Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Traverse just recently started having this issue @ 38,000 miles. I put car in park, then get a warning to "shift to park". I have to jiggle the shifter to get it to engage and clear the warning. Took it into the dealership, they said there is a TSB out on this issue. They want me to pay $500 for the replacement of Shifter Assembly and Harness. I was not happy with this, since it is a common issue, with a faulty part. I was advised to contact Chevy Customer Care - waste of time. Their exact words were your vehicle is out of warranty, therefore we do not cover the repair. But, they'd be happy to sell me an extended warranty! It would not cover this repair, but anything moving forward. Yeah, ok. So if GM is aware of this faulty part on their 2018 Travers, why would they not recall it or at least foot the bill when it does occur? Man, it's been many years since I owned a GM vehicle. I know back in 2000, if there was a TSB on my GMC Jimmy, the dealership fixed the issue at no charge, even with being out of warranty. My vehicle is just past the bumper to bumper warranty, and they still expect me to pay for a known faulty part? I will sell this Traverse back to the dealership in a heartbeat if this is how GM/Chevy handles customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2019. I’ve found that flicking the release button in The shifter will solve the problem. Put it in park. If you get the “shift to park” message, just flick the switch once or twice.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
They should replace this part free of charge even if your car is out of warranty. A recall for this defective part or some sort of extended warranty should be issued.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would hope that GM honor a f-ucked up design flaw...and make good on an in house chuckle head design. I would do what Guitarzan is doing and wait for the recall. GM likes class action lawsuits against them too. I wonder what chuckle head is in charge of letting these simple fixes pay out more...shaking my head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yep had the exact same problem - We have a 2019 Traverse and the issue happened earlier this summer at ~18K mi. The problem was intermittent for several months and jiggling the shifter hard in park seemed to work. However, at some point the problem just went away and we haven't had it come up again. I'm sure it will be back at some point or perhaps we broke the part completely. At the moment though everything works as normal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
yep had the exact same problem - We have a 2019 Traverse and the issue happened earlier this summer at ~18K mi. The problem was intermittent for several months and jiggling the shifter hard in park seemed to work. However, at some point the problem just went away and we haven't had it come up again. I'm sure it will be back at some point or perhaps we broke the part completely. At the moment though everything works as normal.
Ummm, That's scary!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Traverse just recently started having this issue @ 38,000 miles. I put car in park, then get a warning to "shift to park". I have to jiggle the shifter to get it to engage and clear the warning. Took it into the dealership, they said there is a TSB out on this issue. They want me to pay $500 for the replacement of Shifter Assembly and Harness. I was not happy with this, since it is a common issue, with a faulty part. I was advised to contact Chevy Customer Care - waste of time. Their exact words were your vehicle is out of warranty, therefore we do not cover the repair. But, they'd be happy to sell me an extended warranty! It would not cover this repair, but anything moving forward. Yeah, ok. So if GM is aware of this faulty part on their 2018 Travers, why would they not recall it or at least foot the bill when it does occur? Man, it's been many years since I owned a GM vehicle. I know back in 2000, if there was a TSB on my GMC Jimmy, the dealership fixed the issue at no charge, even with being out of warranty. My vehicle is just past the bumper to bumper warranty, and they still expect me to pay for a known faulty part? I will sell this Traverse back to the dealership in a heartbeat if this is how GM/Chevy handles customer service.
I had the same issue with my 2018, had to bump the lever to get it to clear. Mileage about 35,000. Took it in to my dealer, they said they had seen that before and fixed it at no charge. Took a day to get the part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This problem has been experienced by hundreds, if not thousands of Traverse, Acadia, Denali and other owners. There is a design defect ( incorrect micro-switch, in my opinion) in the shift assembley. The entire assembly has to be replaced. Since this is a known defect, you would think GM would pay for it but they will not. This will cost you $500. I don't know it the new shift assembly has a different switch so even a new one may fail prematurely.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Given the losses, deaths, and bad PR they took regarding the lousy ignition switches on many of the last decade's models, you'd think they'd be sensitive to this switch issue - but apparently NOT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts