Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a Traverse key blank, properly cut, open the doors OK if you don't get it programmed to start the ignition? :help:

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Most likely, YES...they key will unlock the doors. Problem is, it will not disarm the theft deterrent system. Meaning, if you lock your doors with the autolock button, or the fob, the alarm is set. If you don't use the fob to unlock the vehicle the theft system goes into pre-alarm mode (horn chirping). I would assume you need a programmed key to disarm the alarm via the ignition.

Regards,

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) Quantum is correct I have a spare key for one of my other GM vehicles and this is how it works. It will not start the vehicle but you can unlock the doors. If you locked the doors with the remote and unlock it with the key the alarm will sound until you put a programmed key in the ignition and turn it. I simply use this key for a back up in the case I locked the keys in the vehicle because I no longer have On Star on the vehicle.

·
Registered
860 Posts
+1 on what these people are saying. I've heard it called a valet key. It's only good for getting into the car, not starting it. And it's alot less expensive than a programmed ignition key. We need to get a couple of these.

Too bad we didn't have the "valet" function like the 90-95 ZR1 Corvettes have--leave in valet mode for 250 HP and turn to "full" mode for Trailblazer SS-type power. VROOM-VROOM!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VB - LTZ said:
:) I simply use this key for a back up in the case I locked the keys in the vehicle because I no longer have On Star on the vehicle.
That was my plan, to use one as a valet key I could hide in a magnetic box just in case I locked the key fob in the car along with my cell phone (couldn't call On Star.) I have seen the key blanks for about $15 on ebay. Expensive for a key blank but I don't know how much programing would cost. Just getting into the vehicle in an emergency would be my goal. Thanks for all the responses. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts