Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 traverse and for a period of time the temperature has been going over 210. It fluctuates between 215-230. It only does it when going slow or idling. I have checked the coolant and it is to the fill line. I’m having the whole coolant changed on Friday. I have read that maybe there is air in the system. But I am also wondering if it could be something more. The fan stays on after turning it off and while running it gets so loud like I have never heard it before. Please any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid something very expensive happening.

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
258 Posts
Engine temperature sensor, thermostat and coolant are the main components for the cooling system.

The coolant level is correct so no leaks for sure. If the thermostat stuck open or close then the temperature reading should be consistent. I would say the sensor may be the culprit.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Possible partial blockage in radiator or hoses I suppose. Not really a big variation at idle on a hot day. How about some more info. Mileage for example. What is the temp when it acts up. Idling slowly with the air on in traffic?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
See my wiring diagram and explanation of fan operation in Post #4 here:

I'm wondering if your Fan #1 fuse is blown OR the Cooling Fan Left High Speed Relay (actually it's for both low and high speed) is not working. If the fuse is blown or the relay is not energizing, neither fan will run in low speed. With neither fan running in low speed, the coolant will heat up enough that the BCM will call for high speed, energizing the other 2 relays. The Cooling Fan Speed Control Relay will energize, but it won't do anything due to the failure of the fuse/relay mentioned above. But the Cooling Fan Right High Speed Relay will also energize and start the right fan in high speed. I believe it will continue to run in high speed until the engine cools off.

First I would check the Fan #1 fuse with a meter (not your eyeball). If it's good, then I would swap the Cooling Fan Left High Speed Relay with the Cooling Fan Control Relay and see if both fans run in low speed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine temperature sensor, thermostat and coolant are the main components for the cooling system.

The coolant level is correct so no leaks for sure. If the thermostat stuck open or close then the temperature reading should be consistent. I would say the sensor may be the culprit.
Thank you so much! I am going to look into it. I wanna start small before I worry about the bigger things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.