Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i am turning the wheel in the area of about 10 and 2 (referring to the wheel as a clock) i hear a rubbing noise from the steering wheel itself. kinda like scratching your nails on vinyl or scratching a winter coat. its a weird noise just wondering if anyone else has had this noise? I made appt. at dealer on Friday i will keep posted what they find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, we have it too, that same type of noise. Just started recently, within the past month or so (we've had the Traverse for a year now). Not very loud at all, but noticeable. Haven't taken it in yet. Post back what your dealer says...hopefully something simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar noise of somethin rubbing and scratching at delivery on friday, but for me its already gone (dealer told me to wait a week to see if it would go on its own)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had the exact same problem. I took it in and the front-end-guy lubed the steering wheel shaft, or something. Of course this didn't work, so I had him sit in the truck and listen to it. He said it was the power steering pump! OK, your the front-end-guy, you should know. Took it in to replace the pump, and told the service lady, I don't think that that is where the problem is. Of course, that didn't fix it either! The air bag guy came out and listened to it and said it was a coil in the air bag. We'll try that next! It amakes more sence. The front-end-idiot returned the vehicle to me TWICE, without seeing if the noise stopped! After two weeks my new power steering pump is still squelling away, and I still have the original problem.

I would suggest that you get several people to sit in the vehicle and listen for them selves to exactly where the noise is coming from. Maybe it will save you from what I have been through.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes I have the same thing going on. Seems to be something rubbing between the steering wheel and the cover for the steering column. I figure it will wear in or wear out. Could even be contacts in the steering wheel making the noise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, they replaced the air bag coil. NADA! Didn't work, again. But the dufus front-end-guy got the air out of the new un-needed power steering pump, so the noise he created is gone now.

Three visits to the dealership for nothing. They said they will contact GM tech, or something, to see what they say.

So, Chicago, if your guys figure it out, please let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awhile back some of us where having a streering wheel shutter or power steering pump noise My does it sometimes then it stops I think there was sometings about two lines hitting each other. Where do I look for the lines my kid it a mech I'll let him ck. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WELL..........the dealer told me it is the steering gear making the noise........which is a part that allegedly takes a couple of weeks to get.I don't think i believe that why would i hear it like its coming from the actual steering wheel.So i am not sure if I want them changing my rackin pinion system.any ideas or comments.I went in for the brake booster valve replacement which was another part they didn't have.Maybe its time to change my maintenance dealer.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
chicago said:
WELL..........the dealer told me it is the steering gear making the noise........which is a part that allegedly takes a couple of weeks to get.I don't think i believe that why would i hear it like its coming from the actual steering wheel.So i am not sure if I want them changing my rackin pinion system.any ideas or comments.I went in for the brake booster valve replacement which was another part they didn't have.Maybe its time to change my maintenance dealer.
If they put the steering rack on a "stock order", it may take a week or two! :sosad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
WhoaDogWhoa,

Here ya' go. I had posted this link on the Enclave site (this topic cuts across all Lambdas.

Read the Reply #23 by "Green"...frankly, maybe keeping the word "KISS" in front of you may fix this issue...just maybe :angel:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=6660.20

Good Luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK don't understand the kiss part but....if it were two hoses rubbing wouldn't the noise be coming from outside the cab? this noise is smack dab in front of me but cant be seen. i came across a post somewhere yesterday with reference to service bulletin No.: 09-03-08-004 i need to find out what it is about i feel it may lead to my solution anyone seen it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
There have been a few posts on this.

My Traverse had this issue and I brought it in. There is a service bulletin out from GM that they performed. The result - not much better.

The problem with the noise is that it typically doesn't present itself until the car is warmed up and has been in use for a few minutes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Actually, the noise that Chicago is describing, and that I have, is always present. A scratching noise right in front of you when the wheel is turned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
chicago,

The acronym "KISS" stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid." Sometimes the culprit is something as simple as an interference issue. Just suggesting that in the post referenced by me, 2 hoses having a metal section on each could cause a noise that would transmit into the interior...in front of you. Hope you are able to pinpoint the cause. Good luck and do post your results.

:cheers:

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Went to the dealer today for an oil change and mentioned the noise, well car is still there waiting for a new steering column. Wanted to see if they would check the sevice bulletins , they did and they said this noise was not related to them. Let you know when I get it back tomorrow :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
steering colum? that seems weird but any news about the noise is a step in the right direction keep us posted....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was thinking about asking them to replace the streering column next. I don't want to hear that noise for the next ten years!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Drove ours 1400 miles this weekend (4 day round trip), and didn't hear the noise once. So ours is rare, or needs certain conditions to cause it.

On a side note, we averaged 24.2 mpg on the trip, according to the DIC. That's with about 1200 highway miles, out of the 1400. We've had the Traverse a year now and don't regret the purchase at all. ~15,000 total miles toting around the 5 of us, and this rare, quiet noise is the worst problem we've had. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 267 Posts