Traverse Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our 2010 Traverse last week and noticed that when we turn on our dual dvd players they work fine! Until we put the vehicle in gear, they shut off then?? I am really confused on why it does that and really would like to know how to fix it so it works like it should. Called the dealership and they said it could be a safety feature? Confused again....why would this be a safety feature in the back seat, not the 3rd row? Anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? :help:

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
sounds like this was an aftermarket DVD setup?
where they somehow got a wire mixed- that shuts off the Images when in gear..
sort of like aftermarket units will shut off the screen on in dash units...

duh-- the title says it all-- store bought.
there has to be a wire that tells them to shut off... there is obviously an input to the in dash radio that tells it to shut off the video...

who installed the kit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We didn't have a problem in our 2006 Buick, they worked just fine. It is something with this new vehicle. We have never had a problem before until they got switched. Nothing wrong with the store bought ones and our girls love them when we take trips.

·
Registered
248 Posts
??? rbarrios That sounds right to me mine only shuts off the one in the front when you put in drive the back works all the time the ignition is on.

8) Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This dual dvd player is hooked in to the power outlet not hard wired. So I don't think that applies to this type of dvd player.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
so you had DVD players/screens installed into the headrest. (im guessing the DVD's pop into the screen/player somehow)?
and each of these is powered by the power port for the 2nd row...
and thats it? no more wires?

Ok- try this....

power up the DVD units-.
put on the parking brake...
DO NOT start car--- but shift into gear...
do they still turn off?

any pics of the units?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are not dvd players that are in the headrests, they are portable ones. They just hook around the headrest and plug in to the power outlet. I knew this was going to be kind of hard to explain.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
OHHHHHHHHH gotcha.

so for some reason- shifting into gear- cuts the power to this power port...
Hmmm- in that case- I wonder if its possible that the shifter mechanism is somehow rubbing/pulling the power connector???

I have my Sirius radio plugged into the rear power port in the 2nd row- and its always powered regardless of gear selection.
So- plugging in other devices also cuts power?...

Im leaning towards the wiring...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not really sure what the deal is. We did try to plug in to our power outlet in the front seat and that too cuts the power when we put it in gear. So this morning on my way to work I plugged my cell phone charger in with my phone connected and that didn't cut it off. I am not really sure what the deal is. I am guessing it is something to do with the dvd players and the power outlet. I think we may have to take it in to the dealership where we bought the vehicle and have them fix the problem. Who knows :) Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
this is really really interesting.
And this happens with just one of the DVD players plugged in... (vs 2)...

So youve tried your cell phone. that stayed on...
Have you tried any other devices?

Im wondering if somewhere along the line-- when you shift into gear- it for some reason cuts power(partially)... enough so- that the DVD player does not get enough juice--- but its enough that the cell charger stays on...

I would take a meter- and measure voltage- im thinking that its still getting tenths of volts or millivolts while in gear- which shouldnt happen.

let us know what happens.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I too think there is a voltage issue here. I'd put concern in the players first. They may be pulling way too much power, which could lead to many more problems. Check them out in another vehicle too.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
snh-- can you post the model numbers of your players?
id like to see pics/specs on them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can look the stuff up tonight when I get home. At work right now. Curious to find out what the deal is and will be sure to let you know when it is figured out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, didn't get a lot of information, but I do know that they are Polaroid dvd (dual) players. We checked the voltage and it was up to 18 when the vehicle was put in to drive. From what the dealership has told us it is probably to much for the dvd players to handle. I find this crazy since that is what these dvd players are made for, to be in the car. We are looking at putting in a voltage stabalizer or regulator. We shall see.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
18 volts? really?
this was with car running or off (but put into drive)
Ill have to test mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am sorry, I stated that a little wrong. It was at 18 volts when the vehicle was started and just sitting in park. We tried plugging in the dvd players after the car was started and moving, dealership told us to try this, but that didn't work either. We even plugged the dvd players in to our other vehicle and they worked fine. I wonder if the voltage stabalizer/regulator would help??

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
have your tried the power port way in the back of the vehicle-- in the trunk area?

(asking this- because I THINK on Trailblazers- the ports in the front-- are on a diff circuit/fuse-- than the one way in the rear).. so it may be similar in the Traverse....

curious to see if they still turn off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd be surprised if it should be 18 volts. I thought around 14 volts was typical for these outlets. 18 volts seems way too high. Maybe that's the problem. Perhaps the units are cutting out on high voltage.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing- cutting out to protect the circuit (dvd player).
I went out and tested 3 of my ports.
With engine off... it was about 12.6 volts I think.
Started engine- measured voltage at
trunk port- 14.3 volts.
2nd row port-14.3 volts
front console-14.3 volts.

then I shifted into D. measured at
2nd row port- 14.28 volts
front row console-14.29 volts... (Slight voltage drop because I was stepping on the brakes- this brake lights).

so no change in voltage when in park/shifting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts