Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, in Vancouver, there usually isn't too much snow...mainly rain, with some ice and a touch of snow...more on the mountains for skiing.

But, with El Nina, they are predicting it to be a cold and snowy winter, and with 2 kids, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

any suggestions on a decent, hopefully inexpensive, good quality snow tire? At Canadian Tire, they have special orders of Goodyear Ultra Grips for $320 with TPMS each...before tax. Don't know anything about them, and the price seems high, but it's the first time buying snow tires for a CUV/SUV.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
They sell a lot of these tires in Michigan, great in snow http://www.nokiantires.com/

A family friend has them on her Jeep Commander and she says they are 10x better then the gy's that it came with and only cost her about $600-$700 for a set of 4 mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have GY Assurance Triple-Tred on my Pursuit. They work awesome in *any* weather. Wet/dry traction is fantastic. Work well in snow too. They are not a 'Winter' tire, but as far as all-season tires go, you can't get any closer to a Winter tire. They wear like iron too. That said, GY makes a Fortera Triple-Tred as well (not sure on the sizing though). If they're anything like the Assurance Triple-Treds I have... they'd get a thumbs-up and would work well for your mix of weather. You are predominantly in 'wet' weather versus snow.

I'm in Toronto area (out in the East-end) and am down close to Lake Ontario. We get more rain than snow - but see our fair share of snow for sure. The Triple-Treds gave me more than enough confidence in all weather conditions such that I didn't even think I needed Winter tires. Saved me the expense of 2 sets of tires and rims, plus changing them out.

Due to aggressive tread design, don't expect a fully silent tire, the triple-tred has been noted for slightly more road noise. For me, I didn't care so much and it's been excellent on the Pursuit. I would give the Fortera Triple-Tred line a go, but I still have plenty of life left in my OE Fortera's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the suggestions.

I should have looked closer as there was a previous thread on the same topic. I think I"m going to bite the bullet this first winter and just stay with the Goodyear Fortera's that are on right now. I only got the Traverse in early June and they've got deeper tread than the winter tires on the Michelin X-Ice tires I had on my previous car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
merlin said:
thanks for the suggestions.

I should have looked closer as there was a previous thread on the same topic. I think I"m going to bite the bullet this first winter and just stay with the Goodyear Fortera's that are on right now. I only got the Traverse in early June and they've got deeper tread than the winter tires on the Michelin X-Ice tires I had on my previous car.
I'm still debating what to do and like you I'm in the Vancouver area.

Am thinking of taking advantage of the Fountain Tire Goodyear 4 for 3 deal.

I've used Nokians in the past and they were very good on snow and ice but slick in the rain. With the traction control on the Traverse that may not be as much of an issue as with the last vehicle that just loved to spin the snows in the wet.

I'm also looking to picking up a set of those low profile chains someone posted here recently. I believe Lordco and KAL Tire are local retailers.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_SZ6.html

Super Z6 / Z8

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
718 Posts
In MN here and we'll just be sticking to the stock Goodyears for the winter. I've been driving in MN winters for over 20 yrs and have never used a snow tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts