Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fabulous Traverse decided to have MORE electrical glitches, now it has taken to randomly showing Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction Control. A quick search turned up similar problems involving wheel sensors which also showed the ABS warning lamp, but I'm not seeing any ABS faults. I've seen it happen immediately after putting it in reverse, but I've also seen it while driving along the highway. I just hear "ding ding ding", see the traction control lamp, and can just make out the service messages on my failing DIC display.

Sad that my 40 year old MG Midget with the notorious Lucas electrical system is being extremely reliable compared to a 6 year old Chevy. In the 2 years I've had it, I've had:

Driver's door speaker failed
Power mirror switch failed
Right headlight burned out
Both rear turn signals burned out
Left front marker light burned out
left rear window switch can only put the window down, won't put the window up
Service Stabilitrak/Traction Control randomly showing
Odometer/DIC display failing, only readable at night or if I cover up the daylight sensor
Driver's door open switch failing randomly, sometimes have to open and close the door multiple times to get the radio to turn off
Spare key fob died after using it once, won't do anything and can't re-learn even with a new battery
Takes multiple attempts to re-learn the TPMS sensors after rotating tires, it seems to get confused and thinks it's done after doing 2 or 3 wheels

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aaaand it must have heard me, it threw a check engine light last night for the intake air temperature sensor, which mysteriously healed itself after I cleared the code. Scan tool shows IAT data that looks real, so I don't know what caused it. I can only hope there's a faulty connection somewhere that's the root of all these intermittent problems.

·
Registered
445 Posts
sparkydave said:
Aaaand it must have heard me, it threw a check engine light last night for the intake air temperature sensor, which mysteriously healed itself after I cleared the code. Scan tool shows IAT data that looks real, so I don't know what caused it. I can only hope there's a faulty connection somewhere that's the root of all these intermittent problems.
Yeah that sounds like a grounding issue or something in the electrical system. Bad alternator? Maybe needs a battery replacement?

Per chance is it possible the car was in an accident before you brought it?

I know these cars have their known issues, but that many electrical problems is a bit of an oddball, or screams that it was the first car off the line Monday morning at 6am after the Lions lost on Sunday night football!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
sparkydave said:
Hi there sparkydave,

We're so sorry to hear about these ongoing concerns you're experiencing with your Traverse. Have you taken it into your dealership for a diagnosis yet? If not, please feel free to private message us if you'd like assistance in setting up an appointment.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out the traction control errors and check engine light probably were related; my check engine light came on again for the mass air flow sensor, and a Google search pointed me to a post here from rbarrios from years ago (thanks rbarrios!) where the harness for his IAT/MAF sensor was unplugged, which triggered the check engine light and traction control errors. Turns out my connector wasn't latched in place. I checked the pins for corrosion and reattached it properly, no check engine lights or traction control messages yet. Maybe that's all the latest problems were.

Only accident it had was a minor collision to the rear bumper which dented the plastic and cracked a license lamp, but the dealer fixed them when I bought it. Alternator and battery check out. The odometer display may just be bad luck; somebody else here has the same problem. The mirror switch was badly corroded, like maybe the door or window were left open and rain got into it, so that could be attributed to the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
NeverAgainGM4US said:
I really don't know where to start ;D We bought a grand new 2011 Traverse LT, just about a week later we started having problems. The engine would shut off while driving, the intermittent stinky smell, the vibration when braking, etc. We made numerous visit to different dealership...non of the problems we have ever been fixed just because they never able to duplicate any of these problems. Today this piece of crap is again at the dealership with a $99 diagnosis charge to figure out what the heck is "Traction Control Off", "Brake", and "Brake System Service" that we keep getting lately mean? I personally will never buy another GM car and I will talk to anyone that I know to steer away from it.
Hello NeverAgainGM4US,

We're terribly sorry to learn you've been having such a hard time with your Traverse. Please know every effort has been made to assure excellent quality vehicles for our customers and we do genuinely appreciate your feedback. If you'd like, we'd be happy to provide as an additional layer of assistance while the vehicle is being serviced and review your situation in greater detail. We're available via private message and would need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and involved dealership to move forward.

Kind regards,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Take any car with over 50K on the clock to a dealer and guess what - it need new brake shoes. Isn't that funny? Doesn't matter if all your driving is in the city or on the interstate - you need new brake shoes! :happy:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I put about 110,000 miles on my Traverse before putting new brake pads on. And I could have gone longer! :blob:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
NeverAgainGM4US said:
I really don't know where to start ;D We bought a grand new 2011 Traverse LT, just about a week later we started having problems. The engine would shut off while driving, the intermittent stinky smell, the vibration when braking, etc. We made numerous visit to different dealership...non of the problems we have ever been fixed just because they never able to duplicate any of these problems. Today this piece of crap is again at the dealership with a $99 diagnosis charge to figure out what the heck is "Traction Control Off", "Brake", and "Brake System Service" that we keep getting lately mean? I personally will never buy another GM car and I will talk to anyone that I know to steer away from it.
There have been other owners who have had a leak in the master brake cylinder or unit. The fluid never showed up on the ground because it stayed inside the closed portion of the body as it leaked down. The Traction Control Light, Brake, and Brake System Service light will come on it the master cylinder leaks and the fluid gets too low.

Search the entire site for master cylinder leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Chevy might kill me, my children, other drivers

My Chevy is such a lemon and I could just burst into tears at this point. In addition to fixing things like the defroster, water pump, rear windshield wiper, back-seat door hatch, I have had the car dangerously break-down on me 3 times now in the last 6 months. I get the Stabilitrack/traction control/ engine power reduced messages. Then I lose speed. This has happened to me on a highway going 65 MPH, and suddenly I'm going 25 MPH and cars are swerving all over to avoid me. My 5 and 4 year olds were in the car. The other times, I was on 40MPG city roads, not exactly a lot safer.

I've taken it to 3 different mechanics and nobody can diagnose. Finally I have an appointment at the dealership--I had previously not made this appointment because of the 10 day wait and $100 fee. But now, it's just too dangerous. I am stunned that GM hasn't recalled on this issue...maybe they're waiting for a body count. But I'm a single mom and make $30k per year. Chevy needs to make this right and make this safe for me, and I just can't/won't pay for it. For crying out loud, they've already milked me with the overpriced piece of garbage and the other repairs. And you can't even register for this site without watching a commercial for the captia. They were bailed out with my tax dollars, and they are making money hand over fist, and by God they better make this right.

If anybody has suggestions, please advise.

Jackalope

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
what did the 3 1st mechanics look into?

any codes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The last one determined that the Grease Monkey that did my oil change didn't tighten things down enough. The others reset the codes and then it started acting normal again, until it didn't.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
what did the 3 1st mechanics look into?

any codes?
The last one determined that the Grease Monkey that did my oil change didn't tighten things down enough. The others reset the codes and then it started acting normal again, until it didn't.
You didn't answer the question. Need know the codes.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
we need to know the codes that were present and reset-- so we can have a clue as to what the engine/computer was detecting wrong.

Or else-- were just guessing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Service Stabilitrak /Service traction control

I am having the same problem with my 2010 Chevy Traverse.This car has had problems since day one. But recently the Service Stabilitrak /Service traction control comes on. Brought it to my mechanic after the light went off and no trouble found. it goes off and on everyday. My DIC display also goes on and off almost everyday. My turn signals burn out all the time and we realized that water is always in the lights. My power mirrors and power windows would not work, my husband took the controls on the door apart and cleaned all the contacts and they now work. There are other electrical problems but taking them one step at a time. I am going to try and look at the connections this weekend for the traction control. Thank you for posting this info

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ongoing Issues - While Chevy pretends there isn't one

I just had a nice exchange with some GM "Customer Service" people regarding my Traverse with the extremely common Brake/Stabilitrak issues. Although my wife complained at the dealership about the problem 50,000 miles ago, now they want me to pay for another diagnostic because it's "outside the warranty". That's the way they roll! I'm glad Chevy reminded me why I would never buy a new GM vehicle again (let alone one produced since the bailout).

Has anyone discussed a class action lawsuit yet? There's only thousands and thousands of complaints regarding the same vehicle systems.:mad:

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I just had a nice exchange with some GM "Customer Service" people regarding my Traverse with the extremely common Brake/Stabilitrak issues. Although my wife complained at the dealership about the problem 50,000 miles ago, now they want me to pay for another diagnostic because it's "outside the warranty". That's the way they roll! I'm glad Chevy reminded me why I would never buy a new GM vehicle again (let alone one produced since the bailout).

Has anyone discussed a class action lawsuit yet? There's only thousands and thousands of complaints regarding the same vehicle systems.:mad:
Believe it or not--- the Stabilitrack message can come on for MANY MANY MANY... reasons.
Its not always because of an issue with the stabilitrack message.

It sounds like you got the message a while back-- and 50,000 miles later-- the message has popped up again.
I do agree--- that new diagnostics have to be run to check what caused the message to appear.
50,000 between messages is a long time mileage wise.

Like I said- we here on the boards have realized that it can be one of MANY things to trigger that message.
Not sure how you can get a class action on a safety related message... letting you know to look into something.

By the way-- winter is approaching--- and if you have not cleaned your Throttle body-- get ready for Reduced engine power messages to pop up on your DIC.

From what youve posted-- I think you got a little mad... a little too soon.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Did the original complaint net any changes or replacements to the vehicle? It would be safe to assume that most other car makers would have you do the same thing....after 50k miles...and you would pay for it unless it mapped back to a SB/Recall/under warrantee.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts