Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with any and I mean any ideas on how get a sezed engine on our 2012 traverse to free up. It ran low on oil and my better half started it up in the parking lot doing some errands earlier, started shaking and lights in the dash came on then sezed up. It won鈥檛 turn over or anything. We watched a video on YouTube earlier about a guy was lucky by pulling the plugs and filling each cylinder with marvel oil and letting it sit for several days then turned the crankshaft bolt with a brake over bar and it loosened up and started. Gonna try this but any help would be amazing.
Thanks for reading.

Registered
Yea that's about as good a plan as any I could suggest.

Registered
Sounds like a plan...but I don't know how successful you'll be. It may allow you to turn over the crank/piston assemblies, but if it seized, then you will have scoring of the internal metal surfaces--bearings, cylinder walls, cam lobes and lifters, rings, etc. The engine MAY even run on it's own, but it will be a "ticking time bomb" waiting to cause further issues. If it turns over, plan to pull and rebuild; as a minimum, plan to pull the heads and drop the pan to look for internal damage. Good luck.

Registered
I did that on a car, 289 Ford engine back in the 70's when I got back from an overseas deployment that my beloved Ex ran dry and seized up, and then ran it for another 50,000 miles. It took a long breaker bar. I'm not sure how that will work on today's cars with the tight clearances, but it's worth a try. Make sure you rotate the crank 360 degrees at least a couple of times before you try to start it to make sure the Marvel oil is distributed well. It is possible the crank seized, and in that case, you're probably screwed. If it started and actually ran well, I would change the oil, but fill it with the 5-30 Mobil I for high mileage engines. Yes, people I know it's not Dexos, but if you read the spec sheets, you will find that the Dexos is a fuel mileage test, not a protection test. Dexos is made from a thinner base stock. (I'll debate that in a different thread if someone likes) With the damage that is probably in your engine, an oil that is for worn engines is probably more in order. As for the oil, my friend has used the high mileage in his 3.6 caddy engine (same engine) since 80,000 miles, now has 320,000 miles on it without having opened it for any reason.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info. As soon as I try and get it running, if it will start and run. I will change the oil and it will be heading to the dealership and will be getting a new vehicle for my better half. I will let you guys know what happens this week, probably on Tuesday will try and hope for the best.

Registered
Good luck with the oil etc. I would suggest leaving it sit for at least a week and then using a long extension bar and socket;try to turn the crank shaft pull bolt back and forth to see if it moves. Trying to use the starter may hose it up. Hope it helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts