Traverse Forum banner

Securing Gas Tank

15K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  babsd 
#1 ·
I feel my question is simple but no one seems to be talking about it: Can you secure a gas tank on a Chevy Traverse 2020?

It has been about 10 years since I purchased a new vehicle and while I think it is pretty cool to be able to access the gas tank without a release switch or cover on new vehicles, I do see a security risk; someone can dump... Sugar into your tank very easily. I had a keyed cover on the tank of my older vehicle.

Am I over thinking this?

#2 ·
I remember seeing some discussion about this.
But the major concern was water/dust intrusion into the tank.

I know the Silverados have some AC DELCO locking cap available for the capless system.. but it only shows its available for the the Silverado.
But other folks took care of the water intrusion by buying pipe caps.

Go thorugh this thread and see if you can apply anything from their discussion.

#3 ·
Yes I think you are. BUT! it all depends on your environment and were you frequent your parking. Gas prices have stabilized over the pass 3-4 years and so the incentive to steal gas is not as great. As far as malicious damage such as adding a foreign material to a tank, well that depends on who has it in for you. My little Ford Escape does not even have a gas cap, just a door.

#15 ·
Vandalism is covered by your insurance company. It IS NOT any kind of a warranty problem. My gas door can only be opened engine off keyless entry unlocked.
Both the 2018 and 2019 Owners Manuals simply say:

To open the fuel door, push and
release the rearward center edge of
the door.

I'd be surprised if the 2020's were any different, but it's possible.

So the only difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 is that Gen 1 has a non-locking cap and Gen 2 doesn't have a cap. So basically, the OP's fear that someone can put something in his gas tank would apply to essentially ALL Gen 1's, too, as very few people buy locking gas caps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.