Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Has anyone gotten this message and what does it mean?

I did not get a warning light, just that message came up while driving.

Also how do you fix it? Is it like a sensor problem?

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I get that warning, it means that the sensors have a coating of road grime/dirt that is inhibiting the signal. Washing the car clears them for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
electbc--I have experienced that in driving rainstorms as well. However, under those conditions it clears itself shortly after the rain stops and it dries out.

JaviLTZ--I'm not sure of the sensor location or the electronics associated. My experience (other than in driving rain, as noted above) has been that a layer of road grime/salt/splashed mud has caused it for me; washing and eliminating those conditions from the exterior quarter panels and bumpers (front and rear), eliminated the issue for me. Hope it works for you as well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well its good to know that GM is aware of at least one possible cause. GM is usually pretty good on their outside electrical connectors being sealed against the elements.
Anybody under Warranty should let GM take care of it.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't believe any of the 1st gen's have park assist, so I'm not so sure that service bulletin applies - it's for 2nd gen's.

Not saying it couldn't be the same issue, but....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this happen on a 2016 Acadia last year and this is a common problem with GMs, BMWs, and other manufacturers that use the same sensors. Don't put it off as I will describe what happend to me within 2 weeks of receiving the message.

At 40k miles I received the "service side detection system" message. Sure enough, two weeks later while driving down the tollway most of the electrical system went out, radio, turn signals, power locks & windows, etc. Then on the DIC I received messages to service TPMS, forward camera, and rear park assist. Got to my destination and backed into a parking spot, having read on another forum while researching this problem that some owners ended up with a car that wouldn't start. Turned the vehicle off and tried starting it again and it started, but a half hour later it was completely dead.

Called the dealer's service department that I normally rely on and the advisor said it's a common problem and told me to call roadside assistance for the tow to get the vehicle in as I was going to drive it there after my stop. Once in the shop, they replaced both sensors at no cost to me as they stated GM has warrantied this problem to 60K miles. Sure enough a week later I received a mailer from GM stating that it's a common problem and they extended the coverage on the sensors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
g8a550--Thanks for your update. I wasn't aware of that severity nor of the extended warranty by GM. Good to know information. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts