Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have little options. I have a 2014 Travese and need to tow a Uhaul trailer. I am moving from CT to ME and traveling about 400 miles. I read that the tow capability is 2000 witch seem very low. I was hoping to rent their large trailer (6x12). My question is, Is there a real risk towing over that weight for a 1 time move of 400 miles? Am I looking to destroy the transmission?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If your vehicle does not have the tow package, I would not tow a trailer that large that will surely weigh over 2,000 lbs when loaded for that long. I'd have no issue around town, but the non-V92 just doesn't have the cooling to keep up with that kind of strain on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm assuming you don't have a hitch yet, either. If you PM me your email address, I can send you a bunch of info on adding the tow package yourself. GM still won't warrant it for 5200 lbs, but you're probably out of warranty anyway. With the U-haul, you won't need to mess with a brake controller; they have surge brakes built-iin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seem to have little options. I have a 2014 Travese and need to tow a Uhaul trailer. I am moving from CT to ME and traveling about 400 miles. I read that the tow capability is 2000 witch seem very low. I was hoping to rent their large trailer (6x12). My question is, Is there a real risk towing over that weight for a 1 time move of 400 miles? Am I looking to destroy the transmission?
Just an FYI u haul won’t rent you anything above the factory tow capacity. You can goto u haul.com to see what you can tow. Put in the 6x12 trailer and your vehicle information and see if it lets you rent it

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was lucky enough...I found my hitch on a junkyard Acadia for dirt cheap. Only had to mount it and install the corresponding fuses and relays. I did however install the full package + a trans cooler. When I towed a U Haul across country last year the trans stayed mostly in the 170s. But UHaul gave me the trailer no issue. Could've been because I already had the hitch installed.
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts