Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know this has probably been beaten to death , what’s everyone’s luck running ngk iridium plugs ? Any luck or did they start misfiring after a few thousand km? Thanks

·
Registered
2020 High Country
827 Posts
NGK are normally good plugs. GM engines run best on AC plugs though. I didn't like the rougher idle of the NGK in my Tahoe and switched them to AC. I was just being cheap at the time.
You may have another issue on misfiring. Pulling plugs out and examining them is a confirmation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve ordered new plugs .. ac Delco . Which I always run because I know how fussy these engines are , I maybe got 10k out of this set ,, run fine in town , random misfires on the hiway

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
I believe the iridiums are made by NGK for AC DELCO.
Just bought some from RockAuto by the way.
But- there was a post about them- I believe we had said that the iridiums did not need any of that anti seize on the threads because the plugs had that special coating.
A feature that NGKs use.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
827 Posts
There are a lot of counterfeit NGK plugs out there. NGK even has a website to help you identify them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
.... hope to change them out in a week or two.
Are you going to pull the intake manifold to do it? If so, shoot some photos of the backsides of the intake valves and let us all see the accumulation of crud ( or lack there of). Thanks!!

·
Registered
2020 High Country
827 Posts
I'd put a new set of intake gaskets in while it's apart. Cheap insurance IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I know this has probably been beaten to death , what’s everyone’s luck running ngk iridium plugs ? Any luck or did they start misfiring after a few thousand km? Thanks
I switched out the original plugs (100K) with the ruthium type on my 2016 Traverse. That helped a little bit. Recently I switched out the coil packs with a high performance type (Dragon Fire). I immediately picked up 1 to MPG in the city and 2 to 4 MPG on the highway. You might consider such a change.
Brad

·
Registered
660 Posts
What year is the Traverse?
Whats the mileage?
Whats the driving blend? ( 70% city / 30% highway)
What oil do you run?
Whats the oil change interval?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Day to day. 50/50 trips 90/10 highway-city
Full synthetic
5,000 miles 25% olm
90% top tier fuel bottle of Techron occasionally
I bought it CPO with 42,000 3 years ago.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mostly Mobil1, then Pennzoil Platnium, Supertech, and Shell, all Dexos gen2.
Right after I changed plugs i test drove it no problems, a little while after I got on the interstate. I punched the accelerator as I was making a left turn onto the ramp and got a traction control off, CEL and hesitation, bucking. The CEL quickly cleared and I got on the highway no problem. I drove 10 minutes and checked the codes. ABS right rear, P300 and P306. . No codes since. I tried the same ramp and same conditions but could not recreate the codes. So far so good. Maybe the breather tube being cracked caused it. repaired it till I get a new one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I went a different route .. after a little poking around I thought I’d give it a shot of sea foam , I dropped one can in the fuel tank and did a hot soak in the top end. After the hot soak 10 /15 min I fired it up and lots of sample for the first bit , drove it around and cleared it out ,, very noticeable difference,, idles smooth, no misfires ,and better pick up , I’m not a big additive fan by any means , but this stuff works it seems .. just thought I’d update this .. thanks guys for your help .. has anyone else done this and had similar results?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts