Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Public land owner
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2022 traverse premier. The tailgate release button on the tailgate itself is quite loose, seems like it could fall out any time. Should be an easy fix but I’m not sure how to access that area. Anybody have a diagram they could pull up help me out? Thanks. Don’t want to chance a dealership visit if I don’t have to.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It's just got some "spring clips"/tabs on the sides of the button and it just snaps into the trunk panel trim piece.

You can get away with removing the screw (by the handle) and then pulling the trim piece down (without removing the whole piece) and pushing the button out from behind. Maybe one of the clips on the side broke?

This should be the button, I believe, or at least an example to show you what it looks like/how it attaches:

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,169 Posts
I'd take it in. You paid a lot of money for the vehicle. Use your warranty, besides there may be a factory bulletin / update for that.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks,
It’s actually the release or open button on the tailgate itself.
Gotcha!
Okay, looks like it's part number: 13534830, for the button itself:

Here's a picture of how it attaches (clips into) the bigger black plastic trim piece/surround, which is clipped into the tailgate itself:

So either the surround clips are broken (that hold it in), or the hooks on the button itself are broken or something.

You could replace the whole switch & surround, but it's a little more money:

Ideally, you'd want to pop off the interior trim piece and then reach down & squeeze the plastic push pins together to release it all.
OR you just just pry it off, if you were going to replace the whole assembly anyways. I don't know where/how far the wire harness goes to be able to reconnect it though.

OR, as said, try and get it fixed under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts