Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

Need a bit of help as I'm chasing a vibration/shudder above 70mph in our 12' Traverse LTZ (FWD). I've had all the tires/rims checked twice and they are balanced and none are bent, I've also checked the tires and rims for roundness using a straight edge and rotating the tires while it's off the ground and they are all true. Front suspension components are all new (control arms (w/ball joints), shocks, inner and outer tie rods and stabilizer links) as I replaced them all when I was experiencing a popping noise when turning and it turned out the ball joints were gone and that was about 20K miles ago. I just (this weekend) replaced the front struts under (RockAuto) warranty and went with the KYBs instead of the Gabriel's and it helped a bit but I'm still getting the shudder. It's not so much in the steering wheel as it is in the chassis and you can feel the whole car vibrating a bit. Now about 20K miles ago when I was chasing the popping noise, I also replaced the CV axels with Cardone units from RockAuto and they've been fine and the shuddering hasn't shown up until now, could that be my cause? I have a 2 post lift in my garage and working the car is relatively easy, but I don't wanna keep just throwing parts at it. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sure it's not the torque converter? IE, does it shudder off the throttle at 70 too?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure it's not the torque converter? IE, does it shudder off the throttle at 70 too?
I'll test it again, but I'm pretty positive it's suspension or tire related as I remember it still being there off throttle. I thought about the Torque Convertor as well, but they typically show up as early as 30-40 mph from what I've seen.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked it out again today and the shudder in the wheel and chassis starts at 70mph and is independent of the throttle and as it slows down (without throttle) it still is present until you get below 70mph - so it doesn't feel like the torque converter. I've checked the bearings/hubs and I get zero deflection or noise when rocking the tire (12 and 6 o'clock) with it off the ground. Kind of at a loss here and I'm wondering if it could be the tires/rims after all? Could it still be the hubs/bearings as they are original to the car and have about 145K on them now?

Reactions: nhrata01

·
Registered
132 Posts
Some vehicles have trouble with balance related issues that do not come up with a normal tire balance. In this case you should have a road force balance done. Most balance shops have a machine that is road force capable (we do here). We don't use the road force balance unless there seems to be an issue with the normal balance. You can see this on Youtube if you do a search for Road Force Balance. We are an educational institution, not a paid shop so we normally do a standard balance on our tires even though the machine can do a Road Force balance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some vehicles have trouble with balance related issues that do not come up with a normal tire balance. In this case you should have a road force balance done. Most balance shops have a machine that is road force capable (we do here). We don't use the road force balance unless there seems to be an issue with the normal balance. You can see this on Youtube if you do a search for Road Force Balance. We are an educational institution, not a paid shop so we normally do a standard balance on our tires even though the machine can do a Road Force balance.
Thanks Linneje, I confirmed that Discount has Road Force Balance machines and had them checked again with zero issues. I've checked all the bearings and there are no noises coming from them when spinning freely (removed the CV axels upfront to check those) and then temperature checked all the hubs after driving for 30 mins on the highway and all are between 95-100 degrees. I've ordered a dial indicator setup and I'm going to be checking the radial run out of the tires, rims and hub to see if I have anything out of round - especially a tire. Last thing it could be would be the CV axels, just not sure how to definitively test those?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just don't buy into an axle problem causing the vibration (I have used the Cardones before myself without issue). I actually remember one person on a different forum having a similar problem, turned out that there was a small amount of water/ice inside one tire that threw the balance out when the tire heated up. But that is not your problem unless you live in Alaska this time of year. Not the bearings (they would be make noise at lower speeds than the 70 mph). Check the torque on the new suspension components? (I made a mistake on that once with a rear shock, was causing noise)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could it be a U-Joint/Driveshaft issue?
That's what I was thinking as well, but the CV axels are relatively new (Cardone units) and installed around 15-20K miles ago.

Trying to rule out the tires first and then I'll look at swapping out the CV's, just don't wanna throw parts at it without knowing for sure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. I just got done with a full front end rebuild (along with some other stuff) on my GMC pickup truck, and have the same issue you do. I'm running 37" tires, may not be helping, but with all that work I just did I would love to have it as good as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts