Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2012 Traverse LT1. Standard Onstar mirror. Is prewired for the camera. My brother and I found the connector in the back hatch, Good we thought. Did buy the factory Onstar mirror w day/night hookup and with the backup screen. Also bought the GP-KD5G09RC backup camera in the factory handle. Something just did not seem right with the factory harness. So i ordered a 50" roll of 18 gauge 6 wire stranded with shielding and the bare wire. The mirror and the cam are used from Ebay. Have the mirror functions all working but the LCD screen. Test the camera out alone works great. We got it to work through a small test screen I use to install Out side cameras. Had it working to where you put the vehicle in reverse I would get a picture on my monitor but never on the mirror LCD. Even bought a second gm mirror still no image. 6 wires from the camera harness. I know the 4 wires that feed from the camera eye itself that means the other two are for the relay inline with the camera. The harness to the mirror has two wires open pink and lt blue. Tried every combination I can and no image. Ready to just hang the newer mirror and forget the rear camera. It does have the rear sensor backing package but would be easier to see with the camera. I cannot find an accurate pin out for the backup 6 wires or the harness for the mirror. Help................Did not think about pictures, can do that tomorrow if anyone thinks it will help. Thanks ahead of time. :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Camera

Went to the dealer and they could not pull up any information on the pinout for the oem inside onstar mirror with the lcd screen or the oem rear hatch camera. They cannot even give me info on there own stuff. Incredible ! Cannot find this information anyplace online.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

I doubt there is any possible simple hookup like an after market camera hookup feeding a video monitor. My gen1 had the picture in the Nav but my '11 Tahoe had the monitor mirror. The signal fed by the camera likely requires further video processing through the separate Nav module that processes the signal and feeds the signal along with the input from the steering wheel for the rear projection lines controlled through the DIC and ultrasonic bumper modules to the radio head, a mirror screen may require a separate module containing the hardware for the LCD display, a proprietary radio head and/or dealer reflash for radio head....the mirror contains a video display but may not be like a stand alone monitor, just the display screen driven by a separate module or the properly flashed radio head. A stand alone test monitor may work, but absent the programming and/or the module to process the signal the LCD screen won't. Further the wiring feeds in the mirror harness depend upon the stock mirror for the vehicle, whether a flip mirror with on star buttons, a self dimming mirror with onstar buttons or a LCD display, self dimming with OnStar.....factory camera display mirror has a 1/0 button which is for the self dimming feature without LCD display, but is a push and hold to turn on or turn off the LCD display for those with cameras. Eg. On a harness with a stock flip mirror there is one active power feed pin in the harness for OnStar, but not for the pin powering the self dimming function......been there, done that, replacing an OnStar flip mirror with a self dimming mirror OnStar mirror requires running a separate positive feed from an ignition source to feed the power pin for the self dimming feature

Actually surprised the dealer even attempted to locate a mirror pinout. It is irrelevant to them, all they want to know or care about is to replace the mirror, driver module, camera or radio head until the mess works and could care less about the specific pinouts in the mirror.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My 2011 didn't have Nav, but had the camera in the rearview mirror. So I don't think the Nav does any processing.

The schematic I attached in Post #5 DOES show wiring to the radio, however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What four wires are you using?

I'm guessing 5 & 6 for ground (5) and ignition (6), and 1 & 4 for video signal (1) and grounded reference (4)?

If so, I guess this camera requires 12V to operate?
So, it does appear the camera requires 12V on 3 and 6 to operate. Here's how I ended up wiring the camera:
  • 1, Yellow - Video (+)
  • 2, White - Shield (blunt cut at head unit)
  • 3, Blue - 12 VDC (on reverse signal)
  • 4, Brown - Video (-)
  • 5, Black - Ground
  • 6, Red - 12 VDC (ignition)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts