Traverse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting on the dealership to call me back. This will be the 4th time the car has been in the dealership for this. :banghead: Clicking noise: First time they had to order the parts per a service bulletin, 2nd time Parts came in (replaced some steering bushings under the car), still made the same clicking sound. They just replaced a "clock spring" in the steering column. Clicking isn't loud like it was, but it's still there, especially at slow speeds. It now makes a sound like you were tuning in an old transistor radio. I was wondering if that transistor sound was normal with a new spring. I don't remember any of the other cars I've driven while mine is in the shop making that noise. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
jrmcswain,

I have read over your post about your Traverse being in the Service Department four different times for the steering issues that you have written about. I understand your frustration about your situation.

I would like to get more information about your situation including your VIN and current mileage on your vehicle. However, I understand about confidentiality with personal information these days so I am going to private message you in regards to the information that I am requesting.

Sincerely,
Michelle P-Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I just replied to your message.

Melissa

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the same problem too except that I have been to the dealership twice and will be going in back for the third soon for this issue. First time I went, they said they can't find anything wrong. Second time, they said they did something and there should not be squeaking anymore. Since we still hear screeching noises when we steer although sometimes we do not, I will be going in for the third time next week.

I hope there is some advice on what I should tell my dealership to help them fix it.

G

·
littlebadboy said:
I have the same problem too except that I have been to the dealership twice and will be going in back for the third soon for this issue. First time I went, they said they can't find anything wrong. Second time, they said they did something and there should not be squeaking anymore. Since we still hear screeching noises when we steer although sometimes we do not, I will be going in for the third time next week.

I hope there is some advice on what I should tell my dealership to help them fix it.
Take one of their technicians on a drive so they can hear the noise; this has helped previous owner's

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine used to have this problem. One trip to dealer and they replaced the spring-loaded contacters for the horn and no more sound.

I have lately developed something of a faint sound while turning that brings to mind an older power steering pump which is a trifle low on fluid. So, back to the dealer for that and also for the warped brake rotor that develoed after the last tire rotation.

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,574 Posts
oh oh-- warped disc- you or they use a torque wrench when they rotated?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got it back from the dealership (4th visit) They replaced the steering column, steering angle position sensor, for the clicks I was hearing. The clicks are currently gone (haven't driven it to much yet). After they replaced the steering column there is now a rubbing sound. They said it was "normal" sound compaired to other traverses.

Does anyone else have any squeaking/rubbing sounds from their steering wheel? It did not have the sound before they replaced the steering column.

Thanks!!
Melissa

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2009 LT to the dealership twice for the steering noise, not only did I have a "grinding" sound when I turned the wheel, I also had a "whine" that sounded like the power steering pump was bad. The dealership said there was a bulletin out for both problems but the grinding noise was unable to be fixed as GM technitions have not found a fix for it. But for the whining noise he said there were 6 possible solutions for it, after trying all 6 I still have a whining noise and it seems to get worse, now what I couldn't understand was the only thing they didnt try was replacing the power steering pump, the service guy said it was not part of the 6 ways to fix it, seems like a lame excuse to me. :eyebrow:

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Chief Illinwek-

I would like to research your situation. I am going to send you a direct message with the information that I will need from you in order to perform the research that I need to do.

Michelle P- Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Michellle,

I have a situation to discuss with you, either in email form or phone.

My email is listed here.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cust Svc Michelle, I, too, have the "whining," pwr steering pump-like sound most evident when turning either direction at low speeds. Annoying more than detrimental. Sometimes I turn the stereo up when I'm doing a lot of city driving to drown out the steering noise.

One other nuisance issue I need to address before my warranty goes bye-bye (I'm at 25,500 miles) is to have the door trim pieces replaced. Unique to the LTZ are door trim pieces with brushed metal inserts. These metal strips were loose (one was missing altogether) at delivery and are loose again, again. This will be the 4th set of trim pieces that have been on my car since it was new. (I do not want to point the blame at the dealer guys for this as I think the design makes it really tough to successfully install these.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found this:
#PIT4754B: Click Noise Or A Clunk Feeling In The Steering Wheel When Turning - keywords column contact horn krytox lube rattle SIR turn - (Mar 18, 2010)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of a click noise or a clunk feeling in the steering wheel when turning. This feels/sounds like it is coming from the air bag area. This noise may go away with the air bag removed.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to "Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement" in SI.

Depress horn plate slightly, and apply lubricant 12345579 (US) 10953481 (Canada) or equivalent between bolt head and the bushing.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts