Traverse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want a good test on the 2018 Traverse please go to Caranddriver.com for the most updated Traverse reviews and full comparaison with other SUV's in the same class. Very interesting and impressing.

Reactions: Laulau33

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
"With its all-new-for-2018 redesign, Chevrolet addressed what might have been the Traverse’s biggest negative: its minivan-esque appearance. The new Traverse is square-jawed and trucklike and loses none of its usefulness in the makeover."

CLEARLY written by a man. We got our first Traverse (OK, the 2nd one, too) over an Acadia because my wife did NOT want anything "trucklike."

Given the number of women I see driving Traverses and Enclaves, I'm guessing GM has just disappointed about 50% of their clientele.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Agree. Newer models now no matter the make dont seem to care anymore about airflow frontal shape.

·
Registered
223 Posts
"With its all-new-for-2018 redesign, Chevrolet addressed what might have been the Traverse’s biggest negative: its minivan-esque appearance. The new Traverse is square-jawed and trucklike and loses none of its usefulness in the makeover."

CLEARLY written by a man. We got our first Traverse (OK, the 2nd one, too) over an Acadia because my wife did NOT want anything "trucklike."

Given the number of women I see driving Traverses and Enclaves, I'm guessing GM has just disappointed about 50% of their clientele.

My wife likes the look over the mini van look. So each person has their own opinion. Designs will never please all. IMO the new design does attract to a larger audience. I have had nothing but complements on the look of ours.

As a side note the wife would never have gone for the 2017 that’s why we had an Acadia...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Agree. Newer models now no matter the make dont seem to care anymore about airflow frontal shape.
May not have cared too much about frontal air flow older gens including pre '18 Traverse designs. GM definitely made changes in the newer generations of their models besides keeping the curved nose designs.......my new gens '16 Malibu 2.0T and '18 Traverse both contain motorized temperature and speed controlled "aero shutters" behind their grilles which rotate closed at higher speeds and redirect un-needed air flow toward the sides of the vehicle instead of into the drag causing engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait in about 6-7 years. All the manufacturers will return back to sloped hoods, sloped grilles and windshields. The fashion changes all the time with the years. This squared frontals started with Mitsubishi followed by Mazda and now all the manufactures are in the same boats. Reminds me the thick black glasses frames from the early 6i0's that was the high fashion those years and now are back now specially with the young generation.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I sure hope the GM designers don't lose their french curves, like they seem to have done back in the 1980's and 90's. Everything done with a straight edge. Cadillac still hasn't found theirs, I don't think.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Wait in about 6-7 years. All the manufacturers will return back to sloped hoods, sloped grilles and windshields. The fashion changes all the time with the years. This squared frontals started with Mitsubishi followed by Mazda and now all the manufactures are in the same boats. Reminds me the thick black glasses frames from the early 6i0's that was the high fashion those years and now are back now specially with the young generation.
Sloped hoods were not brought about by fashion, manufacturers couldn't slope hoods before the 80's....likely wanted to but weren't able to do it before then. Before the 80's you had long stroke inline 6s, bulky iron V8s with carbs and top mounted air cleaners, control arms instead of struts RWD with a high body tunnel to accommodate all that bulk plus the inline tranny and driveshaft which needed height to accommodate the engines. That plus the requirement for large sealed beams instead of slender headlight pods containing peanut sized halogens made sloping hoods impossible.

Once manufacturers went to tiny engines in front drive cars, electronic controlled transaxles instead of bulky all mechanical trannys and eliminated the DOT sealed beam requirements manufacturers could now design more aerodynamic styling.

Then ever increasing CAFE standards and more importantly vehicle crash standards required changing designs again to fit all that extra crap, air pumps, convertors, Helmholtz resonators etc. under the hood and square larger surface area fronts,standard height bumpers to meet 5 mph no damage impact, provide under-ride capability, and extra strength in the Federal tests. Then along came air bags and crushable front ends that reduce the vehicle to a pile of garbage in a relative low speed collision. So time for more aerodynamic shapes again....except for those vehicles with too much larger engines and crap under the hood limiting their ability to reduce height and still meet all other Federal requirements.

Now, just like the 70s, if you pop the hood on a new Traverse and look down.......so much crap you can't see the pavement below - so just how do you suppose a manufacturer can squash all that crap to make a lower profile hood and still have a vehicle that runs correctly, with comfortable seating and interior passenger room, and still fit a large volume of cargo. Case in point - friend had a '74 Pontiac couldn't slope the hood because of the 389 V8 and large sealed beams, but did a good job on sloping the shallow trunk which could barely fit a box of doughnuts next to the full size spare tire. Bottom line is all manufacturers would like their vehicle to look sleek like a spaceship, have plenty of power, comfort of a living room, cavernous cargo space and ride like a magic carpet for a price everyone can afford......laws of Physics and NHTSA and EPA make that impossible. I don't think you'll see any low sloped aerodynamically shaped Silverado, Suburban, F10, Expedition, Durango, or Ram anytime this century. Many designs are not sleek/sloped because they want it that way, likely because they physically can't and best options are to try other aerodynamic kludges like computerized grille shutters.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wonder how the fancy "aero shutters" are going to perform in the winter when slush and snow freeze them open or shut? One more gimmick to get recalled. Remember the heated windshield washer fluid systems of the early Lambda' and how after a couple fires GM sent checks to original owners in order to disconnect the systems?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Tomcat. Do you remember the Studebaker 1953 and the Citroen ID/ DS models from the 50's and the french Dyna Panhard. Sloped hoods to make the vehicules aerodynamic were born long time ago way before the 1980's. And they were able to install a V8 under the hood. The Studebaker was one of the most aerodynamic on the road compared to most other cars . Even in 1934 Chrysler started to work on aerodynamic with their Chrysler Airflow.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Tomcat. Do you remember the Studebaker 1953 and the Citroen ID/ DS models from the 50's and the french Dyna Panhard. Sloped hoods to make the vehicules aerodynamic were born long time ago way before the 1980's. And they were able to install a V8 under the hood. The Studebaker was one of the most aerodynamic on the road compared to most other cars . Even in 1934 Chrysler started to work on aerodynamic with their Chrysler Airflow.
A nice car - one of my neighbors had one around that year I believe it had a Chevy engine with a mechanical tachymeter. The whole hood didn't slope only the two ends of the hood sloped but the center was high and wide to accommodate the height of the engine/carb/air cleaner and both front fenders were high and wide to accommodate the large sealed beams. It was a good looking vehicle but with the high wide fenders, high center of the hood large wide grille and a standard sloped windshield, it was hardly what would be considered a modern aerodynamic design.

Early 50s Fords had a similar setup. Plus they were RWD so a limited amount of crap under the hood with no transaxle. Same era Fiats were FWD and had front ends shaped like boxes.

These were not aerodynamic they just looked like they were......nothing more than vain attempts to smooth out surfaces with the thought that it would facilitate airflow and reduce drag. They had no true concept of aerodynamics necessary to achieve better mileage only what looks like it works....a 1934 Chrysler/DeSoto? - in that era they were flying biplanes with drag causing struts and bailing wire holding the wings together and large wide radial engines. The concept of aerodynamics doesn't always translate to a straight smooth shape. Mid 50s era Lockheed F104 Starfighters had sleek smooth tapered fuselage shaped like a needle similar to Chuck Yaeger's Bell X1.....looked great but couldn't hit supersonic speeds........extensive wind tunnel testing showed that the smooth surface actually needed a sharp indent behind the wings breaking the smooth sloping surface... looked like it would disrupt airflow and increase drag; however, this modification actually increased the aerodynamic profile and achieve supersonic speeds.

Regardless of how they look, modern vehicles have been designed to provide the most aerodynamic profile possible given withing the constraints of how the vehicle is designed to operate.....if for nothing else to achieve CAFE standards. Doubt the 30s Chryslers, or 50s Studebakers or Citroens could break 15 mpg. Case in point that smooth bodies of that era had nothing to do with aerodynamics or saving gas is the 50s Citroen CV2 deux chevaux which was far from aerodynamic shaped more like a hunchbacked brick, but how much gas can a 2 hp engine burn?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I wonder how the fancy "aero shutters" are going to perform in the winter when slush and snow freeze them open or shut? One more gimmick to get recalled. Remember the heated windshield washer fluid systems of the early Lambda' and how after a couple fires GM sent checks to original owners in order to disconnect the systems?
My '16 Malibu's been through 2 Winters and run through a few snowstorms with no shutter problems. Shutters cycle during driving being open at low speeds and close at higher speeds. If they fail, they fail open, same as not having them.
Q What is directly behind the shutters?
A. A radiator running 210 deg F coolant an inch or so from the shutters and a heated engine compartment......so no problem with freeze up.

Had the heated windshield washer on my '07 Avalanche.....best thing since intermittent windshield wipers. Problem was with the subcontractor's design which used a switching transistor instead of a relay to positively disconnect battery power when the ignition was off. GM gave owners $100 and removed the unit but leaving the wiring/connectors. Aftermarket firm made a direct replacement for $60 designed properly, 10 minute install and it worked using the factory switch and integral timer. Many Avalanche board members retrofitted with no problems. I miss that feature every Winter.

Not only fires - OnStar remote access scares me - I still have the last two vehicles I traded in the MyChevrolet app (in addition to my current three) with access to their keylocks and auto start. Using my cellphone started the engine and opened the doors on my recently traded Traverse still sitting in the dealer's lot - what if I accidentally auto started one stored in a new buyer's garage?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You mentionned the 2 cv Citroen and this is the car I always wanted in my life but it never happened. There were some Charleston models that were imported and rebuilt in Toronto for resale but I never got a chance to grab one. It it too late now.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You mentionned the 2 cv Citroen and this is the car I always wanted in my life but it never happened. There were some Charleston models that were imported and rebuilt in Toronto for resale but I never got a chance to grab one. It it too late now.
No offense intended, but when I'm thinking new car....my next to last choice would be a Yugo....and the last would be:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I cannot wait to see the disaster the winter salt will do to these grill shutters on the hinges etc where the salt is spread sometimes foolishly.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boy this is my favorite car A citroen 2cv Charleston

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Follow up of your tread. You may have a hard time to find a Citroen 2 cv specially the previous models before the Charleston. I never liked the colours on the Charleston but the models 2cv6 were more attractives. You know french cars were quite ahead of cars built almost everywhere with Germany regarding technology. Citroen had the 11cv in 1934 and it was a front wheel drive. Myself I have owned a few french cars like a Renault Dauphine 1961 that I rebuilt because the rust was eating it alive. Also I had a beautifull Simca Aronde P60 1963 quite a beauty. In the family we had a french Dyna Panhard quite a car the size of a today compact car that could carry 6 passagers at 85 mph with only a 2 cylinder air cooled engine. Car had the hood, doors, and trunk made of aluminum. The big problems during these years was the rust because these imported cars were not made to venture in the salt. In a matter of one year the Lada's were already rusting like crazy. It was not much better with American cars that had their fair share of rust also. Remember the Maverick/ Comet how fast they were turning into rust buckets. The only car that was quite good on the rust was the Chevy Chevette and we still see some on the roads in pretty good condition today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts