Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife came with a 2012 Traverse that in my opinion too advanced for its brain. Non the less. Power steering pump went out. Replaced. Steering rack goes out 2 weeks later. Replaced. 2 weeks later....DING DING DING service stabilitrak.......traction control off.....four wheel drive off......abs light on and constantly shuttering when brake pedal pressed.....changed hub assemblies.......same. I've been through almost every discussion about this and through alot of pages and forums. If there is a mechanic god please come forth.....I do love my wife but........

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Make her a surprise tomorrow. Get her a brand new one .

·
Registered
703 Posts
Trade in the Wife, not the vehicle. J/K . Have you seen the threads where it is the Fuse Box being the cause of these messages?
Of course it may be several things, even as simple as topping off the brake fluid. First thing to check is the Under Hood Fuse Box. Make sure the connections are secure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had to replace the ABS computer module in our 2011. My ABS and Stabilitrak light had been on for over a year. When mechanics checked it, the scan kept telling them it was a wheel sensor but it wasn't. Lights off now after an $800 repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had to replace the ABS computer module in our 2011. My ABS and Stabilitrak light had been on for over a year. When mechanics checked it, the scan kept telling them it was a wheel sensor but it wasn't. Lights off now after an $800 repair.
Thank you I will investigate that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen on my 2010 Traverse LT. Bells ringing, dash said Stabilitrak, and brake system need servicing. I added brake fluid, problem solved!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had exactly the same thing happen on my 2010 Traverse LT. Bells ringing, dash said Stabilitrak, and brake system need servicing. I added brake fluid, problem solved!
That's funny. I'm pretty sure it's good but I guess you never know lmao.glad that worked for you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
These messages are software generated. Who knows what sensor or sensors giving variable, signals will trigger them. I had the Trio on my 2008 Outlook, Stabilitrack, Traction Control, Service Stabilitrack along with a freezing throttle body during the polar vortex several years ago. It took my excellent mechanic several hours of troubleshooting, He found the messages were caused by a bad mass air flow sensor. My freezing throttle body was dud to clogged PCV. The Moisture and Oil, milkshake in the air intake was causing the MAF to go bad, cleaning it didn't work, they needed replacement. Once in the summer I got the messages, air intake was clean, brake fluid was low, topped off problem solved.
It would be nice if the GM engineers could develop a program which detects the true cause of these annoying messages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These messages are software generated. Who knows what sensor or sensors giving variable, signals will trigger them. I had the Trio on my 2008 Outlook, Stabilitrack, Traction Control, Service Stabilitrack along with a freezing throttle body during the polar vortex several years ago. It took my excellent mechanic several hours of troubleshooting, He found the messages were caused by a bad mass air flow sensor. My freezing throttle body was dud to clogged PCV. The Moisture and Oil, milkshake in the air intake was causing the MAF to go bad, cleaning it didn't work, they needed replacement. Once in the summer I got the messages, air intake was clean, brake fluid was low, topped off problem solved.
It would be nice if the GM engineers could develop a program which detects the true cause of these annoying messages.
Thank you for you knowledge of experience. I will try this..I have nothing to lose at this point lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad you posted this! I had the same problem, and adding brake fluid solved it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I noticed that when my light came on and I reached my distination my brake lights were activated as if my foot was on the brake. My guess is that the brake switch on the pedal is bad and as a result the car sees the brake light on and thinks the traction control is it working. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
My guess is that the brake switch on the pedal is bad and as a result the car sees the brake light on and thinks the traction control is it working. Anyone else notice this?
If the Stabilitrak light in ON, but the cruise control wont work, there is a very good chance the brake light switch has failed and the lights are stuck ON. ( The cruise control disengages when you tap the brakes and the switch turns on the brake lights.)

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is one thread where the Forum Member had the Messages, He didn't replace the Brake Pedal Position Sensor, He just filed the tab down to get a better adjustment on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is one thread where the Forum Member had the Messages, He didn't replace the Brake Pedal Position Sensor, He just filed the tab down to get a better adjustment on it.
I'll look into this in the next few days. I learned to ignore it since it's not causing me any driveablity issues and it comes on infrequently and without an event. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's how my 08 was, infrequent, I figured it would be impossible to troubleshoot since no mechanic would be able to duplicate the issue. Then when it wouldn't shut off, I brought it to my mechanic, he spent a good day on it tracing it down to the Mass Air Flow Sensor, he cleaned it but during the test drive it came back, he had to replace it. Problem solved. At this point he brought to my attention the Milkshake inside the Air Intake Snorkel, he cleaned it and we went on our merry way.
Fast forward to the winter when the Polar Vortex hit. I was driving down the interstate 65MPH one Minute and 20 the next, Reduced Engine Power, Stabilitrack, Traction Control. Pulled over for 5 minutes trying to figure out what happened. Started up and went on our way with no more issues. The milkshake froze the throttle body, the 5 minutes on the side of the road defrosted it. For the next two months it was living H**L in the cold. I replaced about 6 MAFs, water pouring out of the Air Intake snorkel. Then I found out about the mod to clear the PCV system and have very few problems afterward. In my opinion, the milkshake was causing the MAFs to go bad. One summer I had the Stabilitrack Message, topped off the Brake Fluid, problem solved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts