filters every 7k mile oil change interval thats a extra $12 a year. If I leave the filter on for the whole 15k miles, the extra cost is zero, as it lasted as long as 2 Fram fiters.

So there you have it, everything you ever wanted to know about Amsoil oil filters.( A friend told me thay are made by Donaldson, which I believe as my Donaldson Duramax oil filter has identical looking media, with the same specs)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You say the Delco has no bypass valve. That doesn't seem to be supported by the GM TSB quoted in Post #5 here:

The TSB is also quoted here:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There is no bypass in the filter. I'm guessing the bypass they are taking about is elsewhere in the oiling circuit.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm impressed with the AMSOIL filter. Appreciate your bringing all this information to us. The hard part will be getting out of the habit that I'm in; fortunately it doesn't include FRAM--but it does include Champion filters (Mobil 1).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Whoever generated this technical paper paper is lying. This is exactly why I lost all trust in consumer grade stuff. I just went and pulled my PF63E out of the trash. This is the exact filter I just removed from my 2020 Traverse, purchased brand new from Chevrolet . There is NO COMPRESSION SPRING LOADED NYLON POPPET VALVE!

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 8892

Like it says, I'm the new guy with a 2020 3LT Traverse. I'll give you a little background, before I ask a few questions.... My wife spent 20 years and 300,000 miles ( 2000 to 2012 and 2012 to 2020) in Chevy Tahoe's and was ready for something different. All the Tahoe's survived the 300k miles with everything they left the factory with and went that distance with only maintenance items like oil and filters and consumables like tires and brakes. Fingers crossed on the Traverse. I never thought I would own a V6, D.I. engine / FWD vehicle, yet here I am. I own two Duramax's, a 2005 w/ 325k miles and a 2011 with 118k miles.

She really wanted the 2nd row bench, so our local dealer swapped cars with a dealer up in Lompoc. Our car arrived with 280 miles on the clock. First impression was good. It's a real jump in technology from the 2012 Tahoe! It's quite zippy and it sounds a bit F1-ish as the 9 speed bangs through the gears. It also has the tow package.

So I get it home and give it the once over. ( I've been a heavy equipment / crane mechanic for 30 years so I always inspect everything, even brand new cars) First thing, the engine oil dipstick shows dry. Zero.... Nada. Well that sucks. Rather than add some, I drain it out instead. 5 quarts come out plus the little bit in the filter so it was just a little low. What was concerning was the oil itself. I use Mobil 1 in everything I own . In the Tahoe's I always went 8k miles before changing it. Well, at 280 miles the oil in the Traverse looks worse than the Tahoe at 5k miles..... no joke! It was dark and nasty. I removed the oil filter and cut it open. It had some kind of debris in it. It was a factory Delco filter, which is made by Champion Labs... a company with known quality control issues. This is a photo of the actual filter. See that crap? WTF is it? Who knows.....
View attachment 8894 View attachment 8895

So I swap out that filter for a Amsoil oil filter. I think Amsoil itself is a over-hyped product, but their filters are no joke. 20 micron filtration at 98.7% efficiency beats anything on the market. Hopefully the M1 5w/30 + the Amsoil filter let the timing chains live a long and trouble free life. Since swapping out the garbage oil and filter the Wifey has driven 1000+ miles. No oil consumption has been noted and the oil color is still amber / honey clear...thank goodness. The Wifey also thinks the engine has quieted down some with the M-1 oil....

But now I'm all paranoid about the ATF. The 2020 has no dipstick, you use sight plugs to determine the fluid level, so this weekend I am swapping that out too for the Valvoline synthetic Dex VI ATF. Hopefully, there are no surprizes there. For both the engine and transmission drain plugs I am swapping them out for magnetic ones. Every car I own (11 total, I own a construction company + 2 kids cars) has magnetic drain plugs and every one of them is covered in super fine particles that the filter has missed....Some say these particles are too small to hurt anything, but these 3 timing chains have me a bit nervous so I'm thinking every little bit helps.

This D.I. also has me a bit nervous too. Horror stories about gunked up intake valves and ports abound on the internet. Well, both my diesels are D.I. engines too, and run seemingly forever with out worry. Some say Gas D.I. engines are much different than diesels and if you dont put a catch can in the PVC system you're a fool. So, Who's driven 100k miles without a catch can and no issues, or who has put a catch can on a late model Traverse and is shocked by all the crud it's catching? Any one?

I'll let everyone know how the ATF swap goes... but so far the Traverse appears to be a winner.... Thanks for having me.

I've had my 2019 for about 5 months, I'm retired so I don't drive a lot, I have about 5000 miles on it ( took a 2000 mile trip for Thanksgiving) without a bit of a problem, I've had 4x4 trucks for the past 50+ years, but switch to the Traverse I got older, easier to get in.
So far I love the Traverse, AWD tows my 5000 lb. boat ( only tow 1/4 mile to ramp) without a problem. Hwy. mpg 28 best 32, city 19. quite, comfy, love all the cool goodies in it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I thought about this, and let me rephrase my statement.
The person who wrote that technical paper is not lying. What he / she wrote is what they expect to be inside that filter. Who's lying is who built the filter ( Most likely Champion Labs) They put in whatever element they had laying around that would fit that can.

"No one ever cuts these things open to look" is the mentality of the industry. "If I can save $0.49 on every hundred filters produced, that's more profit for me."

It flat out sux.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gm
View attachment 8892

Like it says, I'm the new guy with a 2020 3LT Traverse. I'll give you a little background, before I ask a few questions.... My wife spent 20 years and 300,000 miles ( 2000 to 2012 and 2012 to 2020) in Chevy Tahoe's and was ready for something different. All the Tahoe's survived the 300k miles with everything they left the factory with and went that distance with only maintenance items like oil and filters and consumables like tires and brakes. Fingers crossed on the Traverse. I never thought I would own a V6, D.I. engine / FWD vehicle, yet here I am. I own two Duramax's, a 2005 w/ 325k miles and a 2011 with 118k miles.

She really wanted the 2nd row bench, so our local dealer swapped cars with a dealer up in Lompoc. Our car arrived with 280 miles on the clock. First impression was good. It's a real jump in technology from the 2012 Tahoe! It's quite zippy and it sounds a bit F1-ish as the 9 speed bangs through the gears. It also has the tow package.

So I get it home and give it the once over. ( I've been a heavy equipment / crane mechanic for 30 years so I always inspect everything, even brand new cars) First thing, the engine oil dipstick shows dry. Zero.... Nada. Well that sucks. Rather than add some, I drain it out instead. 5 quarts come out plus the little bit in the filter so it was just a little low. What was concerning was the oil itself. I use Mobil 1 in everything I own . In the Tahoe's I always went 8k miles before changing it. Well, at 280 miles the oil in the Traverse looks worse than the Tahoe at 5k miles..... no joke! It was dark and nasty. I removed the oil filter and cut it open. It had some kind of debris in it. It was a factory Delco filter, which is made by Champion Labs... a company with known quality control issues. This is a photo of the actual filter. See that crap? WTF is it? Who knows.....
View attachment 8894 View attachment 8895

So I swap out that filter for a Amsoil oil filter. I think Amsoil itself is a over-hyped product, but their filters are no joke. 20 micron filtration at 98.7% efficiency beats anything on the market. Hopefully the M1 5w/30 + the Amsoil filter let the timing chains live a long and trouble free life. Since swapping out the garbage oil and filter the Wifey has driven 1000+ miles. No oil consumption has been noted and the oil color is still amber / honey clear...thank goodness. The Wifey also thinks the engine has quieted down some with the M-1 oil....

But now I'm all paranoid about the ATF. The 2020 has no dipstick, you use sight plugs to determine the fluid level, so this weekend I am swapping that out too for the Valvoline synthetic Dex VI ATF. Hopefully, there are no surprizes there. For both the engine and transmission drain plugs I am swapping them out for magnetic ones. Every car I own (11 total, I own a construction company + 2 kids cars) has magnetic drain plugs and every one of them is covered in super fine particles that the filter has missed....Some say these particles are too small to hurt anything, but these 3 timing chains have me a bit nervous so I'm thinking every little bit helps.

This D.I. also has me a bit nervous too. Horror stories about gunked up intake valves and ports abound on the internet. Well, both my diesels are D.I. engines too, and run seemingly forever with out worry. Some say Gas D.I. engines are much different than diesels and if you dont put a catch can in the PVC system you're a fool. So, Who's driven 100k miles without a catch can and no issues, or who has put a catch can on a late model Traverse and is shocked by all the crud it's catching? Any one?

I'll let everyone know how the ATF swap goes... but so far the Traverse appears to be a winner.... Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Like it says, I'm the new guy with a 2020 3LT Traverse.
... but so far the Traverse appears to be a winner.... Thanks for having me.
Welcome aboard.

We have a 2018 High Country with more hours in the shop than on the road at about 30K miles so far.

Is your 2020 part of the recall (Engine Compartment Frame Crack): GM #N192268310 ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fellow Traverse owners I respect ALL views and opinions but I would like to throw my 2¢ in. I bought a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with the nominally aspirated V-6. Drove it 245,000 turns following the computers engine oil change parameters. With 5% city and 95% highway driving along with Northern WI winters our overall mpg for 12 years was 27.84. Trans had complete service, not just pan oil, and filter at 125,000 and 205,000. A few times, 3 I think the engine oil change came on about 5500 but most changes were indicated anywhere from from 8000 to 10,500 with several summer changes at just over 12,000. Only used ACDELCO Filters and Mobil full synthetic 5w30. Never a tic, puff of smoke, knock or whatever from engine or trans. Only sold it because of body and floor pan rust. Its still being driven by the second owner as a beater with 320 turns. He replaced water pump and 2 alternators.
I plan to do the same with the Traverse. Call me crazy but 28 to 30 microns is good enough for me if its good enough for GM. I know the newer oil change systems are different on the newer motors because of DI, higher oil pressures, hotter coolant temps etcetra but this is the third Chevy I plan to go at least 200 plus with same as the last two.
Transmissions only get low on oil if they are leaking somewhere so why would you want a dipstick.
As far as the OP with low engine oil levei something smells funny. In over 40 years in new car dealers service and parts departments I've encountered only 2 motors with less than 2 quarts of oil,i.e. dry, and less than a dozen that weren't quite full but less than 1/2 quart low.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Call me crazy but 28 to 30 microns is good enough for me if its good enough for GM.
I would agree if not for all the hundreds of threads, regardless of platform, that have had timing chain issues with their 3.6L "High Feature" engine.
ANYTHING that can be done to help the lubrication of these chains and cam phasers is a smart move.
This includes chucking the 30 micron filter.
Here's a great article discussing particle size. 20 micron seems to be the sweet spot.

GM is only worried about the engine surriving the warranty period. You should be worried about it surriving the life of the vehicle.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts