Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I am the only one that this has ever happened to, but this morning when getting into my traverse my knee hit the light controls (light dial and dash dimer) in the dash to the left of the steering wheel. This knocked them out of whatever holds them in place. Now they are back in the dash and tilted a little to the side. I fiddled with them as much as I could at stop lights on the way to work, but didn't have any luck aligning them back up with the hole to pull them back through.

Anyone done this before or at least know an easy way to get behind this area of the dash to push them back in from the back?

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Hows the knee?

But I think Ive read of 1 other person doing this.
I believe they were able to pop it back in no issue.
I dont recall the details of how they did it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As bad as this sounds, its not the worst thing I've done like this. Once getting into my sister's car (many years ago) my knee hit one of the air vents and broke all the "fins" off of it.

I have to say one thing I've never liked about the traverse is the steering wheel tilt. I have it at the maximum tilt up just for normal driving. Thus I can't put it higher to get in and out. In my 04 Silverado I had before it I had the steering wheel half way down for driving, and it went really high for exiting. This sound unrelated, but just another leg-room thing.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
yeah the traverse steering wheel slides UP and down.

Whereas my Trailblazer for example- the steering wheel- tilts up and down on what Im sure is some sort of "universal joint"

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I had a 91 Camaro and if anyone remembers them they had that had a sharp round that was exposed.

I hit it so hard with my knee getting in once I bent it and had to be helped back out of the car. Took over a month to heal.

Lucky I was still a you buck then.

I also broke off the brake release knob in both of my Colorado's getting out. It was in a bad place and would hook into your shoe laces.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I'm 6'8" tall, so the tilt steering was a bonus for me!

I found that just tilting the wheel up wasn't enough. I was still hitting my knee on the wheel. Then I slid the steering wheel closer to me (towards the rear of the car), with the tilt fully up, and that gave me the clearance that I need. I have no issue getting in and out now.

Thankfully, my wife just moves the seat, but not the wheel, so its not too hard to get in and out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I have hit mine too. But not hard enough to knock it in.

I did the same thing in my Yukon and broke it, :eek: just like you did. I pushed it back in place, but it was always loose.

·
Registered
70 Posts
On my 2010, the dimmer button can be pushed in when not in use making it flush with the lower panel avoiding contact.

Vetmann

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up getting it back in. It does seem a little loose now, but then again, I never tried to giggle it before so I can't really compare it. I ended up just being able to pull it back through the hole and using a dime from my console to leverage the lighting dial around the lip of the dash. So, tools needed: opposable thumbs and a dime. :cheers:

@vetmann, it wasn't the dimmer that was in the way, my knee hit the exterior lighting dial. The dash dimmer button and the dial are all one piece. When I hit the dial, it all dropped back into the dash. It would be slick if the dial could recess too.

15 Posts
I did the exact same thing two days after we picked ours up from the dealer. I was fueling up and the wind was really gusty. Just as I started to get into the car, the wind blew the door into me and knocked my knee right into the lighting controls, popping them loose and they fell inside the dash assembly. We went to the dealer (yes I went to the dealer for something this simple, I was pissed off and wasn't willing to break it trying to fix it) and the service department just opened up the side panel on the driver side dash, and pushed/snapped it back into place. Took about 15 seconds.

I too noticed that it "seemed" to be a little more loosely mounted after the incident, and I too wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not. I'm a *lot* more careful now when getting in and out.

I have the steering wheel set as high as it will go, and I am only 5'9". I hate that it doesn't tilt or slide any higher. I've also noticed that if you sit perfectly centered in the driver seat, you are not perfectly centered in front of the steering wheel and gauge cluster. Drives me nuts sometimes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
dstanley, I guess I misread, thought it was the little light dimmer button itself. hope the knee is better

vetmann

1 - 11 of 11 Posts