Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a difficult time in finding/deciding on what snow tires to get. Looking for opinions/experiences you have had thus far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Hello sort of a related topic but up here in the NW I have a AWD 2LT Traverse with the stock 255/65/18 Goodyear Forteras. I'm planning on keeping them on for this winter for ski season.

In WA state if it says chains only over the mountain passes, AWD and 4WD are allowed to go w/o chains. However if you aren't carrying chains and get into a wreck, it's a major fine.

So over at the Acadia forum, people have been buying these super low profile chains (since very little clearance) and slapping them on the front wheels. I plan on picking up a set for this winter.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction Pages/Trac_SZ6.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
I have an 09 Traverse with OEM Good Year Fortera P255/65R18 109S. Calling around today and one Chevy dealership has a few sets on hand pre built with steel rims and tire pressure sensors. They are packaged in a 255/70/17 which he says will not affect the speedometer or the abs/traction systems. They are Michelin Xice Lattitude for $1540.00 + taxes installed.

Comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
copperbeech said:
I have an 09 Traverse with OEM Good Year Fortera P255/65R18 109S. Calling around today and one Chevy dealership has a few sets on hand pre built with steel rims and tire pressure sensors. They are packaged in a 255/70/17 which he says will not affect the speedometer or the abs/traction systems. They are Michelin Xice Lattitude for $1540.00 + taxes installed.

Comments?
Try this webpage:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I am told that conventional wisdom says that the tires should be within 3% of each other, I am not sure why. This would put you ever so slightly over that value. Is that important? I am not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Stock:

09 Traverse LTZ AWD
20" OEM wheels
255/55R20 107H Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza M+S
Sidewall: 5.5in
Radius: 15.5in
Diameter: 31.0in
Circumf: 97.5in
Revs/mi: 650.0

Here's what I've gone with;
TPMS sensors from GM Dealership - $47 each
17" steel rims from the LS model - $95 each
245/70R17 110Q General Altimax Arctic - $194 each
Note: I went with the P model, versus the LT model. P model has 12/32 tread, LT has 16/32 tread. P is passenger, LT is light truck. LT had harsher ride.
Sidewall: 6.8in (a lot of rubber)
Radius: 15.3in
Diameter: 30.5in
Circumf: 95.8in
Revs/mi: 661.0

Effects;
1) Slightly narrower tire
2) Speedo reading with non-stock tire is 1.7% too fast. When your speedo reads 60mph, you are actually travelling 59.0mph
3) Steel rim is REALLY close to the brake calipers
4) Q-rated winter (99mph / 160km/h) versus H-rated stock (130mph / 210km/h) - both of which are higher than any "norm" highway speed in Ontario.
5) Higher load index on the winters

Why:
1) Live north of Toronto & travel to Muskoka in the winter
2) Keeps the "soft" stock 20"s for summer, so that they last longer
3) I consider winter tires part of insurance cost - I can pay for winter tires, or I can pay a tow truck if I get stuck, or I can pay for repairs instead of claiming through insurance if I slide off the road (and "pay" to take the time off work as well).
4) And most importantly - save the 20" wheels from the salt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Double K said:
Why:
1) Live north of Toronto & travel to Muskoka in the winter
Then you are all ready for this winter as know Ontario cottage country got over 60 cm (25 inches) of snow this past week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
It's that time again!

I have a 2010 2LT AWD with the P255/65R18's.

From reading the above I figure that I am going to have to buy TPMS sensors for each wheel in order to keep the pressure monitoring system happy. I'm told that the new sensors will not work with the car’s TPMS until the system is recalibrated to communicate with them. Is this true? Is this something the tire installer can do or am I going to have to visit the dealer? What about when I go back to my OEM tires/rims in the spring - am I going to have to recalibrate again?

I've checked with Costco (Canada) and they claim to have the TPMS sensor from the Acadia for $38 CAD and I can get 17" black steel rims for about $50. Then I can get a P255/70R17 tire that brings my O.D. of the wheel to exactly the O.D. of my oem P255/65R18's.

Have I got this figured through?

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Don't get me wrong or think I'm making fun of you guys, but this is fascinating to read about buying snow tires because it's something that many of us never encounter given that we live in the sunbelt. I live in North Texas and, despite us getting a 12" accumulation in one day last winter, we typically don't have any snow here.

I think it's possible to buy snow tires in Texas, but you have to dust them off first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
i live in the Adirondacks on NY and i would never bother with snowtires on an AWD. I just don't think it's necessary. Do you get better grip? Probably, but the all-seasons with AWD and TC provide more than enough traction for everyday driving even in the worst snowstorm.

JMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Carl_NDelta said:
It's that time again!

Then I can get a P255/70R17 tire that brings my O.D. of the wheel to exactly the O.D. of my oem P255/65R18's.
Yup the 255/ 70R17 are about 1% faster, depending on the tire manufacture O.D. ,at least thats what the Michelin Latitude Ice tire 255/70R17 measure.
I'm interested in these tires only if Alberta has alot of snow, the stock goodyears look like they should do a great job for the first winter .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Carl_NDelta said:
From reading the above I figure that I am going to have to buy TPMS sensors for each wheel in order to keep the pressure monitoring system happy. I'm told that the new sensors will not work with the car’s TPMS until the system is recalibrated to communicate with them. Is this true? Is this something the tire installer can do or am I going to have to visit the dealer? What about when I go back to my OEM tires/rims in the spring - am I going to have to recalibrate again?

I've checked with Costco (Canada) and they claim to have the TPMS sensor from the Acadia for $38 CAD and I can get 17" black steel rims for about $50. Then I can get a P255/70R17 tire that brings my O.D. of the wheel to exactly the O.D. of my oem P255/65R18's.

Have I got this figured through?
I can only comment on my experience with my 08 Enclave. I bought a second set of OEM rims off of the Enclave forum. When I put them on in the fall all I had to do was go through the process called out in the owners manual to have it learn the new sensors. I can swap freely between the two sets just by doing the air in/air out process in the manual. I did not have to go to the dealer. I can not comment on aftermarket sensors if that is what you end up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Has anyone looked at the Blissak BM-V1 tire for the winter , 255 65 R18.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
I had the 20" Bridgestones siped right after we got ours. They worked surprisingly well in the ice and snow. We even got home in a blizzard back in March. Our Traverse didn't hiccup once while driving in a safe and sane manner.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top