Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) is great. Late yesterday afternoon, the wife and I headed out for dinner at a restaurant about 13 miles away. About 4 miles from the house the low tire pressure warning came on. It said the left front tire was down to 27 psi - oh-oh. Oops, down to 26, 25 - losing about 2 psi per minute. The roads are snow covered, the temp is about 10 degrees F and the Traverse is covered in snow, dirt and ice. Hope I can make it to the gas station(just gas and food) - about 4 miles. I can add air and maybe make it to the tire dealer (another 5 miles). Of course they close at 5 and it's now 4:45. Roll into the gas station with 17 psi left. Add some air to LF tire, pump it to 40 (didn't look low). Check the TPMS - still 17 psi. Dooh - had the tires rotated at the dealer a few weeks ago and they didn't reset the TPMS - jerks. The real problem was the LR tire. Pump it up to 40 and hightail it to the tire dealer. Made it with a few minutes to spare and about 22 psi. 20 minutes and $12 later we are on the road. It turned out to be a sharp stone, not too big for an inside patch.

If it hadn't been for the TPMS, I would have a cold, messy job putting on the spare or a long wait for road service.

Thanks TPMS

Bob

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
glad you didnt freeze your behind!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good story. Isn't technology great? :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had similar situation after having tires rotated a dealer .....they did not reset TPMS. You think techs working at a dealership will have a "checklist" when performing routine preventive maintenance. Next time I'll give them a copy of resetting TPMS from manual.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I for one would be glad for that. It wouldn’t be very nice changing a tire in the snow, heck I hate doing it on a sunny day beside the road. In the snow it would be 10 times more dangerous.

8) Steve

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me 2 weeks ago. I was driving on a bad road in the downtown. I hit a series of potholes and got a thump coming from the tire, it went away after about a minute so I thought I picked up a stone in the tire. I drove for a few more miles to my local mall. I brought up the TPMS and was watching the pressures and everything was fine. I parked and came out 15 min later. After I started the Traverse it chimed and told me to check the left rear tire. It was at 9 psi. I assumed everything would be fine when I parked it and I would have just drove off had it not been for the TPMS. I did get an appreciation for the whole tire changing set up on the Traverse. It actually went really smooth and the car drove well with the doughnut spare. In the manual they say you can do up to 65 mph on that spare, but I didn't. I picked up a piece of muffler clamp in the tire which they were able to patch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sonny320 said:
You think techs working at a dealership will have a "checklist" when performing routine preventive maintenance.
Did you ever hear Ron White's comedy routine about suing Sears because they didn't tighten the lug nuts on his van's tires? A similar situation and hilarious in his case. :happy:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
sonny320 said:
Had similar situation after having tires rotated a dealer .....they did not reset TPMS. You think techs working at a dealership will have a "checklist" when performing routine preventive maintenance. Next time I'll give them a copy of resetting TPMS from manual.
The sad thing here is they DO have a check list to work from but as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts