Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temperature gauge does not move and the dash reads engine hot a/c off .Also after running car radiator fan stays on for 30 seconds.

do not see any leakage engine does not smell hot took about 1/2 gallon of anti freeze. also day before dash was reading check stabilize steering.

Is it electrical sensor problem,

·
Registered
563 Posts
Temp gauge usually stays at 210F most of the time unless there is a cooling problem.
Engine hot-A/C off indicates running hot and A/C turned off to reduce heat load on engine. Engine hot (only)message is usually tripped at 267F and indicates a real problem that requires shutting down to prevent engine damage.
Normal for fan/s to run for a bit after shutdowns as the stopping of air flow through radiator causes a temporary rise in fluid temp--this is computer controlled.

Seems you being low on coolant caused the problem. Hopefully it is back to normal but keep track of the radiator level and keep checking for leaks. That fluid loss was caused by something and may happen again.

Male sure you have the correct level of fluid in the overflow bottle--the full level is only an inch or so above the bottom of the container you see when the hood is up.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Agree with above observations of Bayner 66.

Primary concern now is two fold.

Where did the coolant go?

Cooling system must be pressure tested to determine where leak is. Leak must be repaired. Your info does not say your year, but understand, leaking water pumps are common place. Running an engine with low or no coolant will be a death wish to the engine.

"Temperature gauge does not move and the dash reads engine hot a/c off"

Why is the gauge not working? Does it move at all? Did this non operational gauge occur with the current problem you have with low coolant?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your input. the temperature gauge does not move past 160 the lowest setting. The car is a 2009.

again i have not noticed any leaking spots on driveway. do you think the temperature gage is broken causing the computer to signal Hot ?

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
youll want to partially lift the radiator cover- and pour fluid in there....

if it is leaking coolant-- it is probably a very slow- leak- slow enough that as it leaks down the timing cover chain- it is evaporating.
Many have had that.

Look around the pulleys and look for signs of white track marks.

you may have to turn wheel and get on your back and use flashlight to inspect.

how to spot water pump leak

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2430.0

·
Registered
563 Posts
If the temp gauge is not moving from 160 it is not functioning. Gauge could be bad, sensor could be bad or Engine control module (ECM), which would control caution messages, could have a problem. A functioning gauge will usually read 210F as I mentioned above. If you notice further coolant loss it may be time for a shop visit.

As Bob stated ---why was the coolant low? Needs to be watched closely to determine.

Water pumps can be a cause of fluid loss with these engines (shaft seal leak)but should be covered by warranty if you have under 110K miles.

So far my 2009 has been trouble free but I'm just approaching 50K miles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
check to make sure the sensor is still plugged in. It is located in the very front of the engine, down between radiator fan and engine. It is covered around by heat shielding. I accidentally knocked mine off while changing the spark plugs and got this same message on my dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2014 LTZ 48k miles has this issue intermittently with the gauge stuck on 160° and A/C inop and Fan running, but I don't get the Engine Hot message.
I can shut down and restart and everything will work normal, it is just intermittent on different power cycles.
I hope it is just the ECM which should be covered under the Power Train Warranty.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Don't know about Traverses, but common issue on Silverados: If thermostat sticks open, engine doesn't warm up as fast as the BCM thinks it should and gives you the engine hot, A/C off message. The STUPID thing about it is that it disables the actual temperature readout - Just when you want it MOST. :eek:hno:

Happened to my 2009 Silverado a couple years ago (It was in June, so fairly warm out, too). I was only going about 5 miles, so I kept going. Next time I started it up, everything worked fine and it's been OK ever since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old post, but - Experiencing this same issue now - what was the fix?

My 2014 LTZ 48k miles has this issue intermittently with the gauge stuck on 160° and A/C inop and Fan running, but I don't get the Engine Hot message.
I can shut down and restart and everything will work normal, it is just intermittent on different power cycles.
I hope it is just the ECM which should be covered under the Power Train Warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bad Coolant Temperature Sensor. Very common failure, happens to everyone. Cheap and easy to replace, too.
I had my coolant sensor replaced 10 days ago. Temperature gauge wasnt moving and fan constantly on when running and on startup and a few min after shutoff. It ran fine for 10b dd's days but now same issue again( engine light was on first time but not now) 2014 traverse thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my coolant sensor replaced 10 days ago. Temperature gauge wasnt moving and fan constantly on when running and on startup and a few min after shutoff. It ran fine for 10b dd's days but now same issue again( engine light was on first time but not now) 2014 traverse thank you
Same replaced was good for a month happening again what would it be

·
Registered
2020 High Country
703 Posts
Same replaced was good for a month happening again what would it be
Did you use a GM sensor, aftermarket sensors are problematic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts