Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent figured out how to use the +/- shifting with the traverse... its in drive, Id think I could simply press the button to adjust the shifting, but no luck. Is there a special trick for this? LTZ AWD 2010

·
Registered
105 Posts
It was discussed before in this forum. Try using the "L" gear. I have tried using this from stationary or on the highway when I need to pass very quickly. Once you shifted to "L", the DIC will display what gear you're car is on. I'm sure some of the guys here would clarify more. have fun!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
red426 said:
It was discussed before in this forum. Try using the "L" gear. I have tried using this from stationary or on the highway when I need to pass very quickly. Once you shifted to "L", the DIC will display what gear you're car is on. I'm sure some of the guys here would clarify more. have fun!
Red426 is on the money.. Move the level to "L", it will show on the dash which gear you are now in. Now you can upshift or downshift with the button, creating your automatic into a form of a manual, or limit how high up the trans. will automatically upshift.

Let's say the indicator on the dash is showing "4". That means you can stop, then accelerate, the trans. will shift no higher than "4".

If you want to MANUALLY shift up and/or down, just tap the button. It will not, however, go into a lower gear until speed and or RPM is appropriate. The ECU just doesn't trust drivers 100 %, and for good reason.

Check out your owners manual for a more detailed explanation.

Bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
mine quit working properly, i can go into drive at any speed and it will not allow me to "+" upshift only downshift "-". must be a software issue because it worked before.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
yes basically what was said above.

Also.... when youre on the highway.... lets say cruising along at 55-65 mph...
many comment that they want to pass - step on the gas--- and it seems to take a while to shift or accelerate ... the passing maneuver they wanted to make just didnt feel safe...

the reason is that the vehicle is in 6th-- and practically in overdrive big time...
the easiest thing to do is to shift to L... and then try yout maneuver...
why does this feel better?

because when you put to L at highway speed- it automatically puts you into 4th gear... here your RPMs will go up-- and you have a hgher revving engine--- not only that- youre now in 4th gear--- and any step of the gas - you feel a much more responsive vehicle.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine works perfectly in L as I'm given to understand is the intention.

The strange thing to me is that, as far as I can tell, there is no explanation of the toggle's usage and function in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There is a lot of confusion over this feature. It is not a manual override to the shifting, but rather a simple selection of the highest gear the transmission will go to. In "L" you choose the highest gear, and the transmission will shift as normal, but never go higher than your chosen gear. It's main use was for loads, hauling and bad weather, not to be racy or sporty. In the past, most automatics had a "2" or "L" gear where you set the transmission in this one single gear. Nice in some situations, but not really useful for others. GM upped it just a little by allowing you to choose the gear for the "L" mode.

I use it mostly for the passing aspect. Just shifting from "D" to "L" automatically lowers the transmission one gear. Help provide a more instant boost when needed. I've also towed a boat once, and kept it in "5" so the transmission wouldn't keep hunting gears at higher speeds.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
andylibby said:
Mine works perfectly in L as I'm given to understand is the intention.

The strange thing to me is that, as far as I can tell, there is no explanation of the toggle's usage and function in the owner's manual.

sure there is...
2009 Owners manual- page 2-26. Electronic Range Select- ERS mode.

2010 owners manual- page 9-25/26

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was driving on the highway and shifted into L. It was in 4th gear and, when I got off the highway and came to a stop, it stayed in 4. Should it have gone to 1?

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
No....
Actually- it worked as designed.
When you shifted to L- it automatically put it in 4... you noticed the RPM's go up (engine felt a little more responsive)...
The 4 is displayed on the dash--- this also tell you that while in L---- 4th is the HIGHEST gear you will allow the trans to shift into....
this means that you have available- 1,2,3,4...
As you begin to slow down the trans is shifting to 3, 2, and finally 1 when you came to a stop....BUT the display still shows 4. This is normal.....

if you begin to drive again---and you select 3 with the +/- , thats as high as your trans will go....
if you select 5- same scenario.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
ohhhhh...........

Good to know.

Thanks! ;D

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you are not aware of how it shifts, it can scare you a bit. First time I tried I was not going very fast, so the down shift was rather rough. I thought it had shifted to 1st, but was incorrect. It sure felt like it did down shift that far. So I didn't use it for a long time. The manual was not clear (I think they updated the manual on the 2010 models) and I couldn't find much on the way it worked. I finally shifted at high speeds, and that's when I figured out exactly how it works. When used as designed, it's very handy.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
also- the computer will NOT let it shift to a gear that would cause it to overrev....
if you do select a low gear- it will wait a little-- if you slow down enough- the shift will take place...
if you dont slow down-- it will stay in the gear youre in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
mine upshifts fine w/ the switch but will not downshift for wahtever reason. it used to until one day. i can only think it must be a software issue.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
you can get it to downshift--- up to a certain point (rpm allowing).....

or you saying it wont let you shift down-- even with allowable RPM?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
bowtie said:
mine upshifts fine w/ the switch but will not downshift for wahtever reason. it used to until one day. i can only think it must be a software issue.
Go to a side road when you can cruise at 45 to 50 mph in 6th gear, then, after moving to "L" range on the selector, try to downshift the vehicle with the switch and see if that doesn't work for you. If the speeds and RPM's are too high, it will NOT downshift until the computer knows that the specific downshift will not be fatal.

Bob

·
Registered
761 Posts
Put your car into low gear then you can use it
Zombie thread award for the day goes to...

I'm assuming they either figured it out or have moved on 10 years later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts