Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a switched fuse in the front fuse block that will power a dash cam. I can't seem to pick one based on how they seem to operate within the car. Help!!

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
the previous generation - folks used switched power from a pin on the ONSTAR mirror.

they used for cams and radar detectors.

With yours being the new generation.... youre the 1st to ask about this....

You may well end up being the person who will tell us what you find/do...... and please post the info for future owners.

Reactions: prlx1967

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it is anything like previous gens, finding switched power will be difficult. When I replace my Head Unit, I will pull 12V from the switched wire to a relay to a fuse block either in engine bay or under dash somewhere. That way I will have 4 or more available switched 12v lines for accessories. Will post up some pics when I have this done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it is anything like previous gens, finding switched power will be difficult. When I replace my Head Unit, I will pull 12V from the switched wire to a relay to a fuse block either in engine bay or under dash somewhere. That way I will have 4 or more available switched 12v lines for accessories. Will post up some pics when I have this done.
Any updates on getting it installed and how?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Got my mini fuse tap (took me 3 orders!), and found switched power.

It’s the Rear USB fuse in the front fuse block. Turns power on when car is is in on or run. Works great. I grounded my cable to a grounding point on the passenger side behind the panel next to the door.

I tested the USB ports connected to iPads at the same time while running the camera with no issues. If I run into anything I will keep this post updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BTT, doing the same thing on a 2014 Traverse, looking for a switched power fuse and best way to hook up the dash cam, thanks! Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
BTT, doing the same thing on a 2014 Traverse, looking for a switched power fuse and best way to hook up the dash cam, thanks! Paul
When I was looking on my 2015, I pulled radio and climate control out and found that previous owner had actually tapped into 3 wires for the climate/radio for const/switc/gnd. I ran this to a relay with 12v from battery under floor to a fused distribution block that I can now hook up things to. I didn't take a picture at the time, but the switched power was an orange wire for the climate control I believe. Will take a pic next time I pull out the radio.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Mike,
man o man I forget what a PITA new cars are to work on, I'm so used to old Jeeps and trucks where you can sit in the engine bay.
After a number of failed attempts, some brainstorming, and of course google-fu....I'm deciding to tap into the the fuse block in the passenger footwell using a fuse tap from my local big box auto...4th one down from the top left is the rear wipers, that ought to work just fine. :nerd::nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuse tap failed, more specifically I failed. Could not find a ground around interior fuse box, it's all plastic and aluminum.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fuse tap failed, more specifically I failed. Could not find a ground around interior fuse box, it's all plastic and aluminum.

For what year? The 2018 closest location is in the photo above (passenger side under front right kick panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone know what fuse to use on a 17? Need to connect Wife's dashcam

I got lucky in my 17 Fusion Sport and there are a lot of switched fuse points that are not being used but have fuses in them to tap into.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts