Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to drive my wife's 2010 LTZ for only the second time since she bought it last month. I noticed that on the tach display area, the top portion of the outer display area with the hash marks were nicely lit and very visible, as was the speedometer display on the other half of the dash.

However, looking at the tach display, the bright well lit area was only on the section from about the 10 o'clock section to the 2 o'clock section. The rest of the display below those sections were noticeably dimmer, almost as if a light bulb is burned out. Or that there is a brighter bulb in the upper section.

Has anyone else noticed the difference in lighting in this area? This was during the day, and I haven't driven it at night yet. Only 400 miles on it but I'm thinking it will have to go back to the dealer to have the problem looked at.

The other thing I noticed was the tach needle really seemed to "float" up and down more than any other I have ever seen, especially on the freeway. Usually the needle is a steady up or down motion, depending if you are stepping on the gas or the brake. This needle seems to have a mind of it's own and moves slightly by a few hundred rpms with no pressure on the gas pedal.

I was on the freeway with the cruise on, and wonder if it was because of the 6 speed transmission "hunting" for the right gear. If that was the case, it was the only indication of it, as all shifts were smooth and quiet, and there was no lugging or hesitation.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I can't say that I have noticed the difference in backlighting on the tachometer. I will check when I get home.

I believe that my tach stays pretty steady, especially with the cruise control on. You need somewhat of an incline before the transmission will shift out of 6th...depending on your speed I suppose. You can always lock out 6th using "M" on the gear selector and see if the needle still jumps around in 5th.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great suggestion, I never thought to lock it in 5th or use the trailer mode. I'll give that a try next time she lets me drive her car!

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
well you said daytime... but I happen to have pics of my cluster (taken in a parking garage)...
so they are-- FULL bright, LOW, and if you go past LOW - 2 notches I believe- the side gauges, the middle fuel gauge- and all the numbers dissapear... youre left with dim hash marks and the DIC...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I sure am glad that I don't have to drive Rbarrios car....those gauges are blurry! :happy:

Anyways, back to the subject, looking at your pictures I can see what the OP is saying about bright from 10 til 2, and dimmer everywhere else.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quantum said:
I sure am glad that I don't have to drive Rbarrios car....those gauges are blurry! :happy:
LOL!!!

The "floating" of the tach could easily be from the torque converter going in and out of lock. This is normal, especially in this 6 speed trans. It's one of the ways they get good MPG, while still allowing enough power to reach the wheels when needed. I'm not great at explaining how an automatic trans works, so maybe someone else can explain better.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turn the knob back to full bright

The knob is set on full bright, and the tach display area looks like the last picture posted, with the noticeable dimness below 10 and 2 o'clock. All the other gages and speedometer appear as shown in the first picture.

As I said, I only drove it during the day, and I was really surprised at the amount of illumination that is on the dash displays to begin with for day time use.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Mine is also dimmer below 10 and 2. It looks like there are 2 hash marks for the lines between 10 and 2, and they are both illuminated. The lower portion of the tach also has 2 hash marks for each line, but only 1 is lit. Not a big deal to me though. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"The other thing I noticed was the tach needle really seemed to "float" up and down more than any other I have ever seen, especially on the freeway" glad i'm not the only one noticing or having this issue my traverse does the exact same thing. i took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't come up w/ anything other than saying it could just be that sensitive or it's possibly a faulty display cluster. i don't think it's the latter because when you kick it in to upshift it's rock steady until it goes into overdrive.

G

·
bowtie said:
"The other thing I noticed was the tach needle really seemed to "float" up and down more than any other I have ever seen, especially on the freeway"
I think the vehicle "feels" the slight dips up and down in the road and that translates into a floating needle; I have seen this especially when I have the cruise set

1 - 11 of 11 Posts