Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to scratch my head every time a read a review online or a post on the Acadia forum that refers to the Acadia as being more "sporty" than the Traverse. There seem to be a lot of them. I really like the Acadia, and was planning to get one (actually I liked the Outlook first) until I started looking at the Traverse. Compared to the Acadia's more "boxy" style, the Traverse just looks like it has a lot more muscle, which is what attracted me to it. The Enclave's body is obviously more similar to the Traverse, but still doesn't seem quite as "performance oriented" looking to me (of course that's purely my opinion of the slightly over-molded wheel wells, which I think look a little "swoopy").

Saw a "professional" review on YouTube the other day (I think it may have been from Consumer Reports) where the guy doing the review said: "The Traverse's styling is clearly marketed toward women." Almost fell off my chair! I realize that opinions differ, but seriously?! Not that men and women can't have overlapping taste, but I think the Traverse is probably one of the - if not THE - toughest looking crossover SUVs out there. (CX-9? Plllleeeeaaase! Can you say station wagon?) ::) Certainly not something a man could be embarrassed to drive - even one who wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan. Of course, some people might consider "tough crossover" an oxymoron... Color is more of a determination of what is "masculine" or "feminine" in my book. (And all of the current Traverse colors are pretty gender neutral IMO).

Okay, rant over. Preaching to the choir I'm sure...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hahaha. Got a good laugh out of that! :thumb:

Although the Traverse is my wife's vehicle I love driving it on weekends and definitely don't think it looks "girly".

·
Registered
11,417 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rbarrios said:
on a side note-- when they say sporty- I think they mean more SUV looking/rugged looking??? possibly?
Maybe you're right. I originally liked the Acadia because I thought the square rear end would give it more rear cargo space, but turns out it doesn't.

I hadn't seen any of those commercials, but dang, it looks like the Traverse marketing DOES target women. Family marketing I can see, but shoes falling from the sky?

Oh well. I guess the only thing that matters is that I like it. I think the utility is great. The main reasons I picked it over alternatives were: 1) interior space, 2) handling, and 3) fuel economy. Compared to everything else, you have to sacrifice on at least one of those, usually two. (e.g. Honda Pilot - no space behind 3rd row, any actual SUV - much worse fuel economy and handling, etc.).

·
Registered
860 Posts
I suppose it's good I'm somewhat in touch with my feminine side... ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Maybe they're appealing to the masculine side of those women? Probably not with all those shoes...
I think the Traverse looks pretty hunky, especially with 20's. If it sat a little lower, it would look a little more sportier I think, but I'm not about to pursue that option. I like the ride height - reminds me of when I drove pickups all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I know it's lighter then the Acadia. I was racing the neighbor back to the house in his back 40 not on the road and he couldn't catch back up and was falling back. So his extra 8 HP with his dual exhaust was of no use he he.. To be fair though he has an 2008 mines a 2010 with direct injection. Even he can tell the response in the Traverse is better.

But i will say his wife wants to replace their Acadia with a Traverse now so it is appealing to the girls.

So they may say the Acadia is more sporty but I know which one is.

I actually don't have much preference to boxy front's but I did like the Traverse over the Acadia.

The Acadia also didn't have the direct injection when I was looking. They started to show up on the lots with it a short time after we bought.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I remember seeing a spot on some automotive show where the person who was responsible for the interior design of the Traverse was interviewed. The designer was a SHE and mentioned holding meetings with groups of women to help decide what features were most desirable.

The main reason I chose the Traverse over the Acadia wsa a slight price advantage and that I don't like red dash lighting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Re: "Sporty" design rant

Bayner66 said:
The main reason I chose the Traverse over the Acadia wsa a slight price advantage and that I don't like red dash lighting.
Didn't realize the Acadia had red dash lights. I would hate that. Dash lights should only be red/yellow/orange when they indicate a malfunction or warning, IMHO.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Matno said:
Didn't realize the Acadia had red dash lights. I would hate that. Dash lights should only be red/yellow/orange when they indicate a malfunction or warning, IMHO.
I love those dash lights! ;D

I am colour blind and sometimes have a hard time seeing the needles in the Traverse.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Matno said:
Red has been PROVEN to be better for you eyes at night. Red light doesn't dialate the pupils, as green, yellow, or white do.

I wish every car had the option for red dash lights. Once you have one with them, you don't want anything else.

Long live PONTIAC.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
personally i love the look of the traverse and thinks it looks great it is sporty to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally, I don't see the Acadia as sportier than the traverse, but styling is subjective. I like the Styling of the Enclave the best (in top level trim). To me the Traverse is second, but the reason why we got it was the difference in price. The Acadia (and Outlook) were a distant 3rd (and 4th) in our opinion..behind the Enclave and Traverse.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts

GXPWeasel said:
Red has been PROVEN to be better for you eyes at night. Red light doesn't dialate the pupils, as green, yellow, or white do.

I wish every car had the option for red dash lights. Once you have one with them, you don't want anything else.

Long live PONTIAC.
Had a Pontiac Grand AM, with the red dash lights...wasn't my thing. I didn't mind it, and I know that its supposed to be easier on the eyes, but I really do like the colour the Traverse has as far as dash lights. And I like multicolour, ie white and blue/green like the Traverse, or purple and red like VW has.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

GXPWeasel said:
Anyone know where I can get a set of red headlamp bulbs?
;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts