Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2009 Traverse LTZ one year ago (May 18, 2009). From day 1 I have had a squeak and binding noise coming from the steering column. I have been back to the dealer numerous times and have been told that they (GM) are aware of the prob. and are working on a fix. On March 17, 2010 they (GM) issued a TSB # PI0029A to all dealers telling them NOT to replace any parts at this time. I have spoken with the Chevy regional director who acknowledged the problem and asked me to be patient. After a year of waiting, I'm running out of patience. I noticed that other owners on this forum are experiencing the same issues. I am now considering having the car Lemon Lawed since GM either cannot or will not fix it. Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
using a lemon law for a squeak?

Must be a loud...
How loud is it?

G

·
rbarrios

didn't GeoHawk post a TSB on the Acadia Forum relating to this issue; I think there may be a fix in place

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
is it the one were he turns the wheel and it makes a gear type of sound (there was a video)

G

·
rbarrios said:
is it the one were he turns the wheel and it makes a gear type of sound (there was a video)
I remember that video (that was another member), I will have to contact Geo and ask him directly

G

·
#10-02-32-001: Clunk or Knock Noise When Turning (Replace Steering Gear Bushing) - (Apr 14, 2010)

Subject: Clunk or Knock Noise When Turning (Replace Steering Gear Bushing)

Models: 2008-2010 Buick Enclave
2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2010 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk or knock noise when turning.

Cause
This condition may be caused by movement in a bushing on the rack and pinion.

Correction
Replace the steering gear bushings with the updated part, which has a revised mount material. Refer to Steering Gear Replacement in SI. Then, using a hydraulic press, remove the bushing from the steering gear and install the new bushings.

Does this help?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it's a squeak, then we had it too. We had it for about 2 months and then it went away. Hasn't been back for a few weeks now. It probably knows that it's going to the dealership for the body shop repair from the accident, as well as the parking brake recall (we don't use the parking brake, so we didn't worry about the recall) and our problem with the HVAC controls. It's such a pain to take the car in if it's not summer since my wife has to shuttle the kids to/from school, so it's it not major, we tend to live with it for a while.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a scratching sound almost like a thumbnail on the teeth of a comb but softer -- kinda like a spring coiling and uncoiling, when I bought my Traverse last October. It got worse (louder) and I took it to the dealer. They said it was the horn contacts (spring loaded actually) and they fixed it no problem. The sound now seems to be resurfacing ever so softly.

I suppose I'll wait to see if it worsens and then take it in with any other issues before the warranty goes bye-bye at about 18 months of ownership in my case. :sunny:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the same squeaking sound too. It does not irritate me yet but I only heard this on the Traverse among the vehicles that I have owned.

AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
#10-02-32-001: Clunk or Knock Noise When Turning (Replace Steering Gear Bushing) - (Apr 14, 2010)

Subject: Clunk or Knock Noise When Turning (Replace Steering Gear Bushing)

Models: 2008-2010 Buick Enclave
2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2010 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk or knock noise when turning.

Cause
This condition may be caused by movement in a bushing on the rack and pinion.

Correction
Replace the steering gear bushings with the updated part, which has a revised mount material. Refer to Steering Gear Replacement in SI. Then, using a hydraulic press, remove the bushing from the steering gear and install the new bushings.

Does this help?
I have this knocking sound too and our dealerships said that they can't find anything loose under there. Thank you for this information. Should this be under Chevy's bumper to bumper warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input....It's not just a squeak....the steering wheel binds and rubs when turning from side to side. It's most noticable while parking, very loud and getting worse.....almost as bad as the video that someone posted. Can't imagine driving with this noise much longer...it's more annoying than nails on a chalkboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 and the steering wheel squeaks. Not a grinding sound. Sounds like rubber on rubber. It's right where the wheel contacts the column as best I can tell. Have tried WD in there to no avail. Also, it's not where it goes thru the firewall. Drives me crazy. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Haven't heard of that problem before. Maybe drop the plastic cover off (several screws, one I believe is under the adjustment locking lever) and see if you can see what's up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts