Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cars.com just did a "shootout" of $37,000 3-row SUVs. Honda Pilot won. What I don't understand is why the used an LT1 that cost $32,000, then docked it for not having leather, heated seats, USB, power liftgate, etc. For $37,000 they could have had all of those things. Poor comparison.

Interestingly, the family of 4 they used as evaluators had just gone through an extensive shopping process and bought an Enclave!

Also interesting was that they gave the Traverse bonus points for having firmly mounted seatbelts in between the rear seats. I guess what digs into larger adults' hips is also much easier for kids to buckle...

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Funny thing about the seatbelts, my daughter just moved to the 40 split of the third row. The seat belt buckle is so hard to get at, it is flush with the top of the seat. It is near impossible for her to buckle her own seatbelt (she is sitting on a booster seat). I wish the buckles would stick up higher, but I guess then the seat wouldn't fold flat.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes and the companies who pay the largest amount in add space usually win these comparisons.

There are few sources of good un-bias information anymore.

My advice to everyone is just go test drive vehicles as test drives cost nothing and are fun then make up your own opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found it interesting how close the Traverse was to the Pilot and that it beat the 'all new' Explorer and Durango. On the cars.com KickingTires Twitter account (twitter.com/#kickingtires) they were asked if the Traverse would have won if it was an LTZ model and they said probably not (twitter.com/#!/KickingTires/status/125948545944653824). I asked if the interior materials and finish had been better (another complaint) if it had won and they said 'maybe, hard to say' (twitter.com/#!/KickingTires/status/125986925248122881).

Funny thing, Car and Driver just did a large crossover comparo between the Explorer, Durango and Pilot and the Durango won and the Pilot was last. They didn't invite a Lambda because they typically invite the last comparo's winner (pilot) and anything all new or significantly upgraded. Since the Traverse lost to the Pilot, it didn't get an invite. Different media outlets have different standards and I'm sure that for some they can be influenced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pilot looks dated, new Explorer looked interesting, just wary of first year models of major redesigns

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm sick of all of these shows and magazines that seem like they can never pick a winner, unless it's a freakin Honda. It seriously looks like they pay their way to win on those things, because Nobody that I know, loves their Honda that much. Either they like this or that, but never like everything about it. Rare for any car, I agree, but if the general public feels that way, how in the he!! do the Mag's and TV shows keep picking them as winners? Maybe their "test" aren't very realistic. ::)

This is why I only watch one car show anymore, and it's because they give it to you straight, every time. Top Gear my friends. 8)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GXPWeasel said:
Nobody that I know, loves their Honda that much. Either they like this or that, but never like everything about it.
Not my experience at all. I've never owned a Honda, but most of my friends who own them, swear by them and say they wouldn't buy anything else. My sister-in-law RAVES about her Pilot (although it's an older model and she constantly opines that it looks nicer than the newer ones).

Personally, I like the look of the new Pilot, but I could never figure out why so many people hated the front grill. It's been toned down now, but I actually liked it better last year. Granted, I thought the same style looked hideous on the Accord, but it was a good fit for the Pilot. If the Pilot had the same cargo space behind the third row that the Traverse has, and the Traverse's ride quality, I'd choose it in a heartbeat. But it doesn't...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts