Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just noticed lately because of the extreme cold weather that when I start the vehicle I get a smell of unburned combustion in the engine bay that find its way inside the cabin with the heater turned on for aprx one minute. :mad: Inside the hood this is where it comes. Smell goes away after and no engine code nothing. Rest of the time no problem. Engine start perfectly. My Traverse is a 2017 with only 1500 miles so far. Anyone with the same issue at minus 25 below

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2017 Traverse with 3400 miles did a similar thing yesterday with that smell but also when it was started blew a grey/black cloud at first when started in 12 below zero. Otherwise it seems to runs normal. My 2009 traverse never did that even in 20 below weather. TZ

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not checked the exhaust smoke but for the minute it smelled I could see the rpm gauge fluctuating a bit hier and lower on the needle for about one minute. I gess at this temperature the engine need a rich mixture for starting. Unfortunatly mine came with no block heater a thing that I miss a lot. Without a block heater it takes forever to warm up the cabin and the temperature gauge takes a long time to climb. If I park the vehicule for 15 minutes at these extreme cold weather I noticed that the gauge that was almost at normal when I parked it is way down almost. On my Uplander that had a 3.9 cast iron block the engine was staying much warmer longer versus an all aluminum block in the 3.6 traverse engine.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Emissions system is operating open loop on cold startup usually about a minute or so and you'll get some funny smells and the systems need an optimal temperature for maximum efficiency. No more 165 F non emission thermostats these emissions systems like 210F. Older convertors would smell like rotten eggs dependent upon the sulfur content of the gas. Now with regional Winter gas blends smell funny smells can come from the tailpipe at startup and waft up under the chassis.

My 2015 did it, the 2018 does it.....seems to be dependent upon the temperature and the brand/blend of gas, more so when the vehicle is new. I hardly notice it in warmer weather.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You are very right on this Thomcat. This morning -24.5 c. Started the car from outside and watched the exhaust pipe while starting. Black and white smoke like a diesel engine for aprx 10 seconds. Never ever experience this on any of my previous cars before. Engine started right away but I could live without this smell when the heater is turned on while starting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts