Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!
So I also wanted to swap out the standard fog lamp that came with the 2019 RS Traverse, it's just not bright and it does look wonky.

I was looking around and I noticed L:ED ones that swap from amber to white on power cycles. Has anyone tried these before? Is the amber good in fog?
I drive often from Vermont to NJ and if this is an option I would like to try it out since when it gets foggy is is soupy.

I added a link to one that I have seen:

So any help would be great, if you have better suggestions I'm all ears.. I like the headlights, but the drivers would be great on the NY Thruway !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone!
So I also wanted to swap out the standard fog lamp that came with the 2019 RS Traverse, it's just not bright and it does look wonky.

I was looking around and I noticed L:ED ones that swap from amber to white on power cycles. Has anyone tried these before? Is the amber good in fog?
I drive often from Vermont to NJ and if this is an option I would like to try it out since when it gets foggy is is soupy.

I added a link to one that I have seen:

5202/PSX24W/5200/5201/9009 CREE LED Chips Fanless LED Fog Light Bulbs 6000LM 6000K Xenon White Fog Light

So any help would be great, if you have better suggestions I'm all ears.. I like the headlights, but the drivers would be great on the NY Thruway !
Just bumping this, also if there are "regular" bulbs that work well in would be interested. Amber may be the way to go in inclement weather?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have LED switchbacks and they work as described and are very bright compliments my LED headlights. However, they do go into hyper flash mode if you set the turn signal but if you use the tap method it won't. There are resistor and plug and play adapters to eliminate this also. Since none of my lights are out, flashing fast doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have LED switchbacks and they work as described and are very bright compliments my LED headlights. However, they do go into hyper flash mode if you set the turn signal but if you use the tap method it won't. There are resistor and plug and play adapters to eliminate this also. Since none of my lights are out, flashing fast doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Any particular reason why you would let it hyperflash instead of installing the correct way? Or buying one of the sets that claims no hyperflash? Some of the new ones on Headlight Revolution claim to have no hyperflash without resistors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any particular reason why you would let it hyperflash instead of installing the correct way? Or buying one of the sets that claims no hyperflash? Some of the new ones on Headlight Revolution claim to have no hyperflash without resistors.
Cost is one reason and second is it doesn't bother me. They are no different then the hyper flash brake lights.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cost is one reason and second is it doesn't bother me. They are no different then the hyper flash brake lights.
I'm pretty sure the hyper flash brake lights are considered illegal in most jurisdictions... at least that's what the manufacturer's website said when I was looking at them years ago.

I don't agree with your installation or reasoning but it's your vehicle and as long as the mods are legal and safe I'm not going to push any further. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
They sound like a good solution, however one reviewer (on amazon) said that they became un-synced on him. I'm afraid you might have a similar issue. I changed out my fogs to LED, and they seem to flicker when the auto-start kicks in (PLEASE NO OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION ON AUTOSTART HERE). That minor drop in voltage for a split second might be enough for them to switch color and might drive you crazy. Just my 2 cents, please let us know how it goes if you do install these.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most of the issues with flickering is due to computer controlled voltage drops in our signal light bulbs. . Our vehicles were designed to use 12v lights and 65 watts. Regular bulbs burnout and the wattage draw drops causing the computer to flash the lights rapidily each time a signal is sent to let the driver know a bulb is out. Some cars like will actually tell you which is out using a similar system. When you convert to LED the wattage required is far less than standard bulbs and hence the flashing. Hyper flashing is just a fanancy name for the new generation of drivers and actual term for bulbs designed to flash rapidly each time. Becoming unsynced is not something I lve heard but I'm guessing they meant flashing faster then before. Currently I'm debating keeping them flashing rapidly or adding the resistor to slow them down by tricking the computer into thinking it's a regular bulb. I normally just tap the signal and it flashes normally for a few seconds and shuts off and but when I'm exiting a highway or need more time to signal they do flash faster as if if a bulb was out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They sound like a good solution, however one reviewer (on amazon) said that they became un-synced on him. I'm afraid you might have a similar issue. I changed out my fogs to LED, and they seem to flicker when the auto-start kicks in (PLEASE NO OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION ON AUTOSTART HERE). That minor drop in voltage for a split second might be enough for them to switch color and might drive you crazy. Just my 2 cents, please let us know how it goes if you do install these.
Hmm...you never mentioned this before. Is it momentary, or the whole time the auto start kicks in (or the car is off, during auto stop?) or what?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also just read back the OP question and realized that what was asked is not what I was discussing. To answer the OP you need to simply get your bulb size in led from a vendor that offers error free/code free bulbs. I have a 2011 and my turn signal is also my amber driving light. I wanted amber turn signals but white driving lights so I bought the ones that do just that. The are steady no flicker in white driving mode and flash amber when I select the signal but because of the wattage difference in LED bulbs it cause it to flash amber rapidly. This also makes the rear signal flash rapidly also. Other than that they are great to have. The picture here shows the passenger side in normal running mode with white light at bottom and the drivers side light has the left turn signal on switching to amber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts