Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife will run the Traverse for 5 to 10 min in the morning. After driving for another 15 min and probably about 6 or 7 miles the car just starts to get heat. We could drive around locally for 30 min and the temp gauge won't touch 210 degrees. On the highway it does a little better on the warm up but not much. Anyone else slow to get heat?

·
Registered
71 Posts
kawazar,

Think the warm up would depend on the outside temperature. We drove to church yesterday morning. The garage temp was 35 degrees F. As we drove down the street, the DIC temp dropped to 4 degrees above zero F. Our trip to church is roughly 4-5 miles and she never got fully warmed to the 210 degree operating temp gauge. She was throwing heat out though (about 2 miles into the drive...not hot but warm). Thankfully the seat warmers aided in our colder drive :happy:

As we drove around after church (8-10 miles) without stopping, she did reach the 210 normal operating range on the gauge and we were toasty!

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Kawazar-- what was your outside temp?

If its not too cold- then maybe you have a thermostat that has failed in the open position?
But from the news last night- it appears most of the country is freezing----
while here in Los Angeles- my morning drive was I think 58 degrees-- and todays high will be about 80.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yesterday, the temp was +34 degrees. Went about a block from the house, the heater kicked in, and by 1/2 mile, the temp was in the vehicles operating range, and the heater was really working well. Had the inside temp set to 72 on my side and 74 on the pass side.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's been around 0 F/17 C here lately, and I was wondering if it was a bit slow heating up too. Could it be that I'm just used to an eight cylinder? Does an 8 heat up faster than a 6?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was cold, in the teens to the 20's. It just seems to take a long time and multiple miles to feel the heat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same here, slow to get heat, I just chalked it up to the size of the interior. (traded in Rendezvous with great heat)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine seems to take a long time to throw any heat as well. It was -5F this morning and it was 7 or 8 miles down the road before there was any real heat flowing. It does kind of act like the thermostat is open when it shouldn't be. Makes me wonder how the thermostats are set up in these vehicles - could this be part of the reason for reports of poor fuel mileage? Maybe they just don't run hot enough.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
It was cold, in the teens to the 20's. It just seems to take a long time and multiple miles to feel the heat.
The colder it is, the longer it takes to reach "comfortable" heat range. In mine, I use the rear heat, as well, to heat up the large interior. I believe it helps.

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We typically don't run the rear heat until it gets to full temp. in hopes that it will warm up faster. If we put the rear heat on prior to the full warm up it just feels like its blowing around cold air.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
one of these days ill have to hookup my OBDII scanner (laptop) and plot the temp data vs time and post it on here...

·
Registered
47 Posts
our water temp comes up quite fast even when it's in the single digits (F) here in NY. The interior heat does take a little while but that's due to the large volume of the vehicle. It blows warm air with a couple of miles of driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine seems to take forever to warm up also. I usually start it and let it idle for a few minutes before leaving work. I have about a 5 mile run home, and barely get half way up to the normal 210. I have to run at freeway speeds for at least 15 minutes to get up to normal operating temp. Granted it's cold here in MN, but my 02 Trailblazer was at full temp in just a mile or 2.

I have got to think that there are some faulty thermostats in some of these.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts