Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife went out grocery shopping today, when she came back there was a note on the windshield. "Sorry I hit your bumper, my name is _________ and my number is ___________.

Well it was nice of her to leave her name and number. Looks like I need a new rear bumper and new licence plate light.

The car is only 7 weeks old! Oh well. At least it was only the plastic bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
wow... the good thing- is that you may be able to get $$$ and order if from GMpartsdirect.com then install it....
no need to paint- since its grey!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
$144.83 is the price there (w/reverse sensor) w/single exhaust.

(shipping extra- $119.36).

total $264.19.

You should see how hard it is to remove bumper- then see if your local dealer can order the part- cheaper than above...

OR - just have them pay you-- and you get bodyshop to do it.

OR

leave it as is... try to form the cover back to its shape--- and buy a new license plate lamp $33.22

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to take it to the GM body shop tomorrow and get an estimate. I want it to be replaced. If I did it myself, I would probably look for a cheaper fix, but really, it wasn't my fault.

I let you know what the damage ($) is.

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally, I would either ask them for
a) $500.00 cash.
b) To pay the body shop direct
c) Get a police report and go through their insurance.

In that order of preference. I highly doubt a body shop will give you a price quote of cheaper than $500.00. But for $500 I would buy the part myself and self install it and keep the change for your own inconvenience. It's probably just a series of nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The person who hit you must have not had parking sensors. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
865 Posts
...or the sensors weren't working as when ours are really dirty and shut off.

This can't be a complicated repair. I would bet the dealer would print off an assembly schematic and even let you look at the service manual to see how to do all this. It's worth a shot.

I hope you get your Traverse looking new soon. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The girl wants to go through her insurance. She was driving a company car at the time, full of students apparently. Anyways, so now the insurance is dealing with it. Going out this afternoon for an estimate at the local GM dealer. Apparently its an approved repair facility according to the insurance company.

Mark

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
let us know the price. Curious to see the markup on all this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should also be happy she left a note! Some people are not as honest. Hit and run and then you have an insurance claim with a deductible. whew.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rear bumper cover - $364
R. licence plate lamp - $111
L. licence plate lamp - $111
Labour - $150

Plus tax - $833 and change.

Not too bad, the lamps seem like a bit of a rip off. Oh well. Hopefully the parts will be in next week.

*Prices in CDN dollars (about $0.95 to a US$1)

·
Registered
248 Posts
;) That’s terrible that you got hit but the two good things the person didn’t just take off & no paint damage. I hate if the paint doesn’t match right. I pretty sure when it’s all repaired you won’t be able to were there was any damage.

8) Steve

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
man look at those prices. $111 for the lamps.... geez. didnt I post above that theyre $32 I think.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You wrote "reverse lamp". Is that the licence plate lamp? Then ya, you wrote $33! Big difference!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
thanks for catching that. Ive corrected it.. it should be license plate light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts