Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOMEONE MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM THAT THEY WERE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR TRANSMISSION CHANGING SMOOTHLY. THEY TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER AND THEY REPROGRAMMED THE COMPUTER. I'M LOOKING FOR MORE FEED BACK ABOUT THIS ISSUE. IS IT ME OR DOES THE TRANNY SOMETIMES FEEL LIKE IT CAN'T MAKE UP ITS MIND WHAT GEAR IT WANTS TO BE IN ESPECIALLY IN THE LOWER GEARS.

WATCHING THE RPMS THE NEEDLE GOES UP AND DOWN QUITE ALOT AND AT TIMES I'M SURE I CAN FEEL A THUD OR WOBBLE WHEN ITS DECIDING WHAT GEAR IT NEEDS TO BE IN. DOES THIS UPDATE SOLVE THESE ISSUES.

I ASKED MY DEALER THIS ABOUT, BUT THEY WEREN'T VERY INTERESTED ABOUT WHAT I HAD READ ON THIS FORUM AS THEY SAID MOST FORUMS ARE FULL OF INACCURATE OR USELESS INFORMATION ( YA THE GUYS AN IDIOT WHAT A WAY TO START RELATIONSHIP WITH A NEW CUSTOMER).

COMMENTS?

·
Registered
34 Posts
campsite1 said:
SOMEONE MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM THAT THEY WERE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR TRANSMISSION CHANGING SMOOTHLY. THEY TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER AND THEY REPROGRAMMED THE COMPUTER. I'M LOOKING FOR MORE FEED BACK ABOUT THIS ISSUE. IS IT ME OR DOES THE TRANNY SOMETIMES FEEL LIKE IT CAN'T MAKE UP ITS MIND WHAT GEAR IT WANTS TO BE IN ESPECIALLY IN THE LOWER GEARS.

WATCHING THE RPMS THE NEEDLE GOES UP AND DOWN QUITE ALOT AND AT TIMES I'M SURE I CAN FEEL A THUD OR WOBBLE WHEN ITS DECIDING WHAT GEAR IT NEEDS TO BE IN. DOES THIS UPDATE SOLVE THESE ISSUES.

I ASKED MY DEALER THIS ABOUT, BUT THEY WEREN'T VERY INTERESTED ABOUT WHAT I HAD READ ON THIS FORUM AS THEY SAID MOST FORUMS ARE FULL OF INACCURATE OR USELESS INFORMATION ( YA THE GUYS AN IDIOT WHAT A WAY TO START RELATIONSHIP WITH A NEW CUSTOMER).

COMMENTS?
I have found at times it is hesitant to shift especially under light acceleration. It doesn't seem to shift up and down but just doesn't want to down shift unless you press down harder on the accelerator. I don't find it really annoying and think it is the way it is. Hard to tell if there is really a problem based on a lot of comments on the trans on this forum..I think if you live in a hilly part of the country, that might be a problem. Were I live is flat a a desert! I would take it back to the dealer and see if it improves with a new software flash.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
seen many post on enthusiast forums where the problem wasnt diagnosed by the dealer-- yet the collective minds of the enthusiast knew what the problem was.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm figuring that if you are like me and used to only maybe a 4 gear transmission that 6 gears just takes getting used to.

Some here have argued that 6 gears saves gas. But, then I read about some GM 6 speed manuals having a forced shift from 1st to 4th under light accelleration TO SAVE GAS!!! I'm starting to think more and more that 6 gears is just a sales tactic, and really not that useful.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I believe that itsthe corvettes that have that 1 to 4 shift for light driving.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
campsite1 said:

COMMENTS?
Here's my 2 cents on the tranny. It does have 6 speeds, so there are more "selections" for the tranny and computer to make. Yes, I agree, there seems to be more upshifting and downshifting going on ..... but there are 6 speeds, not 4. The 6 speed should provide a more "precise" sweet spot where to run, at any given road condition. That should translate into better fuel economy. Looking at the dealer "invoice sheet" I believe it shows the Traverse weighing in over 4500 lbs, not a lightweight.

It has been my experience to leave items alone, if possible, rather than having the GM techs do this or do that, when in fact, they are chasing a ghost when there really is no problem.

I had a 2002 4x4 TrailBlazer before this Traverse, the difference is like night and day with the technology, the whistles and bells..... just a new breed on the block.

The Traverse and its' 6 speed will take "getting used to", at least for me.

Bob

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, I sometimes find the shift from 2 to 3 is a bit rough. Not sure if it's me or the Traverse. Could be me, but I do try to not be very rough on my Traverse.

But, recently I was traveling up an incline which expectedly held the transmission in a lower gear while I climbed the incline, going about 35 mph. Now, the weird part was once I crested the hill and started down the other side, the transmission still stayed in the same gear. The RPMs were at around 4500 while climbing the hill, and once I reached the top I started to pick up speed as normal. I held the throttle at the same position which would normally have allowed the transmission to upshift as I gained speed, but it held. Once I was at 6000 RPM, and now moving downhill I decided to take action and let off the gas pedal. Strangely enough, it still stayed in the same gear. I pushed the pedal again, same gear. So I decided to punch the pedal to the floor (old habit from a very old pickup with shift sensor from the gas pedal to the tranny to help it with downshifting, it needed a little help every now and then...) this time when I let up on the pedal it finally up shifted. Very odd. Only time it's occurred, and hopefully the last time I experience that. That experience does coincide with the conversation here, so that's why I posted this.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Read the posts under "transmission slips out of gear". It's there you'll find info about the "descent control", which is what you experienced, I believe.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts