Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has it been posted as to the information one can glean from the VIN of a Traverse?

For example I recall reading that a "V" in a certain position corresponds to the AWD option.

Do we know any others?

·
Registered
113 Posts
copperbeech said:
Has it been posted as to the information one can glean from the VIN of a Traverse?

For example I recall reading that a "V" in a certain position corresponds to the AWD option.

Do we know any others?
I asked the same thing somewhere here, but no answer as of yet

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is some stuff from the Aura and I have attached a 2008 VIN sheet from GM.

Position 1 - Country of Origin - 1, USA
Position 2 - Manufacturer - G, General Motors
Position 3 - Make - 8, Saturn
Position 4 & 5 - Carline/Series - ZZ, Aura
Position 6 - Body Style - 5, Four door sedan S69, V69, R69
Position 7 - Restraint System - 3, Seat, Inflatable, Driver & Passenger, Front & Side, Roof Side
Position 8 - Engine Type - 5 (RPO -LAT - Engine, Gas, 4 cyl, 2.4L, MFI, Alum, DOHC, BAS, ECOTEC), 7 (RPO - LY7 - Engine, Gas, 6 cyl, 3.6L, SFI, V6, Alum, 60 degree, GM), N (RPO - LZ4 - Engine, Gas, 6 cyl, 3.5L, SFI, V6, Offset Bore, GM), - (RPO - HP7 - Hybrid Propulsion, Electric, Parallel, 3KW Continuous Power)
Position 9 - Check Digit
Position 10 - Model Year - 7, 2007
Position 11 - Plant Location - F, Fairfax KS
Position 12-17 - Plant Sequence Number

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
the last digits kinda act like a "born on" dating. Unless they restart by the model year, I think you can tell how old it is, or at least compare it to another Traverse, to see which was made first. Obviously for Traverses, 2009 is the first year. When I was shopping on the Chevy website, and looking for specific Traverses near me, I could compare the VINs to see which ones were newer. Potentially, you could use that to your favor. If it has a lower (older) VIN, it may have been sitting around on the lot longer, and a dealer may be more interested in cutting you a better deal.

Mine is 129546. I know they haven't made that many. Based on my remembrances of numbers when I was looking around, I am speculating they may have started at 100000.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
khansen30 said:
Here is some stuff from the Aura and I have attached a 2008 VIN sheet from GM.

Position 11 - Plant Location - F, Fairfax KS
I had the sales rep email the VIN of my Traverse which is in transit.

For me position 11 gives an S which from the attached file indicates a Mexican plant :eek:. Maybe the plants have been relabelled for 2009? OR maybe my sales rep misread the Z as an S? ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts