Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the temps. have fallen I'm getting a little smoke in the morning when I start the Traverse. It happened the last couple of days when the temps. have been in the 20s. I'll start the car and walk to the back where I find a blue/black smoke from the exhaust with a heavy odor of gas. Has anyone else had this happen? It will clear up in 20 or 30 seconds.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
since youre in the 20's... i wonder of the computer runs the engine very very rich- and you get lots of fuel being dumped into the cylinders... and you end up with the gas smell?

But dont they say blue smoke is oil?

Are you noticing any oil usage?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
Since the temps. have fallen I'm getting a little smoke in the morning when I start the Traverse. It happened the last couple of days when the temps. have been in the 20s. I'll start the car and walk to the back where I find a blue/black smoke from the exhaust with a heavy odor of gas. Has anyone else had this happen? It will clear up in 20 or 30 seconds.
If a car is going to burn oil, outside temps are not going to affect it.

In all probability, your computer sensor is allowing a richer load of fuel to be distributed, based on the colder temps. Don't think you have an oil burner.

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dipstick level hasn't moved at all since the last oil change, about 2700 mi ago. The smoke has like a hint of blue but has a strong gas odor. I'm going to call for an appt. tomorrow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine has done the same thing since we got it. Just seems to be the cold start settings on the fuel system. Never had any oil consumption issues with 8K on ours.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an appt. tomorrow, will let everyone know the outcome. Also, just an FYI, I found one of my roof rails loose (the front to back one not the cross rail) so you might want to give it a tug to see if its tight.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the dealership this morning. They said what I'm seeing is typical for the DI engine. It uses more fuel on the colder days on the initial startup they said. But the smoke and fuel odor should clear up in a matter of seconds which it does.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
probably the same reason that the DI exhaust are always sooty black--- (on those with the dual exhaust- where you can see the mufflers)...

thanks for the update....

what they do about your roof rail?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The roof rail is designed to float. They showed me the bolts were tight but the rail is slotted so the rail can expand and contract. They said without this movement the roof rail might warp. They had a 2010 being prepped in the shop and it was the same way on both sides.

·
Registered
551 Posts
rbarrios said:
probably the same reason that the DI exhaust are always sooty black--- (on those with the dual exhaust- where you can see the mufflers)...
I gave up on cleaning them, they are powder coated black! :happy:

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
the newer 2010's - now come without the roof rails... well I think the black part is there-- but something within them is not-- and you specifically have to order the cross bars and the channels or something to make them work...

whereas 2009 and early 2010's (like mine)- you only had to order the cross bars-- as the channels were present.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This dealership had 7 Traverses and they all had the black rail just no cross bars. They must have changed something in the channels like you said.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
probably the same reason that the DI exhaust are always sooty black
Yesterday I changed the oil and was able to take a good picture showing the soot buildup on the end of the exhaust *and* on the muffler below at the small hole which allows for condensation to drain. In the good weather I have cleaned it off but of course it always returns.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
wow... look at that muffler pipe...
man... salt gets to it fast

·
Registered
139 Posts
copperbeech said:
Yesterday I changed the oil and was able to take a good picture showing the soot buildup on the end of the exhaust *and* on the muffler below at the small hole which allows for condensation to drain. In the good weather I have cleaned it off but of course it always returns.
Yep, same here for the soot and salt :angryfire:. Roberto, we can send you some road salt that you can add water to and you can spash it up onto and under your clean Traverse if you would like :D ;D JK

:eek:fftopic: but, copperbeech looking at the tire in you pic, it almost looks whipped, how many miles are on them and how often do you rotate? I waited until 8,600 to rotate and now I could swear that the rear tires are wearing faster than the fronts ??? I'm at 16K now and by the way it looks Il'll never have to rotate again because the tires all the way around are at 60% +/- for the fronts and 50% for the rears and I dont know if they'll make 25K. They are wearing evenly (no cupping or anything). I am truley dissapointed in the Froteras :mad:. I hope there is a great tire out when I'm ready to replace or I really would like to find a set of take off 20's from a 2010 OUTLOOK and go that route.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My exhaust tip looks the same way. I don't have as much on the bottom of the muffler probably because we do more highway driving. The underside looks the same as well. Later this week we will be in the 60s so I'm going under the car with the pressure washer and getting all of the salt and junk off. You would be amazed at how much stuff you can flush out. I just started the car yesterday for my wife, it was 13 degrees, had smoke and the smell of raw fuel. The dealership says its normal due to the DI cycles. But I did notice it more in the cold temps.

·
Registered
994 Posts
6Sixathome said:
Yep, same here for the soot and salt :angryfire:. Roberto, we can send you some road salt that you can add water to and you can spash it up onto and under your clean Traverse if you would like :D ;D JK

:eek:fftopic: but, copperbeech looking at the tire in you pic, it almost looks whipped, how many miles are on them and how often do you rotate?
Thanks for the note but the first rotation (by the dealer) was in very early September 09 with approximately 6k miles on them and the car. As of today I have gone around another 7k miles and 7 months since that September rotation. I guess I will rotate sometime this spring but a rotation every 6k or 7k miles seems like pretty good proactive tire maintenance ???.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
My exhaust tip looks the same way. I don't have as much on the bottom of the muffler probably because we do more highway driving. The underside looks the same as well. Later this week we will be in the 60s so I'm going under the car with the pressure washer and getting all of the salt and junk off. You would be amazed at how much stuff you can flush out. I just started the car yesterday for my wife, it was 13 degrees, had smoke and the smell of raw fuel. The dealership says its normal due to the DI cycles. But I did notice it more in the cold temps.
The colder the temps, the richer the mixture on initial startup. The colder the temps, the more condensation ( white smoke ) out the tailpipe.

Bob

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
copperbeech said:
I was surprissed at the exhaust pipe- I thought the new pipes withstood the salts better.
Your Trav must have about 14,000?
I didnt know they turned like that sooo fast...

I just went outside and snapped a pic of mine. Im about to hit 10,000. California Driven.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts