Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand having squeaky breaks overnight if the car is kept outside due to weather conditions is normal BUT my Traverse is garage kept and we still get the very loud/high pitched squeaky brakes for the initial 1-2min ride. Mileage is at 9k. The sound also happens after getting gas and/or making a quick stop at the grocery store etc. Anyone else experiencing this??

Cheap factory pads?? Still plenty of life on the pads too. Dirt/dust buildup??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Kept outside in moist/rainy conditions the rotors get a thin layer of surface rust which will growl, not screech, the first few stops. Cheap pads usually don't screech, because they have softer surfaces and wear out quicker

Often a high pitched screeching is the result of two mirrored surfaces in contact. Sounds like pads did not break-in in properly, could be too many hard stops and/or riding brake heat glazed the pads and they screech when in contact with the rotor.

Pulling and scuffing the pads and rotor surfaces will at least provide a temporary, or possibly permanent fix depending on pad surface condition. If not permanent ....new pads and skinning the rotors.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

Kept outside in moist/rainy conditions the rotors get a thin layer of surface rust which will growl, not screech, the first few stops. Cheap pads usually don't screech, because they have softer surfaces and wear out quicker

Often a high pitched screeching is the result of two mirrored surfaces in contact. Sounds like pads did not break-in in properly, could be too many hard stops and/or riding brake heat glazed the pads and they screech when in contact with the rotor.

Pulling and scuffing the pads and rotor surfaces will at least provide a temporary, or possibly permanent fix depending on pad surface condition. If not permanent ....new pads and skinning the rotors.
I'm always amused to get behind someone who drives with "both feet." They'll go miles down the road with their left foot on the brake. I'm sure they then bitch about the car manufacturer when they need new brakes at 25K miles!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe there is a technical service bulletin on the brakes. There is a thread on that on the traverse Facebook page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you able to post a link and/or copy & paste? Thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, So the new brake pads fixed the issue? My wife's 2019 RS has had squeaky breaks from the first week we had the car, and it's quite annoying! The car runs and drives great, but sounds like a piece of crap with the constant squeaking. The dealer said it's due to condensation which is complete BS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2019 started getting squeaky brakes this past summer. Always after sitting for the day at work in the garage here or sitting in our driveway overnight. It doesn't last long after I start driving, so I hadn't considered that there's a problem that needs to be addressed. With 26K+ miles on it, I wonder if I complained of squeak, if they'd replace the pads as part of the TSB? :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Its normal. Humidity overnight can be the cause. It turns quiet after a short time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a TSB out about the brake pads on the 2nd gen Traverse, that cause clicking and squeaking and to be replaced with new pads of a different composite.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I saw the post about the TSB. I was just wondering if even at almost 27,000 miles in 11 months, they would still replace them as part of the TSB. :D Next time I'm in, I'll ask.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would be surprised that they will replace your brake pads at the milleage you are. I was complaining to the dealer this summer about some markings on my rotors caused by the pads. He said if over 12,000 miles or one year you are out of luck even for the rotors. The calipers are garanteed for 3 years or 36,000 miles he said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand having squeaky breaks overnight if the car is kept outside due to weather conditions is normal BUT my Traverse is garage kept and we still get the very loud/high pitched squeaky brakes for the initial 1-2min ride. Mileage is at 9k. The sound also happens after getting gas and/or making a quick stop at the grocery store etc. Anyone else experiencing this??

I have the exact same issue. My traverse is kept in the garage and the high pitch squeal is horrible! Worse I already took it in and they replaced the pads and less than two weeks later the noise is back! Did you ever get this resolved? I hate to think that I paid so much money for this vehicle and I’m stuck with this squeal.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the exact situation garage kept and squealing. Worst part is I had the pads replaced by the dealership and less than two weeks later the squealing is back. I have another appointment with the dealership but I’m already frustrated. I purchased the Premier and this is what I get? Don’t even want to drive it anymore. Has anyone else had this issue? Any resolution?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts